Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking to Buy an AMC Gremlin

I am prepared to pay a set price for any AMC Gremlin in good, driving condition...

Contact me at detroitej72@ yahoo.com
    Last edited by Detroitej72; June-16-10 at 11:23 PM.

Toolbox Guest

Check out the Great Lakes Classic AMC Club Show in August for an available vehicle. The club members could also have a vehicle available so contact a club rep ASAP.

Only if you are a hipster with slim tight pants, Costello glasses, white belt, pointy shoes and really, really skinny will you be allowed to buy a Gremlin.

; )

I'd rather have a Javelin or Ambassador.

I'd rather have a good ten speed. This reminds me of one of the Carlin statements we'd never hear, like : "Hand me that Piano"

A gremlin...now thats a car with character...I remember them when they were new in the seventies...dont they compare to a Chevy Chevette?

No gremlin, but I do have a Matador for sale. Now that's a car! Sexy avante garde styling, a cadillac ride and it handles like a corvette.

My first car, bought in 1976, was a 1974 Hornet.
    Worst POS ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Only if you are a hipster with slim tight pants, Costello glasses, white belt, pointy shoes and really, really skinny will you be allowed to buy a Gremlin.

; )
    I've got the Costello glasses,[[Elvis, that is) have a beard, sideburns, and was skinny back when they made the car, dose that count?

My first car was a '72 Hornet. I put that thing through hell & back; it rarely failed. Definitely not the most stylish vehicle but extremely dependable. An Air Force friend owned a '74 Gremlin; he took trips to VA & back with it on a yearly basis without any problems. It finally died around 1991 then he bought a Camaro.
    If you can find a Gremlin in good running condition, grab it. If you wanted a Pacer, then I'd begin to seriously wonder about your state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    My first car, bought in 1976, was a 1974 Hornet.
    Worst POS ever built.
    Doubt it - I've had multiple Chryslers that would vie for that title.

Actually my dad did indeed once have a Gremlin that I drove in my early days. The problem is that the Gremlin was built for midgets, and I'm over 6 feet tall. The day that Gremlin finally broke down and had to be replaced with something more sizable, I was the happiest teen alive. Unfortunately the something more sizable turned out to be a typical Plymouth that spent more time in the repair shop than on the road...but I digress....

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Doubt it - I've had multiple Chryslers that would vie for that title.

Actually my dad did indeed once have a Gremlin that I drove in my early days. The problem is that the Gremlin was built for midgets, and I'm over 6 feet tall. The day that Gremlin finally broke down and had to be replaced with something more sizable, I was the happiest teen alive. Unfortunately the something more sizable turned out to be a typical Plymouth that spent more time in the repair shop than on the road...but I digress....
    You must be a sucker for a used car then. Teenager would be the operative word. I've had multiple chryslers, and only one I could classify as being a lemon. ONE.
    I think that the gremlin was built for normal people, your huge ego wouldn't fit in the car. Just because they kicked you out on the street [[and probably for good reason) You get to be a bitter old coot here with a jones for Chryslers.

Back in the 60' and 70's Chrysler was probably the most dependable car on the road. The old slant six is still regarded by many mechanics as the best engine ever used in a passenger car. The bodies were sub-par, but the drive train was on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Back in the 60' and 70's Chrysler was probably the most dependable car on the road. The old slant six is still regarded by many mechanics as the best engine ever used in a passenger car. The bodies were sub-par, but the drive train was on top.
    Throw in the 318 as well; extremely dependable bread 'n butter V-8.
    EMG has it in for Chrysler because they fired him. But anywhere he can take a shot, even in an AMC thread, is not suprising. Stosh called him out on it perfectly.
    Before I began disassembling my '73 Charger some yrs ago, it had over 230k on the odometer; going from daily driver to occasional to being parked. The only mechanical problem being a stretched timing chain at about 150k. Performed the routine maintenance on it & she ran like a top; same with my '74 until it was destroyed by a girlfriend. I'm very tough on vehicles, despite keeping the maintenance up. Throw in our God awful summers stuck in traffic & any vehicle that can make it past 100k unscathed is almost a miracle.

Back on topic now...ran into an old HS friend over the weekend & of course the talk included cars. He reminded me when I drove my '72 Hornet, AKA "The Rolling Circus", 150 miles from the Gulf coast back to San Antonio with a blown valve cover gasket. We figured it must've occurred when pulling another vehicle loose that was stuck in the sand. The oil light came on about halfway home & continued like that until the outskirts when we finally found a gas station to buy a few quarts of oil. That 232 straight 6 was indestructible.

Totally forgot about this: The world's last AMC dealership, Collier Motors in Pikeville, NC.
    You may be able to buy a "new" Gremlin from them.

http://www.gremlinx.com/AMC-Pikeville.htm

http://www.automotivetraveler.com/in...578&Itemid=131

http://www.amcrc.com/feature/march2007feature.html