Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default John Conyers to endorse Mayor Cockrel

Leonard N. Fleming
    The Detroit News

http://detnews.com/article/20090424/...Mayor+Cockrel+

Cockrel campaign manager Jim Edmondson....declined to speculate about why Conyers endorsed the mayor, given his contentious relationship with his wife, who took over as council president when Cockrel became mayor following Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's resignation last fall.

Couldn't have anything to do with helping Monica hang on to her interim Council President position could it?

rugbyman Guest

I think you're overstating his concern about her career more than a bit.

MIRepublic Guest

At least on this issue, one can't help but to wonder how this is playing out in that family. Unfortunately, politics are all about professional and personal dynamics, much of the time. I wouldn't think, though, that this would have anything to do about helping her keep the presidents seat. Not only did she recently hint that she may have had enough, but polls released shows she doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping the top spot, which, remember, she fell into accidentially, anyway. The citizens didn't make her president.

All of the inside baseball aside, this is a huge endorsement for Cockrel.

I'm not so sure. It could be the kiss of death!

Who wouldn't like to be a fly on the wall to listen in on that domestic debate.

One has to give Monica credit, she has brokered a married name into an office position. But then so have names like Cockerel, Kilpatrick, Cavanaugh and Callahan helped. Maybe instead of term limits, we need name limits?

Bearinabox Guest

How about stupidity limits?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I'm not so sure. It could be the kiss of death!
    Why? John Conyers has managed to remain quite popular, so far as I can tell, despite his wife's histrionics.

My take: Whoever the Free Press endorses loses, especially if establishment politicians like the Conyers get behind him. Wish he would talk some sense to his wife, though.

Retroit Guest

Maybe he enjoys watching his wife make an ass of herself now that she is on a power trip as Council President.

Maybe he has decided not to "own" his wife's foolishness. There are few things more liberating than realizing that you are neither responsible nor accountable for the behavior of another adult, especially one that you did not spawn or raise.

Of course, you are partially responsible if you are "enabling" their misbehavior, but there is no indication that he is doing so.

Or maybe he doesn't want her to join him in DC because he knows it's not looking good for her to be re-elected and he is trying hard to keep her in Detroit.

Channel 4 showed footage of John Conyers' presser where he announced his endorsement of Cockrel. I couldn't help but notice--because there were several long closeups of Conyers' left hand side--that he was not wearing a wedding band. Is this something new, or has he never worn one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    How about stupidity limits?
    Be careful. According to Monica, it's racist for people to call her "stupid".

In the recent months I haven't notice a ring on his finger. I read an article a couple months ago that implied they were separated. Even if that's not the case, everyone knows Mr. Conyers has residence in Washington. On the other topic, Conyers supporting Cockrel has nothing to do with Monica retaining her current position. She is elected by the people.

The story that has been told in Detroit for over 20 years is John Conyers is gay and he only recently married Crack Head Monica to cover it up. Why else would a man get married in his 60's to a nut case like her. I will never vote for him again. It's time for him and his Crack Head Wife to go.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    In the recent months I haven't notice a ring on his finger. I read an article a couple months ago that implied they were separated. Even if that's not the case, everyone knows Mr. Conyers has residence in Washington. On the other topic, Conyers supporting Cockrel has nothing to do with Monica retaining her current position. She is elected by the people.
    There IS the notion, whether real or perceived that Mr. Conyers has an interest in supporting Cockrel as Mayor to keep Monica in the position of Council President. If Cockrel looses, he would return to his position on City Council. I'm sure Monica would pursue legal means in an attempt to block Cockrel from returning as Council President.
    Last edited by leland_palmer; April-29-09 at 10:46 AM.