Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pictures of the Youth Tent City - Woodward at Temple

Ah to be young again! One of the many sidelights of the US Social Forum.

I swung by the encampment this evening as the sun lay low on Detroit. Enjoy.

Definitely the 'money' shot of my excursion. The glorious First Presbyterian Church bathed in the last rays of the sun. Unfortunately I only had my iPhone camera.

The ruins of the Eddystone and Palms Hotels form the back drop here.

Texting home. Letters are a thing of the past.

Backdrop is Addison Apartments.

This group was sitting in front of the Cass Cafe. They had bicycled in from upstate NY across Canada. What happened at the bridge? "It sucked". They had to hire a truck to carry their bikes over.

Sorry to disappoint those on the right. No American flags burning here. No hammers and sickles. Just Stars and stripes forever. This is America too.

DetroitDad Guest

Thank you Lowell, especially for the bridge story!

The Iphone takes much better pictures than my Motorola i776!

BUT, at $10.00 a month......

Leave it to Lowell to get us some pictures. Great shots!

Michigan Guest

Ah to be young again! One of the many sidelights of the US Social Forum.
    Really? That just does not look appealing to me at all. If I were to attend this USSF i would have needed a room at the BC at the very least. Sleeping in a damp, humid tent as a good time? No thanks.

Honestly, this shot just makes the whole idea seem nasty, look at that gross puddle!

I like the post-Hippie Era of those tent communes. Coming to Detroit for the USSF Social Rally is like going to San Francisco at Haight and Ashbury or to Woodstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I like the post-Hippie Era of those tent communes. Coming to Detroit for the USSF Social Rally is like going to San Francisco at Haight and Ashbury or to Woodstock.
    But without the good music

Lowell, thanks for the shots. It's an interesting encampment, given that the area is typically pretty desolate.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    If I were to attend this USSF i would have needed a room at the BC at the very least.
    What?...and support those evil, capitalistic, corporate hotel owners? Don't you know we're supposed to open our homes to these people who apparently believe that living in a tent embodies some type of social progress?

There's nothing wrong with tenting for a few days if you can't afford $100/ night. They probably spent their money on food in Detroit. I'm just glad nobody got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    ... I'm just glad nobody got hurt.
    No, that would be the US Antisocial Forum.

I took some people in. It didn't make sense to me to punish people for having a lower income than I. It's been so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    I took some people in. It didn't make sense to me to punish people for having a lower income than I. It's been so much fun.
    Its refreshing to know that there are still Americans who open there homes to strangers and mild aquaintainces. I possibly would have done the same thing if I got a good vibe from persons in need of shelter....

Honestly, this shot just makes the whole idea seem nasty, look at that gross puddle!
    Commies ain't afraid of no mud puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Commies ain't afraid of no mud puddle.
    LOL!

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    There's nothing wrong with tenting for a few days if you can't afford $100/ night. They probably spent their money on food in Detroit. I'm just glad nobody got hurt.
    Yes, they did. I noticed bleary eyes and weary smiles in the Detroit Beer Company and in Gourmet Hot Dogs. I think that the downtown businesses would like the tent farms and extra 10k people downtown every week. Thanks to Social Forumers for that and also for adding a little life to downtown. Come back soon!

Michigan Guest

Wait, by not taking in strangers and letting them live in my house I am punishing them? What sort of perverted logic comes to that conclusion? ORF you are quickly becoming the Billy Carter of the USSF.

ORF?

Why in the world would you take my statement seriously, you silly person? You just want to be outraged.

Michigan Guest

You just want to be outraged.

No, I just wanted to make a Billy Carter reference and this presented itself!

Retroit Guest

The US Social Forum [[USSF) is a movement building process. It is not a
 conference but it is a space to come up with the peoples’ solutions to the 
economic and ecological crisis. http://www.ussf2010.org/about
    So what were some of the "solutions" that the forum came up with? [[Besides sleeping in a tent because you didn't bring enough money for a hotel. )

Why in the world would you take my statement seriously, you silly person? You just want to be outraged.
    So did you take anyone in?

Call me young, but who in the hell is Billy Carter anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Call me young, but who in the hell is Billy Carter anyway?
    President Carter's heavy-drinking brother who started his own brand of beer.

And don't ask 'Who was Pres. Carter'.

Yes, terryh, I did. It was great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast