Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boycott British Petroleum

Boycott British Pertroleum:

Americans, BP has been very slow of cleaning up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and out U.S. Gulf Coasts. It's time to do a nationwide boycott of all BP gas stations. I, Danny, The Street Prophet, will boycott BP by not going to their gas stations. I would like for every American People to stop buying gas from BP until they clean up every last of their oil spill and cap the leak.

WHO'S WITH ME!

I'm with you, Danny.

Stosh Guest

You are just hurting the independent dealers of BP products.

BP has hurt the independent dealers of BP products.

never was a bp gal anyway.

Two-thirds of BP employees are USAmerican. BP sells gas to other fuel suppliers so when you go to the nearest Quick Stop, you never know where the fuel came from. After the $20B runs out, BP profits will have to pay for ongoing bills. No profit eventually means no ability to pay. Reading BBC letters, there is consideration of walling off BP America from BP worldwide to limit damages to the company. So boycotting won't do much good but this is a free country and if it makes you feel better, then go for it. Selling your car and using a bicycle and mass transit would do more good though.

Boycott British Pertroleum

And risk hurting your own local economy possibly putting local workers out of a job?

How does that make sense?

actually what needs to happen is that all BP profits should be Taxed until all costs are recovered..we cant allow them to declare bankruptcy and get off from paying their bill...

No, for all the reasons others have stated -- you will only hurt the local small biz folks. around here, most get their gas from Marathon anyway

BP has to pay to fix the mess, the people who's lives have been damaged, and much much more. They can't do it if they go bankrupt. It will then become the Government's problem, which in turn means the taxpayer will be paying for it all.

Boycott BP, put them out of business, then it all comes out of our own pockets.
    BP has been very slow of cleaning up the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and out U.S. Gulf Coasts
    Obama clearly stated right before operation "Top Kill" that the Government has been in charge since day 1. [[But after the fix failed, it became BP's fault again)

I passed a BP station off of I-77 [[one of the large service stations). There wasn't a single car getting gas. Looked like the Jack in Boxes after the E. coli deaths.

^^^^ That's not unusual in itself. I see gas stations of all brands everyday that don't have cars at the pumps. To be convincing, you'd have to show that there has never been a time in the past since the station opened where no cars were fueling.

Lately I've noticed a good majority of the BP stations in Detroit proper have been coverting to either Citgo [[I know, right?), Marathon or just no brand what so ever.

If you sit at a port and watch them pump out the oil/gasoline, trucks pull up from Hess/BP/Mobil/Exxon, ect ect ect and hook up to the same hose from the same tanker and fill all thier trucks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    BP has to pay to fix the mess, the people who's lives have been damaged, and much much more. They can't do it if they go bankrupt. It will then become the Government's problem, which in turn means the taxpayer will be paying for it all.

Boycott BP, put them out of business, then it all comes out of our own pockets.
    By that logic, we should all double our support of BP.

Yeah, but not if they don't clean up thier act
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showpos...&postcount=158

You guys do know that BP is also owned by an nice big AMERICAN oil company right?

What short memories some of us have...

The states most affected are among the ones who's congressional delegations were screaming the loudest against loaning money to GM and Chrysler!!

Count me out of a boycott... maybe Michigan will get some of the beach loving summer vacationers who've had a change of plans....
    Last edited by Gistok; June-18-10 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You guys do know that BP is also owned by an nice big AMERICAN oil company right?
    Are you referring to the Amoco merger?

It's kind of hard to determine a local ownership of a multinational corporation. It is on both the London and New York stock exchanges. BP America is based in Houston but BP itself is based in London.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    actually what needs to happen is that all BP profits should be Taxed until all costs are recovered..we cant allow them to declare bankruptcy and get off from paying their bill...
    I like this idea, as long as it was somehow taxed on future corporate profits and not forced on the local independent dealer. The "little" guy had nothing to do with this problem, The 20 Billion already pledged toward clean-up, shows enough potential cash flow, to cover the entire cost of this mishap?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Are you referring to the Amoco merger?

It's kind of hard to determine a local ownership of a multinational corporation. It is on both the London and New York stock exchanges. BP America is based in Houston but BP itself is based in London.
    NPR said roughly 60% of its stock is owned by the British with the other 40% American investors.

All the oil was going to go on the open market as a commodity and countries such as China could have bought it up. That's why I don't understand all the drill baby drill crowd, they seem not to understand that there is no guarantee that oil from Alaska will go directly to our gas tanks.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; June-18-10 at 05:46 PM.

Detroitej72: Do you honestly believe that even one drop of crude oil produced in the U.S. is sold to other countries? Ridiculous. You do realize, don't you, that it costs money to ship oil somewhere else. While we're importing 60+% of our oil, why would anyone sell it somewhere else? Oil is fungible. Aside from differences in A.P.I. specific gravity, which affects price, oil is pretty much the same wherever produced. Hasn't this been covered elsewhere on the forum several times?

BP is not present in Nevada. Does it market it's products by any other brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    You are just hurting the independent dealers of BP products.
    " BP just hurt the gulf coast!"

"Two-thirds of BP employees are USAmerican. BP sells gas to other fuel suppliers so when you go to the nearest Quick Stop, you never know where the fuel came from. After the $20B runs out, BP profits will have to pay for ongoing bills. No profit eventually means no ability to pay. Reading BBC letters, there is consideration of walling off BP America from BP worldwide to limit damages to the company. So boycotting won't do much good but this is a free country and if it makes you feel better, then go for it. Selling your car and using a bicycle and mass transit would do more good though."

"BP can survive without its American supporters. They have other international alternatives to make a profit. BP has been scooping OUR OIL from the Gulf Coast for years and make a Exxon/Valdez mistake when one of the oil rigs caught on fire killing 11 workers and spilling over 36,000,000,000 gallons of rude crude and methane into the Gulf of Mexico wiping out 10% of wildlife, destroying 1/3rd of fishing industry and cancelling beach resort reservations. BP was ill prepared for this eco-crisis and they are very slow of capping the leak."

"Wait til you go into your local supermarket looking for some Southern Creole cooking packages. The prices for southern gulf seafood will be severely high."

"No, for all the reasons others have stated -- you will only hurt the local small biz folks. around here, most get their gas from Marathon anyway "

"The shimp, oysters and 1/3 of the southern gulf fishing industry businesses is hurting already. They are having a hard time recoving from Hurricane Katrina."

" And risk hurting your own local economy possibly putting local workers out of a job? How does that make sense?"

"Some workers of southern gulf region are out of the job. Others turn to alternative jobs like working for BP to clean up their mess!"

"No, for all the reasons others have stated -- you will only hurt the local small biz folks. around here, most get their gas from Marathon anyway"

"It's better to get gas from another brand[[ who is following safety precausions) to keep the competition going."

"By that logic, we should all double our support of BP. "

"For me NO NO NO! I will not go to BP anymore until they clean up their mess. Every American should join the fight. Some Americans will help BP clean up their mess, but buying their gas the oil for them must be capped and to promote an embargo towards the U.S. Market."

"Count me out of a boycott... maybe Michigan will get some of the beach loving summer vacationers who've had a change of plans.... "

"It's your decision, but caring for our fragile planet comes first to ensure a cleaner green future for the children."

WORD FROM STREET PROPHET!

Do you part to save the enviroment for Neda's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^^^ That's not unusual in itself. I see gas stations of all brands everyday that don't have cars at the pumps. To be convincing, you'd have to show that there has never been a time in the past since the station opened where no cars were fueling.
    Right. I'm sure the large BP logo and the fact the next station was packed [[TA) is not enough statistical data for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast