Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default City seeks ideas for Tiger Stadium site

"City seeks ideas for former Tiger Stadium site"

http://www.freep.com/article/2010061...r-Stadium-site

Hey, here's an idea: Save the original Navin Field configuration of the historic property thanks to a multimillion-dollar federal earmark, develop the rest of the site into a ballfield and park and ... oh, wait, you tore that down because you had a better plan ... which .... apparently doesn't ... exist. That's visionary leadership, folks.

Build a stadium and let the Tigers and Lions play there. And maybe have some community events like the Detroit Firemen's Field Day.

Mixed use? what? no Walmart?!

They knocked it down because it was an eyesore. Now it's an eyesore and they need something to do with it.

I'd like to propose that we knock down the field. Maybe we can get Adamo to turn it into a hole in the ground. That way there will be nothing left to be an eyesore. It's win-win.

I say that we could build a magnificent, 1:1 scale model of the Lafayette Building on the site. It might not be the most beautiful building ever, but it beats the garbage and used condoms currently occupying the site.

Maybe we can get Adamo to turn it into a hole in the ground.

Maybe we could circulate a rumor that Jimmy Hoffa is buried there and let the Feds dig the hole.

How about making it a softball park, keeping the original field intact. Use volunteers to keep up the field. Use some of the original base's, and make a big monument, explaining what the site is, and the greats that have ran the bases there.
    In 50 years I doubt anyone will care much, so do it now, not next century.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Maybe we could circulate a rumor that Jimmy Hoffa is buried there and let the Feds dig the hole.
    Or maybe we can get Adamo to turn it into a sinkhole.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Heyyyy!! You stole my joke...

This is bullshit. The Corktown neighborhood has already made it clear to the city what they wanted at that site, and have the money to do it. The DEGC apparently doesn't care what we think. As long as they are able to demonstrate total control over a historically sensitive site that brings out the raw emotions of young and old, black and white, to show the rest of the region who is really in charge of development in this town. Cuz it's certainly not the residents. The DEGC won't send a rep to a meeting, send us a letter, nothing.

I don't really care about that site personally. I'm too detached to appreciate it and never liked baseball. But i am sensitive to the needs and wants of my community, and a mixed use development that is unlikely to fit in with the historical fabric of the neighborhood is definitely not one of them.

We should build a giant statue of George Jackson on the site. Just so everyone knows who is responsible for the current condition.

Does anyone know if the Stadium Conservancy going to submit a proposal? No need to let the money earmarked by Levin go to someone else without vying for it themselves.
    Last edited by kraig; June-17-10 at 06:28 PM.

OH,,,,, NOW they ask?

From the Free Press comments on this article, I love this suggestion for the use of the former Tiger Stadium grounds.

Why don't they build a 60-foot high memorial statue of Kwame with his arms out-stretched to the sky and a baseball glove on one hand?

People driving down I-75 could see it from both directions for miles.

There could be a museum and gift-shop souvenir mall and refreshment stands.

They could nickname the statue "Foul-ball Mayor"?

[[Just kidding. I'm a kidder... It's time to get serious again.)

Good idea! I'll get my people working on it. We can hold birthday vigils there!

Sell inflatable Christine Beatty dolls in the gift shop.

Build a colossal underground parking garage and hope that developers line up to build on the site?

Build what was there prior to the ballpark, a haymarket.

Someone else I know suggested " a sheppard's school." because "Detroit has a history with meat" !?!?!

Fire George Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Build a colossal underground parking garage and hope that developers line up to build on the site?
    LOL, I guess you thought highly of my comment in that other thread. :-P

They tore down Tiger Stadium? When did THAT happen?

DetroitDad Guest

First, Corktown residents should have a say. The city should be boosting community pride.

However, in my opinion, the best fit for that area would probably be a park and residential housing similar to whats in Corktown. A commercial spine would span Michigan Avenue.

10 years from now, I'll say that Corktown is a desirable place to live for an urban family. It really all hinges on the presentation of Michigan Avenue. Dare I suggest sectioning it up and selling affordable building plots to young families and entrepreneurs?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; June-18-10 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Structure

Default softball complex

I love the idea of building a softball complex!

A cemetery for veteran ballplayers.

A cemetery for George Jackson's credibility

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    They tore down Tiger Stadium? When did THAT happen?
    I pray you're kidding.

I've been a part of several area focus groups and wouldn't waste my time on another. My favorite was for east area development input where planners unfolded the 1st meetings objectives. There was no first meeting, not a soul in the room had heard of it. After a presentation of what this ficticious meeting produced, we were supposed to break into small focus groups to expand on an obvious city planned agenda. Most of the fifty attendees just took a walk in disgust..

My wishes go to successful input to Corktown residents and businesses but I wouldn't hold my breath on voices actually getting heard and being given credence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast