Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hmmm that's rather bizarre. Were the McGraw and Imperial plants both Chrysler facilities? I had never noticed those two before. And is the Imperial still there?

Last time I drove by, a few months ago, the front door was wide open and it had obviously been scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    Hmmm that's rather bizarre. Were the McGraw and Imperial plants both Chrysler facilities? I had never noticed those two before. And is the Imperial still there?
    Don't know about the Imperial, but the McGraw plant was a Chrysler glass fabrication plant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post
    Don't know about the Imperial, but the McGraw plant was a Chrysler glass fabrication plant.
    Yes Imperial was the king beast of Chrysler.

In model-year 1959, Warren switched to Imperial, taking one building [[on McGraw Avenue) and using it to make glass; after Imperial production moved back to Jefferson, the plant was used for small parts production for a few years, with the main building becoming a center for Chrysler export operations in the 1960s [[actually Chrysler is somewhat vague in their histories, with one line in the same history claiming this, and another saying that the plant was sold in 1962).

Original is at The DeSoto-Warren Plant of Chrysler Corporation [[and Graham-Paige) http://www.allpar.com/corporate/fact...#ixzz2RK0WnxuI
    Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

Story from the News' web site about the location:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...troit-disarray

In my telephone installer days, I worked in the building from time to time when it was the AMC HQ. One of the highlights was being able to scope out all the historic cars that were stored in the basement [[old Nashes and the like).

Beat me to it with that article. But it does look like much hope for this building is gone now, unfortunately. Hopefully someone will save it, but being in the location that it's in it looks highly unlikely. It's a shame, it's a beautiful building with a lot of history.

Default The former AMC building on the west side of Detroit.

In the two pictures below, you will see the former Kelvinator/Nash Rambler/AMC/Chrysler building located on Plymouth Road on the west side of Detroit, and that both pictures are of the front entrance; past and current.
    As you may see, above the front door in the older of the two has words carved into the stone, whereas the second doesn't.
    Would anyone have the reason why and when the words 'I've thought of a better way Kelvin" would have been ground off?
    Thank you for any and all replies.
    Name:  AMC with Words.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  24.1 KBName:  AMC Entrance no words.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  36.9 KB

Interesting puzzle.

Google found Autos: A better way from Time Magazine, Friday, May 14, 1965:
    "I've thought of a better way."

Those words of Lord Kelvin, the famous British physicist, are carved in stone above the entrance to the Detroit headquarters of American Motors Corp. American was certain that it had thought of a better way when it led the massive consumer shift to compact, economy cars in the late 1950s. It is less certain today. For the past two years, affluent consumers have been moving up to larger, more luxurious cars, and American's sales and profits have been steadily declining. Last week, after Detroit's Big Three had...
    Apparently you need a Time subscription to read further.

And I found this from November 2008:
    While googling further for more info, I came across this from Forbes Magazine.

There was once a quotation, long-gone, chiseled above the door of the old Nash headquarters on Plymouth Road in Detroit. It was from Lord Kelvin [[remember Kelvinator as in Nash-Kelvinator?).

"There must be a better way."

I wonder if this was AMC's guiding principal? Many of their innovations are still copied today.

Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    And I found this from November 2008:

Wasn't that George Romney walking out the front door in the pic?

Yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Wasn't that George Romney walking out the front door in the pic?

Name:  JTE.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  49.9 KB
    Google maps view prior to Chrysler bailing out [[L) and within the past year [[R). Most of the newer additions have been leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Last time I drove by, a few months ago, the front door was wide open and it had obviously been scrapped.
    Seriously wtf

Were the McGraw and Imperial plants both Chrysler facilities?

The Imperial plant was at 8505 W Warren. The plant was originally built by Graham-Paige in 28 or 29. During the war Chrysler used it to make Helldiver wings and B-26 and B-29 fuselage sections. The plant went back to Graham-Paige after the war. Graham leased it to the government for storage for a couple years as Graham consolidated production with Kaiser at Willow Run.

Chrysler bought the plant from Graham around 47 and built DeSotos there for about 10 years, then moved the Imperial line in, though the Imperial line was only there about three years. After that the plant was used for storage.

Much of it has already been torn down. Here's a pic when Imperial was moved in.

Name:  ImperialPlant.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  69.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Drove by today for a look. The fact that that much damage can be done, on a major thoroughfare, without police or other intervention, boggles my mind.

Also looked at Coolidge school on Elmira. Same deal. An utter disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Drove by today for a look. The fact that that much damage can be done, on a major thoroughfare, without police or other intervention, boggles my mind.

Also looked at Coolidge school on Elmira. Same deal. An utter disgrace.
    If there is any good news the former owner was just sent to jail related to environmental violations, related to his scrapping the place after he bought it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...mc_headqu.html

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    If there is any good news the former owner was just sent to jail related to environmental violations, related to his scrapping the place after he bought it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...mc_headqu.html
    The only charges related to this are environmental? Smh.

Place was essentially intact until a year ago.

The good news: Own your own factory and office building, a piece of automotive history! All for the low, low price of $600.

The bad news: It's a nearly 90 year old stripped out hulk, in an out of the way and not so nice section of town, that comes with a big overdue tax bill. Have fun!
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-21-15 at 02:13 PM.

They don't have to pay the overdue taxes. The overdue taxes were wiped off the records after the last auction. They only owe just over $160,000 for this summers taxes that were recently due and any taxes from now on.

The building had well over $1million in past taxes due.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    They don't have to pay the overdue taxes. The overdue taxes were wiped off the records after the last auction. They only owe just over $160,000 for this summers taxes that were recently due and any taxes from now on.

The building had well over $1million in past taxes due.
    can they deduct the portion of taxes that went for keeping the building secure against scrappers?

So I was curious who would buy it. Turns out a 20 something guy and probably his crook dad helping him. Too bad these places can't attract legit people to rehab them...

Google Romel Casab for more

Quote Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post
    So I was curious who would buy it. Turns out a 20 something guy and probably his crook dad helping him. Too bad these places can't attract legit people to rehab them...

Google Romel Casab for more
    Not sure why you have no faith in them,they did so well with Packard as owners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast