Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default William Boeing: born in Detroit, 1881...

I learned of Boeing being a fellow born-in-Detroit[[er) while touring the Boeing plant in Everett, Washington this past April. I'm surprised that I never heard mention of his birth place before, especially since I have been a lifelong aviation buff.

Does anyone know where in Detroit Boeing was born? Considering that he was born in 1881, my guess he was born in his family home. Is there any record of the street he lived on in Detroit?

There is a wonderful biography on William Boeing on the company website.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/boeing_bio/index.html

Marle Boeing lived with her son William at 1189 Woodward Ave. in 1890.

Now it is a building at the corner of Woodward and State.

Fascinating history.

Another interesting fact in 1905 or there a bouts This building which was called a private home, 40 rooms, was turned into a private hospital for chronic invalids.

Mrs. Boeing a widow at that time was a very wealthy widow. Her husband was a rich German Mining engineer.

Have scoured the photo files for 1189 Woodward to no avail. The old pictures of Woodward are unclear.

This photo posted to Flickr is the same as the Wilhelm Boeing House, 1875 shown in The Buildings of Detroit by W. Hawkins Ferry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southofbloor/4141717188/

I imagine that the son William born 1881 lived in this house as a child.

Also, keep in mind that the address numbering system changed around 1920. Today's 1189 Woodward may be further north than in 1881.

Kathleen;

Thanks for posting the photo. I have that book, but never looked in it for that photo, but the numbering system always throws me, since it changed in 1920.

Thanks again.

I will try to remember to check the Detroit City Directories next time I am at the Burton...but here's a clue to the location of the Boeing house...

Yesterday I was doing research on a house on Cass on the WSU campus. In 1914, it was numbered 1019. Today its address is 5229 Cass.

And during past research on the Cultural Center area to determine how many houses were razed from the block that now is home to the main Detroit Public Library, I was jotting down names and addresses along Cass and Woodward from Warren up to Ferry Street and on the cross-streets. From my notes, I see that the Frank Hecker House which is at the corner of Woodward and Ferry was originally numbered as 1170 Woodward. Today it is 5510 Woodward.

So I think it is safe to say that the Wilhelm Boeing House at 1189 Woodward was located on the west side of Woodward somewhere near Palmer St.

A check of the Detroit City Directory for the early 1890s confirms that the Boeing House was located on the west side of Woodward in the vicinity of Ferry and Palmer.

Notable neighbors at that time included Dexter M. Ferry, Col. Frank Hecker, and Hazen Pingree.

When William Boeing decided to be in the aviation making business, he went to Kansas due to plenty of field space and less trees. Then his company established its WHQ in Seattle, WA.

Actually Danny as i recall Boeing wound up in Seattle because he needed MORE trees for his planes, since they made 'em out of wood & canvas back then

But I should add, since my dad is a Detroiter who went to Seattle for employment during a previous recession that oft took him to "The Air Capitol Of The World" for the next 40-odd years, Wichita holds a crucial spot in U.S. aviation history
    http://www.kansasaviationmuseum.org/

BTW, the rail enthusiasts can appreciate the "Boeing Trains" from Wichita to Renton, WA. A friend who's a Boeing employee can vouch those 2.000 miles hold a fair amount of gun enthusiasts;
    http://www.nwownrailfan.com/archives.../0204camp.html