Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cops prowl Detroit for guns

I admit I have very mixed feelings about this issue, but I prefer fewer guns out there.

I've had more than my share of criminal attacks where even if I carried a weapon probably would have cost me my life.

The only way I see a weapon as a viable defense is to always keep it in your hand, with one in the chamber and the safety off. That is not a world I wish to live in.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...-hunt-for-guns

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    I admit I have very mixed feelings about this issue, but I prefer fewer guns out there.
    I'm glad to see these thugs get burned. They're getting a break by being caught and sent to an American court and prison.

Bottom line, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear, despite what Ron "my thug son was killed by Detroit Police for being a thug" Scott has to say.

If you ain't got the time,[[or life to spare) don't do the crime.

I'm sick and tired of these so-called activists hampering the cops from doing their jobs. They bitch when crime happens, then bitch when the police capture the perpetrators.

To all decent folks of Detroit: take back the city for yourselves tonight, take back the city tonight!
    Last edited by Detroitej72; June-07-10 at 01:35 AM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I'm glad to see these thugs get burned. They're getting a break by being caught and sent to an American court and prison.

Bottom line, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear, despite what Ron "my thug son was killed by Detroit Police for being a thug" Scott has to say.

If you ain't got the time,[[or life to spare) don't do the crime.

I'm sick and tired of these so-called activists hampering the cops from doing their jobs. They bitch when crime happens, then bitch when the police capture the perpetrators.

To all decent folks of Detroit: take back the city for yourselves tonight, take back the city tonight!
    Well said Detroitej72. Ron Scott needs to shut the hell up. I'm sure his son didn't meet his end by being innocent and doing nothing wrong whatsoever. I am sick and tired of people like him making excuses for criminals and shifting the blame to the cops.

When Officer Huff was MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD last month that a**hole, Ron Scott, had the unbelievable gall to infer that he somehow deserved it because of other incidents of alleged police brutality.

People need to support the Police because they are doing a thankless job in Detroit and putting their lives on the line every day to defend people.

Bottom line, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear
    Yeppers, that is one way to excuse violating civil rights.

And God forbid they should find any illegal aliens. They would probably have to put them in a convertable and drive them up and down Woodward in a parade with floats and confetti.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    And God forbid they should find any illegal aliens. They would probably have to put them in a convertable and drive them up and down Woodward in a parade with floats and confetti.
    Yeppers, I have to worry how "illegal aliens" might wash the dishes in the restaurants I eat in.

Keep an eye out for civil liberty infractions, yes. But also understand this type of policing has been proven to work. Proven to reduce violence in the community. Like everything, you have to walk that fine line and watch things don't get carried away either way, but I would call this proactive policing and the results it has already shown to be a nice glimmer of hope.

What's really important is that the police be able to stop you for jaywalking and try to take as many guns away from the people as possible? Um ...

I have carried [[with CCW) since March and have never been stopped while driving or walking in Detroit. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who the thugs are. The police need to be stopping those idiots any time they can.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I have carried [[with CCW) since March and have never been stopped while driving or walking in Detroit. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who the thugs are. The police need to be stopping those idiots any time they can.
    So tell us, how you know who the thugs are.

I know how they talk, walk, dress, carry themselves, etc. Anyone that has actually spent any time with them should be able to figure it out.

So tell us, how you know who the thugs are.

I know how they talk, walk, dress, carry themselves, etc. Anyone that has actually spent any time with them should be able to figure it out.
    You mean the guy I hang with, that has lots of tattoos, 250 lbs, wears a tam and overalls.

Let me ask his wife and daughter if he is a thug, or a good provider.

You mean the guy I hang with, that has lots of tattoos, 250 lbs, wears a tam and overalls.

So tell us, how do you know what a good provider is?

Does he run when approached by a police car?

That's funny. Here's an old tale like that, as best as I can remember it. One time a man in Detroit shot a policeman. He was hauled into Edward Jeffries' court. Jeffries said to the cop, "What happened?"

The cop said, "I found this man looking suspicious and I addressed him. He ran down an alley. When I chased him, he shot me!"

"Why did you question this man?"

The cop answered, "He looked suspicious."

Jeffries said, "How did you know he had a gun?"

The cop said, "I didn't know he had a gun until he pulled it out and shot me."

Jeffries said the cop had no reasonable grounds to question the man. "You didn't know he was armed. You didn't know he was doing anything wrong!"

"But he ran away! He shot me!"

Jeffries, unmoved by the testimony, had the charges dismissed, the man released, and his gun returned to him.

My kind of judge, actually.

There is no way in hell you can tell someone is a criminal by how they talk, walk, dress and carry themselves.

Everybody knows your talking about hip hop culture, please dont try to deny it. A good percentage of young black males participate in that culture and they are not criminals.

This is why I have a big problem with suburbanites who have never spent time with black people becoming Detroit cops. I see them all the time searching kids cars, everyone in cuffs, violating these kids rights and then they send them on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    So tell us, how do you know what a good provider is?
    Ask his wife and child, otherwise just continue to be an a**hole.

Golly gee, that man is wearing a suit and tie. He would never commit a crime.

1,500 illegal guns found already... Seems like they know where to look.

But by all means, go back to the status quo. It was working out great.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    There is no way in hell you can tell someone is a criminal by how they talk, walk, dress and carry themselves.

Sorry Donpablo, but most experienced police officers are pretty damn adept at picking out those that are up to no good by the way they walk, talk and carry themselves. It's a necessary skill set for anyone who spends their day dealing with some of the worst society has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Keep an eye out for civil liberty infractions, yes. But also understand this type of policing has been proven to work. Proven to reduce violence in the community. Like everything, you have to walk that fine line and watch things don't get carried away either way, but I would call this proactive policing and the results it has already shown to be a nice glimmer of hope.
    Johnlodge put it perfectly. In countless cities across the country, this approach has worked. And it is working in Detroit, with the number of shootings and homicides dramatically down from the year before. As Johnlodge stated, the police should not be allowed to run roughshod over people's rights, but we also have to recognize that police must take a more proactive approach if we are to reduce crime anytime soon. What other alternatives are there that are grounded in reality and produce results?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Sorry Donpablo, but most experienced police officers are pretty damn adept at picking out those that are up to no good by the way they walk, talk and carry themselves. It's a necessary skill set for anyone who spends their day dealing with some of the worst society has to offer.
    Sure, lots of cops do seem to have a knack for knowing when people are breaking the law. But, then again, I've been stopped by police lots of times, but they never find my contraband. Must be because I'm just a polite, squeaky-clean white dude who always obeys the law.

Even though I have a little bit of an issue with this, I DO AGREE with it because [[someone can correct me appropriately if wrong) what other option can the police do about this? I personally have seen this type policing in the city lately and if that means the city be safer overall, so be it.

Like I said, there's a balance in everything. You have to have the Jams' and Detroitnerds out there looking out for abuse. But the police are actually out there looking for trouble before it happens and taking illegal guns off the streets for once, and it already shows. How many people getting asked "how are you doing tonight" by a cop looking to gauge their reaction, who may or may not be breaking any laws, are worth keeping one bullet out of an innocent kid?

I was referring to thugs, not criminals.

Golly gee, that man is wearing a suit and tie. He would never commit a crime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast