Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kwame's 40th birthday prayer rally

There should be a Good Riddance rally right next to it. I can't believe that Jesse Jackson and Farrakhan are gonna be there.

I have a prayer or two for Fibber McGee ...

Retroit Guest

"Walk with Kwame on this spiritual journey"
    Wow, just.....wow.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...lpatricks-40th

The man needs more than a prayer rally

Default Anyone go to the prayer rally....

and willing to share what the messages were from Jackson, Farrakhan, and Jakes? How many people attended? Did they pass the plate?

"Farrakhan spoke via speakerphone; Jackson wasn’t there."

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...00608074/1319/

Thanks for the link...says it all.

Darn, couldn't make it. I had to work so I can actually pay my bills.

No,and should have been reported on.

People came just to see Jackson and he wasn't even there, Farrakhan on a speaker phone, just another Kilpatrick scam. 350 people, wow I am impressed [[NOT) and Sharon McPhail out there trying to be seen, wonder what's on her agenda?

Rev. Sheffield and Kilpatrick's new attorney, Arnold Reed, spoke as well. Some notable moments included Farrakhan saying "the congresswoman and her husband" and church helpers taking donations, despite repeated reminders that the event wasn't a fundraiser.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ther_reli.html

What an absolute, racist, pile of crap. Done wrong my ass..............

My car isn't in the best working condition, so I didn't get down to Detroit. I was half tempted to go just to see who was there...

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    "Farrakhan spoke via speakerphone; Jackson wasn’t there."
    There's the conspiracy theorist in me that thinks that it could've been ANYone on the other end of the speakerphone imitating Farrakhan.

And y'know what? If this was just a prayer for someone they care about- wishing him well, praying for his good health, and hope for his spirit while Kwame was serving his time in jail- I could almost stomach it. But to get up there on the pulpit and claim it was a miscarriage of justice was shameful.

“One of our most gifted black men in America has been done wrong,” Sheffield said. And that "gifted black" man also did a lot of other gifted black men in the City of Detroit wrong too when he committed these crimes.

Retroit Guest

I couldn't go; I was at the damnation rally.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    People came just to see Jackson and he wasn't even there, Farrakhan on a speaker phone, just another Kilpatrick scam. 350 people, wow I am impressed [[NOT) and Sharon McPhail out there trying to be seen, wonder what's on her agenda?
    The Detroit News reported that only 100 people were there and has a really appropriate picture of some guy yelling out of his car window at the "rally." Sort of figured they would be lying about Jesse - he didn't even go to the Fieger and Sharpton thing and probably wanted nothing to do with that stench. And Team Kwame still tries to keep "the media out" of a public event. Amazing.

I find it amusing that in a city and region this big, with a mother that powerful, and with a network [[at one time) so large, this was the best they could muster. The fact that it was so pathetic is actually encouraging.

His new attorney's comments were just perfectly suited for the occasion. With representation like that, his appeal will go nowhere.

LodgeDodger Guest

"One of our most gifted black men in America has been done wrong," said Pastor Jim Holley, whose Little Rock Missionary Baptist Church hosted the event. "Some of the greatest folk we know have been in jail," he added, listing Kilpatrick alongside Martin Luther King Jr., Gandhi, Malcolm X and Jesus Christ.
    I find that quote incredibly offensive! To mention Kwame Kilpatrick as if his prison sentence is for a reason even remotely similar to the reasons Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Gandhi, Malcolm X, and Jesus Christ spent time in jail.

And what does Holly even know? The account of Jesus' trial and crucifixion to my knowledge never mentions 'jail'. Arrest, trial, and execution but jail?

And you are right, Kwame's legal problems relate to extreme corruption, not to passive resistance or civil disobedience.

Holley is an ass.

Freep reports 350people, News reports 100, Mlive reports hundreds, which one appears to be sensationalizing the story.

And Attorney Reeds comments are outlandish, talk about playing the RACE card, great now we get to listen to this cr*p.
    from Mlive article posted by afoley [[thanks)
    "They got negroes running scared," Reed said. "You can't even mention Kwame's name. If you decide to help save this young man, they'll put you on a proverbial black list. Well I'm here to say that I'm not scared."

And really "if you mention Kwame's name they put you on a black list". I wouldn't doubt that the Feds are investigating EVERYONE connected to Kwame. So if that's the black list than there is probably a reason you are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    "if you mention Kwame's name they put you on a black list".
    I took that as a cultural reference.

For those not in on the joke, we have been having a long discussion in another thread about what a "black" restaurant might refer to, whether that is appropriate language to use, "black" as a descriptor of race vs "black" as a descriptor of cuisine, whether more appropriate language even exists, and so on.
    Last edited by fryar; June-09-10 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Backtracking and Splaining. Ain't trying to start nuthin.

Shame on all of them for those shameful, racist, inflamatory remarks. No white person would be able to say those things and get away with it. Setting a fine example for young blacks on how to conduct themselves, arent't they? Nothing about breaking the law, stealing, cheating...........all those things are ok if you are black? Nothing said about what Kwame could and should have done with any talent and chrisma he had. Nothing.....but racist crap. That's the way to improve race relations and improve the area that we all live in.......great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Press View Post
    T-shirts had been distributed at the beginning of the rally with Kilpatrick’s image on the front and a Bible quote: “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...00608074/1319/
    It's the ultimate ironic t-shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    I took that as a cultural reference.

For those not in on the joke, we have been having a long discussion in another thread about what a "black" restaurant might refer to, whether that is appropriate language to use, "black" as a descriptor of race vs "black" as a descriptor of cuisine, whether more appropriate language even exists, and so on.
    I did not intend for the "black list" comment to be the race card, and understood the intent of "black list" to mean "bad list" or some such. My comment regarding the race card was in reference to Reed's comment "They got negroes running scared," Reed said". And furthermore why would it just be "negroes" running scared, Kwame had contact and obvious support from more than just "negroes".

But I can see how your discussion could go. I have found myself being cautious how I use some words, black being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    It's the ultimate ironic t-shirt!
    MLive article described the t-shirt a bit more than the freep article:
    church attendants handing out T-shirts -- adorned with the mayor's face on the front and a Biblical scripture above the city's skyline on the back

while the freep quoted the scripture
    You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
    It's kind of ironic that we happen to be the ones that are free. Wonder if Kwame will get the message?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast