Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default HIV epidemic in Detroit serious problem that requires federal attention

The HIV crisis in Washington, D.C. and Brooklyn, New York has been discussed all over the national media, but the continuing crisis in Detroit has barely gotten a mention. The problem is staggering, with over 50 percent of Detroit’s zip codes reporting HIV prevalence rates at three percent or higher, and one of those zip codes clocking in at six percent — on par with Uganda.
    Detroit leaders have called the HIV epidemic a “crisis” and an “emergency.” They have also said that Detroit needs to become a “squeaky wheel” to get more attention to the virus’ impact on the city.

Now former White House staffer Van Jones is adding his voice to the growing chorus concerned about the Detroit epidemic. When presented with state statistics about HIV in Detroit, and asked if the federal government should be responding to it as it has in D.C. and Brooklyn, Jones said:
    “Yeah, that sounds like a very serious problem that requires federal attention. If it gets worse, they could send in blue helmets from international relief sources.”
    Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh has received an invitation from the White House to attend a special lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender pride month mixer later this month. No word on whether the first openly gay Detroit council member plans to ask President Barack Obama for federal assistance in the battle against HIV in Detroit.
    http://michiganmessenger.com/38764/v...eral-attention

I agree with you. I work with a program that educates health care professionals on risks and prevention techniques for their clients. The most terrifying fact is that HIV is now well established in the heterosexual population, and has become as prevalent as other STDs. In Detroit, we are nearing the top of the nation in syphilis, chlamyidia is endemic here, and gonorrhea has also been on the rise. With so many risks out there, it only makes sense to educate everyone on the dangers and how to protect ourselves.

Everyone who is sexually active and has more than one partner in a year needs to be tested routinely for HIV. Remember, untested persons with HIV don't know they are sick, and will continue to spread the disease.

Holy Crap! That's not acceptable.
    Not to reduce this post to a "somebody should do something" blurb, but I'll make this quick without putting in any constructive research since the board is going down for the server move soon: this should be tackled head-on ASAP. What are they doing in Uganda, the NGO's and such? Is the situation in Detroit different, are there barriers we don't have in Detroit, are there other barriers that are the same? I suppose we can't just throw a bunch of condoms at the problem. Is anyone working to address this issue now? Somebody on this board, I forget who, posted a request for suggestions about what to volunteer on in the D.
    Should an NGO or coalition of groups not be in place to address this issue in Detroit in a comprehensive way already, one needs to get started post-haste. I am in no position to do any of that myself, but I'm happy to contribute in some way to this worthy effort.
    Sorry for this directionless scramble of a post.
    Last edited by fryar; June-18-10 at 11:33 PM. Reason: slightly less directionless this way.

As a follow up, this article contains some information on this issue. Pugh feels that the attention Detroit's aids problem receives from the federal government is not on par with the attention [[and monies) lavished on other areas of the country with comparable rates of infection. More power to him in that effort! A number of organizations are mentioned that are working to address the issue.
    See, somebody is doing something. :-D