Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Atheist Roll Call

Ive found that I can feel compassion and offer forgiveness without the belief in an omnipresent intervening supernatural deity and claiming a specific religion or 'spirituality'......Im o.k. with being a primate-are you?

Agnostic in the house!!! I do believe in a supreme being that had some hand in getting everything started but I don't have much use for most religions I've encountered. What frosted it for me was watching American Greed last night and seeing how a bunch of people where duped by a church to hand over their life savings to a Church with a ponsi scheme becasuse god wanted them to do it.

I'm on board.

"I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours".
    I guess I would be in the agnostic category.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Agnostic in the house!!! I do believe in a supreme being that had some hand in getting everything started but I don't have much use for most religions I've encountered. What frosted it for me was watching American Greed last night and seeing how a bunch of people where duped by a church to hand over their life savings to a Church with a ponsi scheme becasuse god wanted them to do it.
    Humorous, or not, exchange witnessed at a playground.
    One young child to another: "You need to let me use the swing because god wants me to."
    A child, "well taught", by religious parents?

oh God you guys crack me up [[in a good sense)...or should I say oh evolution with maybe a diety you guys crack me up...LOL.... I do find most agnositics very open minded...smiling had to poke you guys...

I'm in a foxhole right now and I can't find any atheists here.

I believe I will add myself to the atheist list. No matter what I try I can't convince myself to believe in a god. I attend many old historic churches in Detroit with [[mostly Catholic) friends, and am myself officially Lutheran, but honestly I don't have that feeling inside that any of it is real. I don't tell many people about my atheism, but it's always there and it never goes away.

The White Buffalo meditation for today nicely details how I feel about the Creator:

Elder's Meditation of the Day - June 21

"The god that people reject is not the true god, it is a god they have conjured up apart from proper education, and understanding. In such cases, the least Fools Crow will do is to call their assumptions into question, and force them to re-evaluate their position."
    --Thomas Mails on Fools Crow, LAKOTA
    Inside of every person - man, woman, and child - is the knowledge that there is a Supreme Being. Many of us have been taught that the Creator is a punishing God. We have been taught about feelings of guilt and shame when we do things wrong. We have been taught that God gets angry and disappointed with us. The Elders teach us that the Creator is a loving and forgiving God. He loves us during our good days and He loves us during our bad days. He doesn't know how to do anything but love. If I really want to find out about the true God, I only need to ask in prayer. There is one thing that God cannot do and that is refuse help to one of His children who asks.
    My Creator, I ask You to be a part of my life today. Whisper to me Your wisdom. Let me feel Your presence. If I am doubtful and afraid, show me, in terms I can understand, You are real.

Happy first day of Summer! Today is truly a gift. Look how beautiful it is, and enjoy.

I disagree, there is NOT something in every human being that tells them there is a god. About 10% of the US population are agnostics/atheists, that figure is higher/lower in different parts of the world. Millions of people have no internal belief in a supreme being and instead accept evolution and cosmology to explain life as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'm in a foxhole right now and I can't find any atheists here.
    Good point. But, there would likely be fewer foxholes in the absence of organized religion.

Well, Kryptonite, there is something in everyone that tells them SOMETHING. I would like to think it is something like 'find out how to live a good life and not harm anyone/anything.' The old ones suggest the Creator has taught all to everyone, but that modern living has caused us all to forget what we know. Too many distractions and contradictions in our modern world.

Millions of people have no internal belief in a supreme being and instead accept evolution and cosmology to explain life as we know it.
    I'm not religious but I know that science can't explain everything and neither can religion. [[If God created the universe, then who created God, was always one of my questions.) I think some things are probably just unknowable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I'm not religious but I know that science can't explain everything and neither can religion. [[If God created the universe, then who created God, was always one of my questions.) I think some things are probably just unknowable.
    I'm with Pam. When death comes I'll take whatever cards are dealt. No prob.

Just FYI, God doesn't like this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Just FYI, God doesn't like this thread.
    I don't worry about god, I do have nightmares of Romans attacking me for disbelieving in their mythical jesus creation.

Was Jesus & Christianity Invented by Rome?
    http://www.sikhspectrum.com/112006/joe.htm

i've never sought the answers that a religion could provide.

i've never needed the things that a god could give.

i've never believed in hokus pokus.

I just shake my head when I see one of these anti religious threads. The bottom line is that most of you are a bunch of chicken shits. You use the internet, bus billboards, and highway signs to spread your spread your insensitive bull shit. I'll bet a dollar to ten none of you would challenge a person of faith face to face with your opinions. So hide behind your P.C and try to feel bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Good point. But, there would likely be fewer foxholes in the absence of organized religion.
    Very brief and well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    I just shake my head when I see one of these anti religious threads. The bottom line is that most of you are a bunch of chicken shits. You use the internet, bus billboards, and highway signs to spread your spread your insensitive bull shit. I'll bet a dollar to ten none of you would challenge a person of faith face to face with your opinions. So hide behind your P.C and try to feel bold.
    Your obvious love of jesus and your strong, firm, faith is overwhelming. Such love and compassion. Such great example. You speak so affectionately and with great care for the souls of others. You're a perfect example of the love of christ.

No, I just get tired of the frequent God is BS threads. I've been monitoring this forum for the last 3+ years and I've yet to see a thread mocking non believers. Lets let it rest.

No, I just get tired of the frequent God is BS threads. I've been monitoring this forum for the last 3+ years and I've yet to see a thread mocking non believers. Lets let it rest.
    Discussing if "God is BS" is one thing, but chastising others' right to do so is really effing chicken shit.

I'll bet a dollar to ten none of you would challenge a person of faith face to face with your opinions
    Would you prefer that? Then you could complain about being picked on and the intolerence of non-believers.

You obviously don't even begin to understand the point of atheism/agnosticism. "Anti-religious"? Hardly. "Insensitive"? Not so, rather your post is insensitive and anti freethought.

I absolutely would talk faith/atheism face to face with a 'person of faith', most atheists do that from time to time. Usually religious people back down in minutes preferring instead to rely on blind faith with no substantial argument to even validate their point. Why? Because often 'believers' never question, freethinkers question faith often.

You use a lot of profanity and express a lot of hatred for someone defending the religious perspective. Is discussing atheism intellectually beyond your capacity?
    Last edited by kryptonite; June-22-10 at 07:19 AM.

Quote: "Is discussing atheism intellectually beyond your capacity?"

If a tree falls in the forest...

My stance is believe what you want. I won't attack you for yours, but shut up about mine.. Deal? A few posters roam through these threads trying to start arguments. This very thread was nothing but a troll trying to start one. I agree with Philbo..If you want to have some stupid assed roll call, go for it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast