Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Local cartoonist and animator Ken Muse has died

Ken Muse was Gee-Whiz the clown on the 1950's WXYZ-TV kids show "Wixie's Wonderland," animated on the classic Roy O'Brien Ford commercial and created the bizarre 1960's comic strip "Way Out."
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/Ken_Muse.htm

Many of us know the Roy O' Brien commercial by heart because of the song and the commercial artistry of Ken Muse. Thanks for bringing his life's work to our attention. My condolences to his family and friends.

Ken's wife Irene was my childhood piano teacher. I was a terrible student in part because I was more interested in Ken's cartooning studio than practicing my lesson. Ken once gave me a tour around his small workspace and although I was never a student of his, it influenced me a great deal and I began to draw comics and cartoons as a hobby.

One piece he was proud of was a comic strip featuring a real photograph of the moon that he had taken with a telescope. Going to the length of not only using a real photo but using one's own for such a common image was a subtle influence on the way that I personalize small details in my own work.

I never knew any of his other biographical information, so thanks to those who built that site!

on the right track to 9 mile and Mack..... Classic Detroit jingle, RIP Mr O'Brien