Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What did Gov. Jennifer Granholm accomplish?

It's an honest question. From my view here in Detroit I don't see that she accomplished much -- other than practically guaranteeing the Republicans the next governorship. But maybe I'm missing something. Anybody care to pipe up?

She helped get rid of Kwame.

Maybe your memory is different than mine, but it looked to me as if she was doing as little as possible to help get rid of Kwame. She clearly wanted him to leave, but she wasn't willing to use her authority as governor to actually get rid of him. It is entirely possible I remember incorrectly, or that I missed something. If so I'd be interested in actual steps she took that expedited his departure.

It was the removal from office hearing that she held that forced Kwame to cut a deal in exchange for resigning. He knew that Granholm was ready to rule to remove him from office and he cut a deal while he still had something to offer.

She seemed nice.

I can think of one - in 2003 she got her guy Melvin "Butch" Hollowell elected as chairman of the Michigan State Democratic Party!

Well, sort of. Unfortunately for "Butch", she couldn't make it stick and he had to serve in a shared-power arrangement with incumbent Mark Brewer..... and two years later "Butch" got "blown away" when she "supported" Brewer for Party chairman, who still holds the post.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I can think of one - in 2003 she got her guy Melvin "Butch" Hollowell elected as chairman of the Michigan State Democratic Party!

Well, sort of. Unfortunately for "Butch", she couldn't make it stick and he had to serve in a shared-power arrangement with incumbent Mark Brewer..... and two years later "Butch" got "blown away" when she "supported" Brewer for Party chairman, who still holds the post.....
    I remember Token, er, I mean "Butch" Hollowell's tenure as MDP co-chair.

BTW, How much more money did the MDP pay Brewer over Hollowell?

As for Governor Granholm's administration of Michigan?

Lesseeee: Reluctantly removing KK from office [[could she drag her feet any more than she did?). Shoving tax hikes down our throat that we didn't want [[and embarrassingly repealing one of them weeks after it was passed), driving numerous businesses out of Michigan and plowing Michigan's economy straight into bedrock.

Wasn't she also instrumental in appointing Art Blackwell in HP?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Wasn't she also instrumental in appointing Art Blackwell in HP?
    I almost forgot about that.

Yes, he was appointed by Gov Granholm.

I didn't vote for her in that first Democratic primary in 2002 [[?), but I can't remember who I voted for instead. After reading all the materials, I thought this other person sounded good. I remember being disappointed when she won.

Then again, my person almost never wins the primaries. The only primary I've missed was in 2001, when I was abroad. My luck has never held even in school during mock elections.

It's an honest question. From my view here in Detroit I don't see that she accomplished much -- other than practically guaranteeing the Republicans the next governorship. But maybe I'm missing something. Anybody care to pipe up?
    You forgot about the movie incentive?

http://www.michiganfilmoffice.org/Fo...s/Default.aspx

She's done other things. Look around the state website:

http://www.michigan.gov/jobs

We got a B+ from this place:

http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/...d.aspx?abrv=MI

http://www.michigan.gov/som/0,1607,7...7812--,00.html

I'm surprised all the carnivores on this site aren't excited about this one:

Licensed hunters and landowners may now take feral hogs at any time, since a package of bills has been signed by Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm, the Department of Natural Resources and Environment announced today. Hunters or individuals with concealed-carry permits may take swine running loose on public land or on private land with landowner permission. Landowners may take hogs on their property at any time.

umm, she swore that she would keep Volkswagen from leaving Michigan.

Ooops, that didn't exactly work out.

Also, she freed up a whole mess o' Pfizer lab and office space to make room for the tens of thousands of jobs she claims to have brought to Michigan.

Now other than that, let me think. There must be something, she said in five years we would "be blown away". Surely we have been?
    Last edited by kryptonite; June-09-10 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    umm, she swore that she would keep Volkswagen from leaving Michigan.

Ooops, that didn't exactly work out.

Also, she freed up a whole mess o' Pfizer lab and office space to make room for the tens of thousands of jobs she claims to have brought to Michigan.

Now other than that, let me think. There must be something, she said in five years we would "be blown away". Surely we have been?
    Don't forget about the excess of 1,000 jobs by 2010 that she lured in with Google... how many are there, less than 300 I think...

bartock Guest

She was great at campaigning, polishing turds, applying lipstick to pigs, and pointing fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    She was great at campaigning, polishing turds, applying lipstick to pigs, and pointing fingers.
    Bartock, I nominate you for "funniest Dyes post ever".

She had Michigan go from one of the top 10 richest states to one of the bottom 10 poorest states. Is that a accomplishment?

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    She had Michigan go from one of the top 10 richest states to one of the bottom 10 poorest states. Is that a accomplishment?
    It is.

But probably NOT the one the Governor would want to write about in her autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    It is.

But probably NOT the one the Governor would want to write about in her autobiography.
    I would read her book. Unfortunately, I'll bet that, like her, it'll have no spine.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; June-09-10 at 01:12 PM.

Aha! I remember another 'accomplishment'. The last I heard in 2009, she had managed to reduce the state's population by 450,000+ due to job losses. How many other governors can make that claim??

I would read her book. Unfortunately, I'll be that, like her, it'll have no spine.
    So I guess you weren't really interested in a serious answer to your question? I tried to give you one. If you were only interested in more Granholm bashing you could have put that in the other thread.

To all the haters- do you really think Dick DeVos could have done better? Seriously? I had zero confidence in that guy.

She got rid of the oldest state fair in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    So I guess you weren't really interested in a serious answer to your question? I tried to give you one. If you were only interested in more Granholm bashing you could have put that in the other thread.

To all the haters- do you really think Dick DeVos could have done better? Seriously? I had zero confidence in that guy.
    I seldom miss the opportunity for a good joke. Sorry you seem to lack a sense of humor. You have to admit, she hasn't had a great deal of backbone.

I consider myself an independent in good standing, and would applaud a governor who wanted to lead the state on a leftward track. I don't much care for Cox or DeVos. But Granholm's lack of intensity, and her willingness to do the bidding of the McNamara machine, count against her.

But assuming that anybody who has a problem with Granholm is some sort of card-carrying Republican is a damn shame. No wonder the Democratic party is in such doldrums. Not only does the MDP apparently lack the ability to critique itself, it refuses to accept legitimate criticisms of its leadership, preferring instead to attribute it to ax-grinding. So be it.

I would read her book. Unfortunately, I'll be that, like her, it'll have no spine.
    .... and it will have been ghost-written for her by the UAW, proof-read by the MEA, and "voluntarily" purchased by the
    40,000 members of the Child Care Providers Working Together union to read to their young charges.

Personally I usually vote Democratic and I would rate her as pathetic. I seriously doubt I will vote for a Democrat in November. I voted for her eight years ago and within two years felt that I had made a mistake. Her speeches alone are full of popular colloquialisms -she rarely speaks knowledgeably, preferring hokey quips instead of informed rhetoric.

The fact that Cherry dropped out [[and quickly) is a statement of her record.

Sorry you seem to lack a sense of humor
    Far from it, in fact I usually like your jokes. I'm just sick of the Granholm bashing on this site. Why start a new thread for more of the same as the other thread?

You have to admit, she hasn't had a great deal of backbone.
    I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

But assuming that anybody who has a problem with Granholm is some sort of card-carrying Republican is a damn shame.
    No, I don't assume that. I know you aren't a Republican. However, the alternative if she had lost would have been a Republican. I think the choices there were worse, so I don't regret voting for her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast