Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tom Izzo, A Cleveland Cavaliers Head Coach

Michigan Head Coach Tom Izzo is thinking about taking a Head Coaching job for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Spartan Fans rallied in MSU Campus to keep Izzo home.

MSU needs Izzo, he must stay and train our future pro players.

GO GREEN, Go SPARTANS

I would like to see Izzo stay, but if he leaves I can understand completely. First the money is a lot to pass up, but he needs to see if he can coach on the pro level. Now the odds are against him. Even though the game is the same I believe you need different skills to motivate players at a college level and at a pro level, and most coaches can't make that transition. I see Izzo as a college coach period. I don't think he will do that well with pro's. However, he earned the right to see that for himself and try and be the exception.

I would never say that Izzo owes MSU or our state anything. However, if this is all about money than just say so. If it means that much to him than he should just leave. What good is it to have more money but hate your job? If Lebron does not come back to Cleveland then that job would suck, no matter how much they pay someone. There is a world of difference between coaching in the NBA and coaching in college. The season is way too long, and you have to constantly massage the overpaid egos to get them to buy into your way of coaching.
    In college you have the ability to build something special. Players actually look at you as some kind of mentor, not only in hoops but in life. Recruiting may be a pain but it also gives you the ultimate satisfaction knowing you molded these kids and they set out to accomplish those goals together. You have more control over what is going on, not so in the pros.
    If he leaves there will be a lot of people who could care less, but there will be a great many people who will feel let down. And if that does not matter to Tom then I say go ahead and take that job at the "mistake by the lake". Life will go on and Wolverine fans will celebrate because it cannot help but take MSU down a notch.

I have always seen Izzo as a guy who recruits very hard and very well. He got a huge break when UM gave up on basketball 10+ years ago. He is a tough disiplinarian who can get his guys motivated for the NCAA tournament each year. I never thought he was a great x's and o's bench coach. Going pro totally takes away his biggest asset, the player recruiting, and I really dont see his screaming antics working in the NBA.
    I wish him the best at whatever choice he makes.

Izzo is staying in Michigan. Thank God! GO Spartans!!

Quote Originally Posted by vivadetroit View Post
    Izzo is staying in Michigan. Thank God! GO Spartans!!
    YAY! Izzo made a excellent decision to stay with the Spartans. Now we can win more NCAA Basketball National Championship titles.

"S" GO GREEN, GO SPATANS!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! Izzo made a excellent decision to stay with the Spartans. Now we can win more NCAA Basketball National Championship titles.

"S" GO GREEN, GO SPATANS!
    "Spatans"?

hoo boy.

I'm sure there are a bunch of Wolverine fans out there laughing their collective butts off over this. But seriously the Tom Izzo staying at MSU is a win for the kids attending there and for the program. That program has done it right and has got the right leader at the helm.

I'm glad Izzo is staying. MSU basketball wouldn't be the same without him.