Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Four Tops or Temptations?

Screw the Brit bands, this IS Motown, right?

I'll Be There always reminds me of the film "Cooley High" even though the film was about the school in Chicago.

Both great, but I give the edge to the Temptations for their political commentary songs like Ball of Confusion, Cloud Nine, etc.

The Temptations, but I gotta give it to The Dramatics for the 1970s.

I love me some 4 Tops, but I gotta go with the Temptations as my all time favorite.

If we are referring to Vodka consumption, its clearly the 4-tops. Years ago I saw them drink it like water, very impressive.

The Temps by far!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Both great, but I give the edge to the Temptations for their political commentary songs like Ball of Confusion, Cloud Nine, etc.

And Marvin Gaye too for "Mercy Mercy Me"

Four Tops, mainly because they stuck with the same lineup for decades, and their commitment to not replace any members. Also, while the Temps have more tunes in the public consciousness, the Tops have a lot of hidden gems [["I Am Your Man," "I Believe In You and Me," "Still Waters") that can't be denied.

Motown still is music to turn up the radio and role down the windows as you sing along- as if your were 16....dance in the kitchen [[while embarrassing your teens)....grab a beer and sit on the porch ...do whatever you need to do to make yourself happy...grab your women and slow dance...or grab her and rock ....it is Detriot.....and the Temptations were it...but then again so was just about everyone else too..

Yeah, but remember how your parents hated it and tried to keep you from listening?

While I will acknowledge the Temptations are the popular choice, I have to go with the Four Tops. For me, "Baby I Need Your Loving" is one of the top few Motown songs period, and "Reach Out I'll Be There" is also terrific.

Both. No question.

I know they arent Motown [[ Philadelphia I think) but the Spinners have a similar sound....
    Four Tops....

Yes, the Spinners were Motown. "It's a Shame" was their Motown hit. All Detroit guys. Then they were scouted by the east coast ...and their second career began.

ok tie....your right it is like chosing between one million dollars and one million dollars....both have their merit....lol

The Temps all the way.

Levi Stubbs. End of debate.

Fantasy concert:

5th Dimension The Spinners & Marvin Gaye

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The Temptations, but I gotta give it to The Dramatics for the 1970s.
    I'd have to agree, The Dramatics were my favorite group in the 70's as well. Drama 5 [[1975) was a classic.

I have to give the edge to the Temptations because they never released any singles as bad as "Walk Away Renee" and "If I Were A Carpenter."

The Temptations, lead by Otis Williams is going today since 1958. Still with Motown and with a new singing group young and old. There were some various groups like David Ruffin, who was let go and came back, Eddie Kendricks who quit and come back. But the Temptations kept on singing. Otis Williams is last original surviving members of the Temptations.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Neda

I automatically think "The Temps" when I hear the word Motown. However, I do love both groups equally. Guess I'm a fence sitter!

Gibran - you are so right with what you wrote. Whenever a Motown tune is within earshot, I am immediately transported back in time.

Temptations, hands down!!!!! No disrespect to the Tops. Great group. The Temps are right at the top with the Beatles, in my book. No one finer. Debate it all you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Screw the Brit bands?
    The Brit Bands were a gift to America, bringing back to home that soul and gospel element in music which the record industry promoters in the very early sixties were trying in vain to distance any sort of influence from the young, American, white, teenage minds. Artists such as Jerry Lee... Chuck... Elvis... Little Richard. Fortunately, across the pond {as they called it} were young bands and fans digging to Muddy Waters, Johnny Cochrane, Elmore James, and on like that. Did any of the Brit bands ever cover a Beach Boys song, or Pat Boone, or {forgive me Lord} Dean Martini Martin? Nah-ah. I don't think so. But they sure as hell covered tons of Miracles. Other stuff too. From Motown, I mean.

When I was just a youngin', a friend, her Dad had a reel-to-reel player in the living room. This is back when a "living room" might only have a sofa, love-seat, and a stereo player. Also, her Dad had mostly classical music on reel-to-reel, but he did have four friggin boxed sets {if that's what they were called back then} of strictly Motown. And she'd let me listen to them, and her Dad, in a rare display of "letting the kids hang out in the living room", would not say one word. So long as they were put back proper.

Now.... I really feel sorry for those who were scolded by they parents to turn down that noise. I never had that problem. In fact, I remember a couple times that pops would shout all thru our house for everyone to come downstairs because The Supremes were on Ed Sullivan.

In the eightie's, I'd laugh at the commerical, showing the kids driving down the street in they convertible, the Mother steps out on the front porch and shouts "Turn down that noise!", and the kid yells back, "But Mom! It's Smokey!"

Far. Out.

Well. The Four Tops, IMHO, captured, defined, and forever sealed in stone, the definitive Motown sound. And let's face it, Motown=Detroit. And those Happy's Pizza commercials? Man, them things rock!

Four Tops. I hope I've explained this well enuff. Late. GG.

It was ten years before I was born that the song "Bernadette" came out.

Thirty years later, I was half a world away... heard it... and was transported back home.

Four Tops, all the way... just because of Levi Stubbs. Look, I love David Ruffin, Otis, Melvin, and the rest but I feel that the Tempts music is less "local" and more global. When I hear "My Girl" I don't think of Detroit, I think about the Sixties in general. Most of the Tempts' music seems to be as emblematic of that era as that of the Beatles, etc.

But when I hear "Reach Out I'll Be There" and "Bernadette", I experience the ghosts of the Detroit that I never knew. I'm not sure what it is about their sound, but somehow I can imagine all the stories of Detroit of yesteryear when I listen to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast