Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    No, I just get tired of the frequent God is BS threads. I've been monitoring this forum for the last 3+ years and I've yet to see a thread mocking non believers. Lets let it rest.
    You can start your own threads, you know. I'd love to see one mocking non-believers. Not with the same hateful, vitriolic BS as I hear most believers using to disparage anyone who doesn't believe as they do. There would have to be some great humour in it. After all, I don't have a being or entity to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "Is discussing atheism intellectually beyond your capacity?"

If a tree falls in the forest...

My stance is believe what you want. I won't attack you for yours, but shut up about mine.. Deal? A few posters roam through these threads trying to start arguments. This very thread was nothing but a troll trying to start one. I agree with Philbo..If you want to have some stupid assed roll call, go for it.
    Why comment if you hate this thread so much? Your compassion is persuasive. It really makes me admire and desire to adopt your beliefs. Such eloquence.

Quote:.If you want to have some stupid assed roll call, go for it.
    BTW, you just took part in the roll call.

Johnny, the multi-billionaire Gambler was on his death bed. He asked for his lawyer, a priest and his two lifelong friends. He wanted to write his last will and testament.
    He said he would leave his entire fortune to the ‘church.’
    One of his friends said, “But Johnny, you have been an atheist all of your life. You never believed in God, you never went to church or donated money to any religion.”
    Johnny replied, “Well, I am making an ‘even money’ bet and you can never tell. And besides, what have I got to lose?”

My stance is believe what you want. I won't attack you for yours, but shut up about mine.. Deal?
    This statement is a contradiction. You won't attack me, but I must censor myself to your liking? Is this thread titled “jesus is great”? No, it’s “Atheist Roll Call” and if you come out of your way here to blatantly attack others. NO QUARTER!

A drinking contest between a Pastafarian and a SubGenius is what we really want to see.

No, I just get tired of the frequent God is BS threads. I've been monitoring this forum for the last 3+ years and I've yet to see a thread mocking non believers. Lets let it rest.
    I was a volunteer for and briefly a board member of a rotating shelter and never backed down from or was afraid to share my views with disagreeable christians and jews...Ive had muslims and jews storm our of a sauna room because I was blunt and forceful in expressing my anti-faith views and opinions....

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm in a foxhole right now and I can't find any atheists here.
    Hitchens in his book 'god is not great-how religion poisons everything' mentions an incident in Sarajevo in which he was quivering with fear-yet gave a woman his flack jacket while they were under attack...
    If a soldier fought for a communist army in which religion was discouraged, that soldier would probably not have prayed..
    during traumatic times normal rational people behave irrationally...
    some soldiers would have been to busy fighting to pray...
    and dont forget the soldiers of god who maim, mutilate and are more than eager to go out with a bang...

Tpone, Spot on as usual.

I've been in a few life or death situations, it's amazing how spiritual everyone gets.

Couple years back I was getting debilitating headaches, convinced myself a tumor was going to show up in the MRI, or the blood work would come back with negative results-I made amends-got advice on wills and testaments-not once did I pray-considered donating organs or body to science...I was actually very concerned how my passing would affect others...I was surprised my friends devout baptist mother didnt proselytize while I shared my concerns with her and my friend lol....

Isn't it ironic that God is always in agreement with whomever invokes his name?

Look at Kwame Kilpatrick for instance. God forgave him because he is a loyal follower. Bin Laden is another example. God is somehow always on the side of the person who invokes his name. Makes it kind of hard to believe people, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Isn't it ironic that God is always in agreement with whomever invokes his name?
    Agreement with whoever invokes His Name? Don't jump to conclusions just yet there, Big Fella...

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

What is in one's heart is secret until they share it with others and then it becomes their character...and that is what ultimately we all will be judged....some by more some by one. But both will last...

I just shake my head when I see one of these anti religious threads. The bottom line is that most of you are a bunch of chicken shits. You use the internet, bus billboards, and highway signs to spread your spread your insensitive bull shit. I'll bet a dollar to ten none of you would challenge a person of faith face to face with your opinions. So hide behind your P.C and try to feel bold.
    How much would you like to bet if you are giving 10:1 odds?
    I have challenged many people of faith since they are the ones that are always more than happy to push their beliefs on others.

You call it hiding behind PCs but the reality is that atheists and agnostics aren't worried about converting others and telling them their belief systems are wrong.

So go pray to some fictional belief since it will relieve you of any rational thought.

DetroitDad Guest

Default In God We Trust

There are secluded islands in the Pacific. During World War II, the islands were used for air bases. The natives of these islands were often given modern items by the airman, and when the war ended, and the airman left, the inhabitants began erecting wicker airplanes, landing strips, and even radios, hoping that they would attract other airplanes and bring the modern items back.

Most American's still believe in the extremes of religion and God because they connect that with their success, and the success of what they see as God's way [[democracy and the American dream). Should this prove wrong for a very long time [[it will), and what they view as evil consistently overtakes good for enough generations [[it will), then many people will abandoned their religion. This is not just theory, as it can be seen in how the majority of a society will buy into a religion in accession to wealth and prosperity, and then begin to reject it during extended hard times, repetitive disasters, and especially during collapses of their society.

A perfect example of all this is Easter Island. Easter Island is a secluded Pacific island, that was once very prosperous. The Islanders created giant statues that overlooked and watched over their fields, gardens, and towns, believed to be their deified ancestors. The Islanders believed that the living and the dead shared a bond, and provided for each other. Over time, the Islanders succumbed to many harsh realities and eventual disasters and subsequent decline. The Islanders, who had done everything that their religious leaders and ancient beliefs had told them, began to wonder why they were being punished, and eventually turned their backs on their beliefs, toppling the statues and looking for something new to believe.

Growing up Catholic, and among a very religious group in a Detroit Suburb, I often found it interesting that people would laugh at the beliefs of ancient Greece, Egypt, or those of the ancient Americas, yet failed to even consider that following the words of a carpenter who has been dead for thousands of years [[among other things) was as bananas as the banana sex cult [[who were/are recently convinced that walking around naked and having open sex in public with strangers was the cause of seasons of good banana crop).

I personnaly like to keep an open mind, myself, even though I had my own "experience" that really makes me want to believe something is there. And I'm not making fun of anyone's religion. I just kind of think that most people are sleep walking in a city, country, and world where T.V. evangelists on BET on some early Sunday mornings tell us that we will go to Hell if we question our faith or what they say is "The Word", disguised as God's word. It just seems to me that the Atheists or more so, the Agnostics, are not so bad, since even a genius asks questions.

I guess the real question, and my point is; maybe... just maybe, if their is a God, would he really want us to know or even acknowledge he exists, and do good things in fear of eternal punishment... or would he rather us choose to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Agreement with whoever invokes His Name? Don't jump to conclusions just yet there, Big Fella...

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
    I think you missed my point, but you may have proved my point in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I guess the real question, and my point is; maybe... just maybe, if their is a God, would he really want us to know or even acknowledge he exists, and do good things in fear of eternal punishment... or would he rather us choose to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do?
    Amen. I would think that if there was a God he would not want us to do right out of fear as he could just force us to do right to begin with. No, he would prefer for us to do right because it is what is in our hearts. I think that is more important than the rituals that some people have become enslaved to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Good point. But, there would likely be fewer foxholes in the absence of organized religion.
    Between purges and wars, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot contributed their share of foxholes and graves. Communism, after all, was and is atheistic. Dear leaders don't like to share their adoration.

" More people died at the hands of their own governments in the 20th century than were killed in all the wars in history combined before the 20th century. And the vast, vast, majority of this killing was done by atheistic regimes."
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6212037AAXpL1w

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm in a foxhole right now and I can't find any atheists here.
    http://www.mindspring.com/~alutiiq/a...-foxholes.html

http://www.maaf.info/expaif.html

Show me some evidence for the supernatural. Learn the difference between belief and fact. My thoughts are free.

Die Gedanken sind frei, wer kann sie erraten,
    sie fliegen vorbei wie nächtliche Schatten.
    Kein Mensch kann sie wissen, kein Jäger erschießen
    mit Pulver und Blei, Die Gedanken sind frei!

Thoughts are free, who can guess them?
    They flee by like nocturnal shadows.
    No man can know them, no hunter can shoot them,
    with powder and lead: Thoughts are free!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Gedanken_sind_frei

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Between purges and wars, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot contributed their share of foxholes and graves. Communism, after all, was and is atheistic. Dear leaders don't like to share their adoration.

" More people died at the hands of their own governments in the 20th century than were killed in all the wars in history combined before the 20th century. And the vast, vast, majority of this killing was done by atheistic regimes."
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6212037AAXpL1w
    Their motivation was power not religion. Stalin killed a lot of his communist right-hand men. Religionists attribute to atheism these authoritarian purges to hide their own authoritarian tendencies.

Quote: "My thoughts are free."

And worth every penny...

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Agnostic in the house!!! I do believe in a supreme being that had some hand in getting everything started but I don't have much use for most religions I've encountered.
    that would make you pretty much like many of our founding fathers - a deist

I don't believe in God. More accurately, I believe there is no God.

My stance is believe what you want. I won't attack you for yours, but shut up about mine.. Deal? A few posters roam through these threads trying to start arguments. This very thread was nothing but a troll trying to start one. I agree with Philbo..If you want to have some stupid assed roll call, go for it.

I will shut up about yours when we become a country that no longer believes that non-believers shouldn't even be considered "true" citizens, and shouldn't have the right to vote, when your co-religionists stop insisting on government-sponsorship of your religion, when MY tax dollars stop subsidizing YOUR church with fire and police protection while ministers get to write off money they get to pay for their mcmansions

Quote: "when we become a country that no longer believes that non-believers shouldn't even be considered "true" citizens,"

Seriously where do you get this stuff? Can you post some boilerplate from any Religious institutions [[which I can't stand incidentally), that proclaim anything of the sort?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast