Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit has final Revenge on ESPN Zone

For all the talk the past few years about Detroit needing an ESPN Zone downtown to spur economic recovery, ESPN Zone shuttered 5 of their 7 stores yesterday [[NYC, DC, Chicago, Baltimore and Vegas). Good thing we don't have to deal with another gaping empty space for rent eyesore downtown...

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...zone_close.php

Not sure why Detroit would even want one; the food at the ESPNZone was terrible. Hockeytown Cafe is 10 times better.

This probably explains why The Sports Reporters looked like they film the show from the studios in Bristol instead of the ESPNZone in Times Square this past Sunday.

gdogslim Guest

re: Detroit has final Revenge on ESPN Zone"
    So a business closing a store in another city is good? Detroit is better off because someone did not invest and did not lose money is better for Detroit? What is wrong with capitalism and entreprenuers taking chances and possibly losing money. Why should others or the government decide who should be or shouldn't be in business?

I think I agree with gdogslim. Would it not have been better to have an ESPN Zone here for two years and then have it close than to have none at all? While it would have been sad to see it close, it would have provided some local jobs and another place for tourists to eat in the meantime.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I think I agree with gdogslim. Would it not have been better to have an ESPN Zone here for two years and then have it close than to have none at all? While it would have been sad to see it close, it would have provided some local jobs and another place for tourists to eat in the meantime.
    nah, don't need any more Frank Taylor type 'success' stories

stability is important

Is this vindication? Is it validation?

I'm not exactly sure what the nature of this thread is about other than to point out that a restaurant chain failed in certain areas. Since we never had an ESPN Zone here to begin with, why are we even crowing about this?

I find no glee in their business shutting down whatsoever. They had an idea, took a chance with it and it didn't work out in all of their markets. It's too bad because now all of those people that worked for them are unemployed. Give credit to them that they took the chance, employed some folks, filled an empty storefront on the street and maybe offered up some good food & good times to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Not sure why Detroit would even want one; the food at the ESPNZone was terrible. Hockeytown Cafe is 10 times better.
    Which is sad, 'cause I hear Hockeytown has awful food.

I remember having breakfast at the one in DC for my 7th grad class trip...worst breakfast ever.

Now all that needs to happen is to close all the House of Blues and Cheesecake Factories! That will teach em all!

The ESPNZone are fad establishments like Planet Hollywood and just like Planet Hollywood the 'Zones ran their course. I actually visited the ESPNZone located in Downtown Disney. Not bad but it was no different than your typical Dave & Busters, Hard Rock Cafe and Hooters.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Now all that needs to happen is to close all the House of Blues and Cheesecake Factories! That will teach em all!
    If nothing else it will wake more people up to the fact that the idea of a purely 'service economy' is bullshit.

People jump from fad service business chain to fad service business chain but none of 'em will stop the downward spiral.
    Last edited by lilpup; June-17-10 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    The ESPNZone are fad establishments like Planet Hollywood and just like Planet Hollywood the 'Zones ran their course. I actually visited the ESPNZone located in Downtown Disney. Not bad but it was no different than your typical Dave & Busters, Hard Rock Cafe and Hooters.
    The plug on the ESPNZone was pulled due to bad business fundamentals. As far as I know, Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe aren't in immediate danger of failing.

Hockeytown is 10 times better? I cannot imagine any substance more vile than that crap.

lilpup Guest

Planet Hollywood had a couple of trips through bankruptcy about 10 years ago. I don't know if it's part of the restaurant company or separate, but the Planet Hollywood Resort in Las Vegas was rescued by Harrah's last September or else it would have gone down in flames.

The plug on the ESPNZone was pulled due to bad business fundamentals. As far as I know, Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe aren't in immediate danger of failing.
    What I was referring to was that Planet Hollywood had a franchise basically in every city except Detroit back in the 90's, however, it being a "fad establishment" the parent company decided to close the majority of their locations sans a few.[[check out the listed of closed establishments domestic and international http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Hollywood) I can recall when I checked out the Reno location [[now closed) back in 2000. It was okay but again it was no different than visiting you local Chill's.