Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Blue Cross to move 3,000 employees downtown?

My colleague Dan Duggan reports via his blog today ...

Blue Cross to move 3,000 employees to Detroit?
    Posted 6/11/2010 2:22 PM EDT on crainsdetroit.com

The most rumored deal in Detroit may be coming together soon. Word has it that Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan may move nearly 3,000 employees out of its Southfield campus and into the Renaissance Center.

The deal, in the works for months, would involve nearly all of the remaining vacant space in the Renaissance Center and comprise close to 400,000 square feet of office space, say sources familiar with the plan.

The nonprofit insurance company is headquartered in Detroit and has uses two buildings in the city, so the move would be a chance to have all of the core operations in one city.
    Con't at ... http://www.crainsdetroit.com/duggan

They're also moving some, if not all, of their employees from Brewery Park.

For those unfamiliar with Blue Cross's Southfield Campus... it is located west of the very tall former American Motors HQ [[American Center Building) west of the "mixing bowl" [[I-696/Northwestern Hwy/Telegraph Rd.).

This complex consists of several midrise buildings between 11 Mile Rd. and I-696 near Inkster Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    For those unfamiliar with Blue Cross's Southfield Campus... it is located west of the very tall former American Motors HQ [[American Center Building) west of the "mixing bowl" [[I-696/Northwestern Hwy/Telegraph Rd.).

This complex consists of several midrise buildings between 11 Mile Rd. and I-696 near Inkster Rd.
    What? How dare they? Don't they know that the suburbs are the place to have business because people want to drive everywhere and the city is full of problems? What? What? [HEAD EXPLODES]

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    What? How dare they? Don't they know that the suburbs are the place to have business because people want to drive everywhere and the city is full of problems? What? What? [HEAD EXPLODES]

There is just no pleasing some people, apparently.

This is great news... For GM and Detroit!

Great news! Here is the Detroit Free Press article. It says that move could be part of a bigger proposal to connect Blue Cross's HQ on Lafayette with an office building they own on East Jefferson.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...rkers-downtown

Attachment 6414

DetroitDad Guest

I wonder what this move will do for the retail space in the Renaissance Center and Millender Center. Have you guys been in there lately? There is almost nothing left!

Wow, hopefully we're entering a second wave of companies moving downtown or moving suburban employees to an existing Detroit office. It seemed like the late nineties and early part of the 00s saw many moves like this: GM, EDS, Onstar, Compuware, along with a few small to medium sized businesses i can't think of right now.

Now we have Quicken, GalaxE Solutions, and BCBS. Keep them coming!

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Wow, hopefully we're entering a second wave of companies moving downtown or moving suburban employees to an existing Detroit office. It seemed like the late nineties and early part of the 00s saw many moves like this: GM, EDS, Onstar, Compuware, along with a few small to medium sized businesses i can't think of right now.

Now we have Quicken, GalaxE Solutions, and BCBS. Keep them coming!
    A boom is not the time to invest. A boom is the time to save. The opposite is true for recessions.

Detroit 2005 "failed" because many people started saving and building too late. This has not gone unnoticed, and individuals, non-profits, businesses, and governments are doing as much as they can to prepare now for the next boom.

Happy for Detroiters! This is great news, its time important companies start using/investing in downtown. This kind of massive relocation should help revitalize and attract businesses of all sizes and provide incentives to plan mass transit etc... Downtown Detroit is a pretty spiffy place all told. There are a lot of reasons for corporate offices to invest in a city with so much to offer.

Incidentally I'm a Blue Cross policy holder. Yes, even canadians have to get private insurance for medication and dental apart from the state health plan. That said, I'm happy that Blue Cross has made the move.

yay! Detroit City income tax!

Well for those who were worried that with the DPD HQ moving would effect business in Greektown, well hopefully these 3,000 would give a nice boost back to the district.

I would remind all of us that this is really a time to invoke skipper's rule.

That's great news!
    LOL, Detroitnerd.

That should really piss off those folks.
    Now they'll be exposed to higher income taxes and
    have to pay for parking. I wonder if they get raises for
    coming downtown.
    No doubt management will tell them, "Shut up and be glad you
    have a job".

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    coming downtown.
    have a job".
    I'm sure they'll get over it, and if they have that much of a problem with the move they can quit and find a new damn job!

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    coming downtown.
    have a job".

Actually, parking for BCBC employees is free, they have their own parking garage[[s). And come on, are the taxes really that hard to bare? It seems like the only people whine about that don't actually work in the city.

I think the benefits of working downtown outweigh the costs. Have you ever seen or been to the Southfield campus? It is a suburban office park [[fortress) with absolutely nothing within walking distance. When you work Downtown, you have dozens of restaurants within a five minute walk. You have the option of taking the bus to work. You have the riverwalk just steps away, you could go there for lunch, or to Campus Martius park. Plus you have that very nice courtyard behind the blue cross building.

Not to mention, you get to contribute to the revitalization of Downtown. 3,000 workers can support many new restaurants and other businesses. More life will be brought to the streets, at least during lunch time. Hopefully some of those workers will discover the benefits of urban life and move to the central city.

I know what you're saying, but people from outside the city do kvetch about having to pay Detroit income tax. They don't look at it as the price of admission for a funner place to go to lunch, they see it as unjusified since they don't enjoy any city services. For my part, I disagree that they don't enjoy any city services, but I can understand where they're coming from. I also completely agree that you want to work downtown, not in one of those office parks without easy access to anything that's going to stimulate your mind.

The best part about this, if it comes to fruition, is that it essentially fills up all of the remaining RenCen space...assuming they do take the 400,000 square feet. Not only will this bode well for GM and the shops in the RenCen, but it means that the RenCen will be pretty darn stable for awhile, with GM, Deloitte, and BCBS anchoring some major square footage...theyll be better able to handle the comings and goings of the smaller tenants.

And, of course, it means any new downtown tenants will be able to begin to fill up the rest of the A space downtown - Comerica Tower, 150 W Jefferson, and One Woodward Avenue are just barely hanging on right now...

This is also a good deal for the obvious. Living downtown for those who find the environment comfortable for them. Probably not many family type situations but definetly a consideration for singles, childless couples, partners etc....Downtown real estate agents would do well to court this opportunity..There are lots of options, most extremely affordable by large city standards, and some great places to live. Our area [[ Lafayette Park) would be one, and a great option to walk to work and back home and have countless city amenities at your finger tips..

One question, does any body know ?? I thought GM was moving more people downtown now. Is there enough additional space in the Ren Cen to accomodate 3,000 more????

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    I know what you're saying, but people from outside the city do kvetch about having to pay Detroit income tax. They don't look at it as the price of admission for a funner place to go to lunch
    I'd rather pay the 1% tax to work in Downtown Detroit than the 1% tax my better half pays for the privilege of working in Pontiac.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast