Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Honest John's sold?

That's the word on the street, anyway. Rumor has it that John's wife is ill, and he sold the bar so he could take care of her. I hope the new owners more or less keep it running the same. I also wish John and his family the best. He's been a Detroit institution for decades.

My understanding is he sold it to one of the bartenders and his wife. I heard about it a few weeks ago, I was told nothing should be changing too much.

Ravine Guest

That's the second case, tonight, of something honest being sold out around these here parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    That's the second case, tonight, of something honest being sold out around these here parts.
    Seems to be a pattern.

You guys are a little behind there was an article in the paper few days ago about him selling the bar to get away from his alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    That's the word on the street, anyway. Rumor has it that John's wife is ill, and he sold the bar so he could take care of her. I hope the new owners more or less keep it running the same. I also wish John and his family the best. He's been a Detroit institution for decades.
    The word is on the street. It is also in the paper.

http://detnews.com/article/20100606/...r-for-his-wife

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Seems to be a pattern.
    Yeah, like a pattern on the dress whose hem a certain snivelling mascot is cowering behind.

I get the feeling Ravine knows something...

so are the ilitches trying to establish a toehold north of MLK?

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    The word is on the street. It is also in the paper.

http://detnews.com/article/20100606/...r-for-his-wife

Wow. I had no idea. I missed that column. What a beautiful piece by Rubin - and a heart-wrenching story about John and Irene. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Good, maybe I'll go back. I was never kicked out but I can't deal with the overly opinionated, ignorant non-sense from John. Hope all is well wih his wife but I still think he is a Grade A asshole.
    Last edited by jt1; June-08-10 at 11:23 AM.

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Good, maybe I'll go back. I was never kicked out but I can only deal with the overly opinionated, ignorant non-sense from John. Hope all is well wih his wife but I still think he is a Grade A asshole.
    Please don't, didn't you read that everyone wants the place to remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Please don't, didn't you read that everyone wants the place to remain the same.
    I liked the place with the exception of John. If the one thing I didn't like leaves then it makes the bar much more appealing.

My post should have said 'can't deal with'

Honest John's is one of our favorite places!! I've taken numerous family and friends and out-of-town visitors there to enjoy a real Detroit treasure. And on the few occasions when John was around, he was delightful in engaging my guests in conversation, asking where they were from and, invariably, mentioning some familiar bar or restaurant back home.

Best wishes to Irene for a quick and full recovery!!

I like Honest ? Johns... I just don't like John. As far as a "heart-wrentching" story... Still doesn't make up for his behavior. Everyone has been shit on one way or another. It doesn't give you the right to be an A-hole to everyone around you. Hopefuly his wife will be ok and John can lay off the blow and booze but, I think the place is better off.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Good, maybe I'll go back. I was never kicked out but I can't deal with the overly opinionated, ignorant non-sense from John.
    Most good dive bars have overly opinionated owners, that's what makes the places charming.

Business should pick up,with the absence of JT!

Haven't been there in quite a while. Had many good evenings, at the old and new locations. One exception: A friend visiting from L.A. tried to sneak a photo. Not a good night!
    Best wishes to Irene...