Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Peace Corps Volunteer Roll Call

I'm in the middle of the peace corps application process and so excited. I am amazed at how many people I meet that say "oh I was in the Peace Corps!"

any DYESers out there returned volunteers?

I am getting ready to click "submit" on my application as well. I am just going through and re-writing my cross-cultural and motivation essays. I'll probably have that done to my satisfaction by the end of the week.

I have been thinking about this since high school [[the 1970's!) but this is the first time in my life I have had skills/experience to share, no job/career responsibilities, and no significant personal relationship tying me down.

I hear applications are up, too.

3. Default

I'm here. Peace Corp Volunteer Swaziland 1968-1970. Great experience. Life changing.

Ombili also served in Nambia more recently and would know more about the current picture.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-08-09 at 04:24 PM.

Sorry, I'm so late with my response. I've never clicked on the connections tab. I served in Namibia, teaching ESL, from 2000-2002. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me: joyelleindetroit@yahoo.com

I went for my interview yesterday [[6/18). The recruiter came from Chicago and had a public event at the Detroit Library on Woodward on Wednesday evening, then did interviews at the Inn on Ferry Street on Thursday morning. I found the interview to be very helpful, and the recruiter was very professional, warm, and friendly.

I was pleased to know that I qualify for about 8-10 different jobs, so it should be no problem placing me, assuming I make it through the legal, medical, etc., process. However, applications are up lately and the most reasonable expectation for being placed in the field is August 2010 - nearly 15 months away! The stars in my life are aligned for this to happen now - and I hope they will still be aligned 15 months from now!

But that is even more reason - if you have any thoughts about doing this - start the application process NOW.

I do want to thank Lowell for taking an hour or two to share his Peace Corps experiences with me at the DYes picnic on Belle Isle on Memorial Day. That gave me more confidence going into the interview.

Well it took me almost 4 months but I finally got all 63 pages of my medical application materials together and sent in. It cost me over $700 to get everything done, and I was reimbursed almost $200, for over $500 out of pocket costs. Wow, I must really want to do this! The earliest I can leave would be June, assuming I pass the medical exam.

Just found out last week that I passed the medical exam.

I just accepted my invitation today -- I report on June 5 for 27 months of teaching English at a university in Mongolia! Thanks again, Lowell, for all your help sharing your Peace Corps experience and answering my questions at the picnic last summer!

Congrats, Frankg! I'm sure that you will find your experience most rewarding. I say that based on my son's much shorter experience in Kenya a few years back. I know that even the few weeks spent volunteering were rewarding and enlightening, so I can only imagine that a commitment of months, and even years, heightens that result immensely. Best wishes!!!

Congrats Frankg. Wow. Mongolia. I always wanted to go there. May your yurt be warm. We'll look forward to your posts and observations from there.

Bon voyage, Frank.

I am happy to report that my first year of Peace Corps service has been awesome! I am in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, teaching Management courses to MBA and PhD students at the Institute of Finance and Economics. I am also involved in organizing an English Club for undergraduates at my school, an inter-university English competition, a Toastmasters group, and soon to start a classics book club. I have had the opportunity to travel to several parts of the country for my job to teach MBA courses, too. Not much different than my life was in America, really.

The Mongolian people are very friendly, and they have a very rich history and culture. The countryside is beautiful. The food is great. They don't carry guns. They don't push their religion on you. And -- there is a high density of karaoke joints.

Peace Corps is good -- free medical care -- no premiums, co-pays, or deductibles! They do take care of us and keep us safe. Other volunteers are awesome, the coolest group of people you'd ever want to hang with. But honestly, Pre-Service Training [[PST) was very boring, taught at the 6th grade level by instructors who didn't know the material any better than at the 6th grade level, and who don't like intelligent questions, comments, or discussion in their classes. Oh, well, I'm glad that part is over and they leave me alone to do my job now.

When I read about what is going on in Michigan and the US I just want to stay here. I am definitely going to try to sign up for a third year, or else just get a job here when my service is done.

Thanks, Lowell, for taking the time for the in-depth discussion of your Peace Corps experience during one of the DYes picnics, it really helped alleviate my concerns.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that all is well, that you are indeed finding the experience rewarding and fun. Sounds like you are having the time of your life!!!

All the best to you!!!

Kathleen

Great to hear from you Frank. I'm happy to hear it has gone so well. Thanks for the update and keep them coming. You go to teach and end up being the one taught. Hey at least you have the internet and don't have to wait a few hours to patch together a scratchy phone call home.