Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Auto exhaust repair recommendations

I've got a 2004 Saturn VUE that needs a new exhaust manifold and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on good exhaust repair shops, preferably in or near SW Detroit? The car is still drivable enough to take it in for repair, but it's noisy as hell so I don't want to have to drive it too far. Towing is an absolute last resort option; I can barely afford the repair at this point [[at least based on the estimate a Tuffy in Ypsi gave me.)

Google turned up some shops but they didn't really have much in the way of reviews. I use this car ~75 miles a day, 5 days a week, so I need this done right. I'm looking to drop this sucker off for repair either this weekend or first thing next week, and it would be nice if it was done by the end of next week.

Default Garage

I'm been going to Towers Garage on Gratiot and I-75 for 20 years. Call them and describe your problem. Good service at reasonable prices. 567-1711

If you don't mind some freeway driving, I HIGHLY recommend Madison Muffler on John R between 12 and 13 Mile Roads.

They do great work, don't charge an arm and a leg and also warranty their work.

[[248) 588-5900

Toolbox Guest

Since you said the keyword "afford"

This is probably your cheapest option: http://www.ehow.com/how_4509306_repl...aturn-vue.html

Have someone double check to make sure it's your exhaust manifold. Check Saturn recalls as well. What kind of noise is it making? Rattling, or just loud? How much was Tuffy going to charge you?

Make sure it really is the manifold. I would be surprised unless there was previous engine problems. My thought is check the "doughnut" gasket between the manifold and the rest of the exhaust system. Or maybe a flexible portion of the exaust system near the engine that may have fatigued apart. Good luck.

I would check out Muffler King on Ford Rd in Westland. They do good work and are about the cheapest place I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Have someone double check to make sure it's your exhaust manifold. Check Saturn recalls as well. What kind of noise is it making? Rattling, or just loud? How much was Tuffy going to charge you?
    It sounds like there's no muffler on the car, except the noise is most definitely coming from under the hood and not from the back. It's almost deafening to drive...and you can smell it leaking, which is the main reason I stopped driving it when it started happening. It actually broke in February and I had to drive it home from Ypsi to Detroit, with the windows down in freezing weather to make sure I didn't get CO poisoning.

I did originally check for recalls. All I could find was one that said "Exhaust manifold bolts work loose causing noise that may be misdiagnosed as lifter tap". But this definitely doesn't sound like lifter tap noise. I definitely want to have someone actually double check before fixing it, which is why I want to find some place that specializes in exhaust problems.

Tuffy quoted me around $600 including parts & labor.

Just had some work done at Mufflers, Brakes and More@ 12 Mile and Little Mack. Tel 586 445 1658.Sounds similar to the problem noise and leakage through the opened windows. Had that repaired and the AC recharged for under $200. In and out in under two hours.

I second Mufflers, Brakes and More - they do excellent work, although they aren't the cheapest around [[nor the most expensive). They usually can complete work while you wait. However, they are not located very close to SW Detroit.
    Last edited by milt721; June-18-10 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Campus Auto
    2960 East Grand Blvd
    Detroit [[313) 873-4655
    I've used them several times. Not the closest to me but the fairest. I've seen cars and SUVs from DMC there for repair.

I used to take my car to Firestone on Michigan near Rosa Parks. They were pretty good. Don't know how they are now, but Firestone places are generally reliable for routine kinds of jobs.