Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Volunteering in Detroit

I was thinking that I wanted to give a little time to volunteering in the city. Maybe doing some physical work. I would appreciate any suggestions. What about Motor City Blight Busters? Thanks in advance. I'm at the library because my home computer is messed up. I won't see anything until tomorrow.

Blight Busters are great! Also there are MANY volunteer opportunities all over Detroit. The links on the page listed have all kinds of volunteering opportunities. Or you could Google or even look on Facebook. Hope this helps!
    http://www.cfabdetroit.org/organizat...-link-with.php

You could also lend a hand to Cub and company at the Georgia Street Community Collective. They not only have the community gardens, but also periodically have community events and are working on building a community store and community center. They are great people. Check it out: http://www.georgiastreetcc.com/

I suggest the Model T Automotive Heritage Complex. I volunteer there and i love it.
    Last edited by im habit formin; June-17-10 at 07:51 PM.

btw. a lot of physical work to do down there. www.tplex.org
    Last edited by im habit formin; June-17-10 at 07:52 PM.

It is commendable that you want to do volunteer work in the city, Blight busters is super, T-Plex another great one, Fort Wayne, DEC which is big into bike trails, Detroit Garden Center which assists community gardens and the list and needs go on and on. Habitat is another. Georgia Street is also a great investment in time. I tend to lean towards east area non profits so I have tried to give kudos to city wide inniatives.

Hospitals and schools are also in need.

Pick an issue, pick an area. Good luck and thank you for caring and wanting to share! Sumas

I work at one Saint Anthony Playground on Detroit's east side every Saturday.
    You are welcome to join me.
    http://detroitactiongroup.webs.com/

I understand there's an aids crisis in Detroit, per another thread on this board. See if you can find an NGO or something addressing that. That effort can use all the help it can get.

Edit: This article cites some groups working in this area in Detroit. Maybe you want to take part in a lobbying effort to get Detroit to receive as much federal attention as other areas with high rates of infection? Could be good political or non-profit grantwriting type experience?
    Last edited by fryar; June-18-10 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks to all who responded. I will definitely look into your suggestions. It's just a matter of me taking that first step which I hope to do soon.

Ordinary: Georgia Street is having a big Street Fair this Sunday. If you would like to help out just for this one event to see if you want to be a part of our group, please e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com. We could use some extra hands!

The Greening of Detroit is another hands-on organization making a difference in our city and worthy of support! http://www.greeningofdetroit.com/