Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 32 school closures, 18 off list

Here is the list of school closings, the list has changed from the other ones they put out. These are to close for good this month.

Barsamian Alternative High School,
    Bethune K-8, Bethune ELC, 10825 Fenkell St. [[moves to Fitzgerald Elementary, 8145 Puritan St.)
    Boykin Continuing Education Center, 10225 Third Street
    Bunche Elementary, 2601 Ellery St.
    Burt Elementary School, 20710 Pilgrim St.
    Burton International School, 1333 Pine [[program moves to Owen Academy, 2001 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.)
    Campbell Elementary, 2301 E. Alexandrine St.
    Coffey K-8, 17210 Cambridge Ave.
    Cooley High School, Cooley North Wing special education center, 15055 Hubbell Ave.
    Crary Elementary School, 16164 Asbury Park
    Crosman Alternative High School/McKinney Day Treatment Center, 8820 Woodrow Wilson
    Detroit Transition Center East
    Detroit Transition Center West
    Dixon Elementary,19500 Tireman St.
    Ellington
    Earhart Middle School, 1000 Scotten St.
    Hancock Alternative Middle School
    Hanstein Elementary, 4290 Marseilles Street Harding Elementary/Harding Annex,14450 Burt Road
    Holcomb Elementary,18100 Bentler St.
    Langston Hughes Academy, 19900 McIntyre Jamieson Elementary, 2900 W. Philadelphia St.
    Malcolm X Academy, 3550 John C. Lodge
    McColl Elementary, 20550 Cathedral St.
    McFarlane Elementary, 8900 Cheyenne St.
    McKenny Elementary, 20833 Pembroke Ave.
    Osborn High, 11600 E. Seven Mile Trombly Alternative High, 1095 Hibbard
    West Side Academy Alternative High, 1851 W. Grand Blvd.
    Longfellow support building, 13141 Rosa Parks Blvd.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0qCs5DaZ3

The news that floored me most is that King is closing in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    The news that floored me most is that King is closing in 2012.
    Only temporarily, they're supposed to be building a new school on the same site.

Whew! Thank God... I have a ton of friends who are alumni, and couldn't imagine the Cass-Renaissance-King triumverate of my youth broken up.

I think it's sad that Osborn is closing. It wasn't the greatest building, but with all that Laura Osborn did for the DPS I think it is a shame that no school will be named for her.

Osborn is being moved and divided into smaller schools [[each grade level will be its own "school"). From what I understand, Osborn is operating this way now. I don't know if they'll still be known as Osborn or if the name is going to change.

Why are they currently installingWiFi and replacing carpet in Cooley when it is slated to close?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    Why are they currently installingWiFi and replacing carpet in Cooley when it is slated to close?

That is what government does.

What a huge shame Cooley is closing. That is definitely one of the most architecturally significant school buildings in all of Michigan. Is was one of the small number designated with state significance on the recent DPS National Register of Historic Places multiple resource nomination. Most were of local significance, but Cooley was among those with state significance. It'll be a shame when that building closes and the vandals begin their work

On another note, I'm really glad to see that Carstens is staying open, among the others selected to remain open. There were a few other architecturally significant ones which were on the "Closed" list which now won't be, so that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Osborn is being moved and divided into smaller schools [[each grade level will be its own "school"). From what I understand, Osborn is operating this way now. I don't know if they'll still be known as Osborn or if the name is going to change.
    Not entirely correct. Osborn is already divided into four schools now. The upper school [[10-12) and the 'small' schools which currently are only 9th grade. Next year, the small schools are moving to the Brenda Scott building and the upper school is pretty much going to be dissolved. All the small schools are adding 10th grade next year, then 11th grade the year after, and then finally 12th grade in the third year. It's a gradual phase in system to have three completely separate schools. The small schools now all have different names-- Osborn College Preparatory HS, Evergreen HS, and Math, Science, and Technology HS.

I have NO CLUE why they are installing Wi-Fi at Cooley. I was wondering the same thing myself. Someone said it was for the summer school program that will be held there this year.

The carpet is being straightened in the auditorium for graduation. We aren't putting in any NEW carpet. They are the carpet squares and were all crooked and had spaces. That money is not coming from general funding. The senior class paid for it. Normally, we would leave money for the next senior class but since there won't be one, we hired a cleaning crew to come in and clean the auditorium and restrooms and fix the carpet. We are spending ALL of the money that would be left for next year's seniors on the kids and giving them things they aren't expecting as part of their graduation package.

Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    Not entirely correct. Osborn is already divided into four schools now. The upper school [[10-12) and the 'small' schools which currently are only 9th grade. Next year, the small schools are moving to the Brenda Scott building and the upper school is pretty much going to be dissolved. All the small schools are adding 10th grade next year, then 11th grade the year after, and then finally 12th grade in the third year. It's a gradual phase in system to have three completely separate schools. The small schools now all have different names-- Osborn College Preparatory HS, Evergreen HS, and Math, Science, and Technology HS.
    Thanks! I was close but just didn't know the technicalities

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    This is very common with DPS. I remember working for DPS back in 05 when they were renovating Northern and three years later it was closed. Now it is an all-girls school. Same with Chadsey. I think they spent $3,000,000 on replacing the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by laurin View Post
    Was this the doing of the previous superintendent, Connie Calloway? I remember she was planning to break up some of the high schools into smaller schools.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Was this the doing of the previous superintendent, Connie Calloway? I remember she was planning to break up some of the high schools into smaller schools.

It was Calloway's idea.

The article lists Crosman HS at 8820 Woodrow Wilson as closing... but the building there is already closed, and has been for at least a year. Did the program move elsewhere and they just have the wrong address?

How the hell can they close Osborn and leave Pershing open? Osborn is a newer building than Pershing and I would think that would be taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    How the hell can they close Osborn and leave Pershing open? Osborn is a newer building than Pershing and I would think that would be taken into consideration.

Osborn is in terrible shape. I know that admin kept delaying fixes in hopes that it would be closed. I don't know what shape Pershing is in, but I don't think age of the building has too much to do with it. It just wasn't taken care of properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    All Jokes Aside..[[Wasn't that the name of a comedy club in Foxtown?) there are a number of school buildings throughout the city that should be knocked down. Emerson Middle School on Curtis is a prime candidate. I went from west to east, north to south and visited a number of DPS buildings and the condition of these schools would have you crying that teachers have to work in dilapidated environments and students have to learn in buildings where the windows so old they can't keep the elements out.

I don't know what they are doing at other schools as far as student records are concerned, but at Cooley we are transfering all student records downtown [[the movers have already begun their work) and are shredding any paperwork with student info on it [[we hired a company to do the shredding...something like the Shred-It trucks). Nothing should be left in the building with regard to student information. I don't know what will happen to the books and supplies. "They" were in today taking an inventory of the electronics. I know other schools have closed and student records have been left behind but, at least at Cooley, we are doing things the right way. We are even shredding testing information. I know inquiring minds wanted to know what was happening, so this is the scoop.

One of our teachers [[who happens to be an awesome photographer) also put together a DVD of pictures of the architecture of the building. It's amazing. He got to places that I didn't even know existed. He's selling them for 15.00 each. I suggested he try Ebay as a way to get the DVD out there. I am sure he'll let me give out his email but I'll have to check. If anyone is interested, message me here and I'll try and get his contact info to you.