Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default The looting of Detroit Homes

Have you all notice about more vacant homes in Detroit neighborhoods? Those vacant homes in Detroit are subject of being looted to instant abandon homes. There is a conspiracy from some Detroit residents that the dwellings and other buildings are being looted by hired people from the banks and mortage companies.

Here's how it works:

1. After a Detroit resident lose their home to foreclosure, the bank or a mortage company immediately takes over the property. Later the banks and mortage companies don't want to fix the home up and sell it to another person. Therefore they might hire some looter from out of the street and pay them to loot and plunder a Detroit home.

2. The hire looter will take the bricks, sliding, windows, pipes, furnace and boiler, lighting fixtures, toilets and copper plumbing and wiring. Then sell it at the scrap yard.

3. Sometimes the banks and mortage companies will hire an arsonists to have the Detroit home burn down. That will drive property values way down and prevent blacks from re-buying a Detroit home.

4. Once a whole neighborhood is turned into a urban forest [[A.K.A. brownfield), it would allow Detroit city leaders to speed up proposals to downsize the area and slum clear all the remaining low-income residents.

5. Finally gentrification sets in. A once downsized Detroit neighborhood will be transformed into a pre-suburbanesque condos, apts, and McMansions.

So far there's nothing from all of us can do to stop the 'raping of Detroit Dwellings.' Once the banks or mortage companies have your Detroit home, they can do whatever they want with it. We can prevent it by catching those in the act, but it would be too late from other Detroit homes and buildings. This is the banks and mortage companies way to move blacks out of Detroit neighborhoods.

Do you all have comments?

Default Ha ha ha

Hahahahahahhahhahhhahahahahaha
    So Funny!!

Retroit Guest

I didn't realize that banks were employing so many people in the city.

Danny, considering all your informative posts, this was a real disappointment.

Although I do like #4 and #5.

Man, I've heard of conspiracy theories but this one takes the cake.
    How long has this one been taking place..one year, two years..thirty years???
    I don't see a big white migration to the city unless it's from folks overseas. That seems unlikely as long as the school system, crime situation and corrupt city government system is in place.

Danny,

Sounds like you went to the barbershop today for a shape-up and a little ground floor philosphy. I happen to like your report on the newest theory why Detroit is in the shape it is in. It reminds me of all the other theories about Detroit and how "the other" is trying to steal it back.

Crack, smack, blow and St Ides were all evil plans to return the City to its pale roots; as was urban renewel, freeways, food stamps, HUD and spinners on the hooptie. It is always the outsider that is creeping in under the veil of darkness to bring a little devil to Devil's Night, some kneecapping to the fireworks or a wiretap to catch the honest man.

It is this same belief in "the other" that makes us bend our knees while asking for a some bus fare to go see our sick mothers, or to demand that Lansing or Washington send some moohla, as long as they don't demand an accounting of the last money they sent.

See, Danny, in Detroit it is always "the other", "the outsider" that is either screwing us over or just about to save us from screwing. The duality of "the other" is what ensnares us in our wretchedness. The killer and the saint. The fear and hope. The lover and and the shanker. They are all the same. The roots of both are from the same poisoned tree. We point to the unseen, powerful force as the cause of our state of being; we are but toys for their pleasure and regardless of our efforts we twist to their will.

In haiti such forces are called loa. Sort of Saint and spirit; either guardian or avenger and while you can appease their will with rhum or dance it is all a crap shoot.

This duality of spirit and belief in "the other" insures that you are never responsible for your fate. The Other will crush you or save you and there isn't anything you can do about it, except complain.

Make sure you don't call the cops when the neighbor's house is torched by your cousin. Throw that McDonald's bag in the street. Don't stop at redlights. Point a finger evrywhere but the mirror.

You want proof? ... ever meet anyone who looted in '67? or lit a building a fire? I never have. But almost everyone saw a tank shoot up a building. In Detroit it is almost common belief that the National Guard caused the destruction, that the Army shot at firemen.

In Detroit we are liars, to ourselves.

Retroit Guest

gnome, that was brilliant.

Gnome..wow, truly brilliant. I doubt it could be said any better by anyone. And I also doubt that Danny [[ any many others ) get it.

I dont think the banks are that organized nor motivated. Pass me that joint....... help me believe too....

You guys are being a little hard on Dannyboy, I think. But don't worry Danny, I'll be drinkin the Mickey's with you instead of the kool-aid.

Take a good look at the houses in the area south of 7 between Woodward and John R, every other house having a bank foreclosure notice stapled to the door. Then try to convince Danny that banks haven't played a huge role [[not the only one) in the downfall of several poor neighborhoods.

That being said Gnome, your post is quite profound.

You want proof? ... ever meet anyone who looted in '67? or lit a building a fire? I never have. But almost everyone saw a tank shoot up a building. In Detroit it is almost common belief that the National Guard caused the destruction, that the Army shot at firemen.

One of the best posts ever, especially like the above statement. You nailed it Gnome.

"You want proof? ... ever meet anyone who looted in '67? or lit a building a fire? I never have. But almost everyone saw a tank shoot up a building. In Detroit it is almost common belief that the National Guard caused the destruction, that the Army shot at firemen."

One of the best posts ever, especially like the above statement. You nailed it Gnome.

Hah! You hear all kinds of things, web wise etc. And the one about white folks taking Detroit over once the black folks are "removed" circulate often ala the times of Helter Skelter et al... we are going to be moved too? Nah, never mind don't answer that..........
    Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Man, I've heard of conspiracy theories but this one takes the cake.
    How long has this one been taking place..one year, two years..thirty years???
    I don't see a big white migration to the city unless it's from folks overseas. That seems unlikely as long as the school system, crime situation and corrupt city government system is in place.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-11-10 at 06:16 PM.

Well stated... Poetry in motion Gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Danny,

Sounds like you went to the barbershop today for a shape-up and a little ground floor philosphy. I happen to like your report on the newest theory why Detroit is in the shape it is in. It reminds me of all the other theories about Detroit and how "the other" is trying to steal it back.

Crack, smack, blow and St Ides were all evil plans to return the City to its pale roots; as was urban renewel, freeways, food stamps, HUD and spinners on the hooptie. It is always the outsider that is creeping in under the veil of darkness to bring a little devil to Devil's Night, some kneecapping to the fireworks or a wiretap to catch the honest man.

It is this same belief in "the other" that makes us bend our knees while asking for a some bus fare to go see our sick mothers, or to demand that Lansing or Washington send some moohla, as long as they don't demand an accounting of the last money they sent.

See, Danny, in Detroit it is always "the other", "the outsider" that is either screwing us over or just about to save us from screwing. The duality of "the other" is what ensnares us in our wretchedness. The killer and the saint. The fear and hope. The lover and and the shanker. They are all the same. The roots of both are from the same poisoned tree. We point to the unseen, powerful force as the cause of our state of being; we are but toys for their pleasure and regardless of our efforts we twist to their will.

In haiti such forces are called loa. Sort of Saint and spirit; either guardian or avenger and while you can appease their will with rhum or dance it is all a crap shoot.

This duality of spirit and belief in "the other" insures that you are never responsible for your fate. The Other will crush you or save you and there isn't anything you can do about it, except complain.

Make sure you don't call the cops when the neighbor's house is torched by your cousin. Throw that McDonald's bag in the street. Don't stop at redlights. Point a finger evrywhere but the mirror.

In Detroit we are liars, to ourselves.

Brilliant, Gnome! I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Bravo!

Stromberg2

Biggest fix is not buying a house one can't truly afford, but that isn't the answer you want. And I know, circumstances can change unexpectedly.

Watching what has happened with banks completely unwilling to work with homebuyers trying not to lose their dreams makes me wonder if Danny doesn't have a point. Susie says hey, I can't keep up these payments on unemployment but I can pay this amount instead. I am looking for a part time job as well, my employer will recall me from the layoff in six monts, here is their letter. Bank says, "Pay what you owe, all you owe, and get out. Building stands empty, scrappers benefit. Neighborhood gets worse, bank won't loan to buy in such a bad area. Bank repeats this thousands of times in Detroit, tens of thousands nationwide. Meanwhile Susie gets a job out of state and becomes a renter in South Carolina. The bank repeats this eviction plan nationwide, never willing to give an inch, let alone a rewritten mortgage. Banks then scream how broke they are and get billions to reward their poor business sense. And Susie is still renting, and saving money to buy a house again.

Refresh my memory of the American Dream?

Excellent posts Gnome and Mackenzie68.

Gnome: We have met the enemy and he is us.

Mackenzie68: Big dogs eat first.

Both true, both sad. Now what?

That was brilliant Gnome. I wish I could write a song like that.

Oh, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Take a good look at the houses in the area south of 7 between Woodward and John R, every other house having a bank foreclosure notice stapled to the door. Then try to convince Danny that banks haven't played a huge role [[not the only one) in the downfall of several poor neighborhoods.
    Since most of my educational years were spent in the Detroit public school system, my education may be a tad deficient.

I do seem to remember a bit of information passed by one of my teachers that a mortgage was a loan given to an individual by a bank with the propery offered as security for the loan.

If you didn't pay the loan on the agreed terms, the property would then be foreclosed upon and the bank would take ownership [[a little more involved then that, but the basic principle)..

On all of those houses with foreclosure notices, how many did the banks illegally take? On how many did the home owner default on the payment of the loan?

It has always amazed me that when people borrow money and do not pay the money back in accordance with the term they agreed to when taking the money, they blame the lender when they get in trouble.

"Greedy, blood-sucking bastards" that want to get repaid.

"... Sometimes the banks and mortage companies will hire an arsonists to have the Detroit home burn down. That will drive property values way down and prevent blacks from re-buying a Detroit home."

Now explain this to me: property values are driven down so black people can't buy homes in Detroit?

"...We point to the unseen, powerful force as the cause of our state of being; we are but toys for their pleasure and regardless of our efforts we twist to their will..."

Sounds like part of a sermon.

Actually, Detroit has been chosen by aliens for thier invasion point. The looters and arsonists are doing it because of mind control. They need the houses bulldozed so they have plenty of landing space.

whoa, hey folks my post was not meant as an attack on Danny. I know Danny and I happen to like him. He is very bright and could be called an expert in many areas of the arcane. In particular, Danny is exceedingly knowledgeable about the movement of certain ethnic groups and thereby the changing face of detroit neighborhoods.

In my post, I did use certain rhetorical devices like the 'preacher pacing' of threes. It is a well used technique and not original to me.

Again, I don't want Danny to think I was taking him to task for passing on the latest theory on how white folk are hatching plans to re-populate the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It has always amazed me that when people borrow money and do not pay the money back in accordance with the term they agreed to when taking the money, they blame the lender when they get in trouble.

"Greedy, blood-sucking bastards" that want to get repaid.
    When a bank artificially inflates the value of property, issues a loan on that inflated price, and then when the bubble bursts, refuse to work with the borrower, they are at least 50% responsible for the crisis. People are quick to blame the borrowers, but conveniently forgive the banks that started the process by over valuing the property in the first place.

Heaven forbid the borrower looses their job due to these horrible economic times. According to your logic, that person must be bad and deserves to loose their home. That is a scenario where banks should work with the owners, and maybe take a partial payment, while differing the balance until the person finds work.

There is actually a basis in fact for what Danny is saying, however he has broadened to the zenith of extremity.

It is a fact that lenders will hire contractors to go in and clean out a foreclosed home. They are not supposed to take anything off the house, like siding, or plumbing, or cabinetry. They just remove items and trash left by the outgoing residents and secure the buildings.

It is also a fact that some contractors may not strictly adhere to their mission.

It is also a fact that sometimes lenders or contractors make mistakes about the location of the target property.

This was all reported in the Freep a week or so ago:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...orners-are-cut

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I didn't realize that banks were employing so many people in the city.

Danny, considering all your informative posts, this was a real disappointment.

Although I do like #4 and #5.
    All of these plots are TRUE. In fact one black Detroiter who is living in his neighborhood saw a vacant house just across this street from his home saw a hired looter stripping the windows. Once the hired looter saw that black Detroiter, he quickly ran away leaving the stripped window behind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast