Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Charles Pugh running for City Council

Appears to be a breath of fresh air compared to the status quo.

[url]http://www.freep.com/article/20090424/COL10/904240367/?imw=Y[url]

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Appears to be a breath of fresh air compared to the status quo.

[url]http://www.freep.com/article/20090424/COL10/904240367/?imw=Y[url]
    Different name, same tiara.

We'll see what his platform is about. Let's hope he has more substance than what he's shown on the radio.

I would rather vote Tiara out and put Pughes in just to send a message. If he ends up being Tiara II then vote him out and send another message. Not saying I'm completely sold on Pughes, but I'm half way sold on him.

Default Not so sure

Im not so sure about Charles being the savior everyone seems to think, I believe you might find him voting in the same old Detroit way on many issues.

I'm for him, yes he would apologize for kwame, but I remember right when it became clear that kwame would no longer be mayor, you could just tell that he was happy about it. Pluss I listen to JLB every morning and he is never afriad to just plain disagree and argue with foolish and mr chase. He has a good perspective on most issues. I was bummed last week when I found out he was not going to be on the radio any more. But I'm amped he is running for city council.

The fact is, if he manages to get voted in, it would be a huge step for the archaic-minded voting bloc of Detroit, who are probably unwavering in their distaste for gays of any stripe. Regardless of his views politically, it would be a huge step forward for Detroit's notoriously backwards voters to give someone like Pugh a bow of acceptance. It would really signal a new dawn of consciousness, and for that reason I don't see it happening. Detroit voters think like this: I can't imagine things getting any worse, but as long as you stoke the angry by-products of my self hatred and play to my basest fears and insecurities, I will vote for you no matter how totally unqualified you may be. Just "represent," and I will show you my love.

Charles Pugh has nothing in his educational, business or personal backgraound that makes him remotely qualified to hold public office. Never served on a local library board, planning commission, school board or PTA.

Reading a tele-prompter or bantering with an apt named Foolish makes him no more qualified than Martha Reeves singing "Dancing In the Streets" or MonCon prancing with the creeps.

Mr. Pugh was a water carryier for The Felon and served to place his individual interests in front of those for the City. Just because Pugh ran for Recall Kwame bandwagon when it was full to overflowing, doesn't absolve him of his support of the K-Man.

Many of those impossible thought balloons and conspiracy theories were deceminated by him, like, "They can't prove he sent those texts" and "The Free Press got the texts illegally" and "Leave the man's family alone, this is a personal matter." ... all those were discussed on his radio program. He served to spread the oiled smokescreen offered up by the the likes of Adolph Mongo and Dennis Toliver. His words served to build the walls of seperation higher and that is not serving the City or its people.

It is all about loyalties and qualifications. Mr. Pugh is loyal to The Shrine and will pull his support from the Malik Shabazzes, Horace Sheffieldes and Adolph Mongos of the world. They and their sycophants will beat the drum for Charles, will cry for a fresh voice on Council, but what makes Charles qualified?

Nothing.

Charles Pugh will get the council seat in no time. Hopefully he would replace Conyers and become Detroit City Council President.

Didn't MonCon get the lowest or second lowest total of votes in the lastest poll? I think people are just plain sick of the clownsil and looking for any kind of change. You never know until you give people a chance. Heck, how many years of Sonny Bono a US Rep?

we'll see what happens.. he needs to be public with his platform and specific issues he wants to address- he also needs to be open to suggestions for other issues to address-- he should not get elected on name alone, but for having some solid, credible ideas..

unfortunately, his se*uality will inevitably be brought up as an issue by some, who feel he is a "bad" role model by default, or that if elected he would use his position to "promote the gay agenda" as described in various alarmist-emails and newsletters.. I can see the blurbs now-- "Pugh wants your boys kissing each other, and the same for the girls! He wants 'johnny has two moms' to be mandatory reading for all 1st graders!" "Pugh wants the city insurance plan to pay for transgender operations!" watch..

For people assuming he will be in the Kwame-apologist camp, that's not going to happen. By virtue of his association with the news media, he'd be tagged as another 'outsider/carpetbagger'.. and its extremely unlikely that any black-leftist groups will endorse him, let alone most churches.. again, the g*y thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I can see the blurbs now-- "Pugh wants your boys kissing each other, and the same for the girls! He wants 'johnny has two moms' to be mandatory reading for all 1st graders!" "Pugh wants the city insurance plan to pay for transgender operations!" watch....
    Well if only the smart voters show up in August, they will know that Pugh couldn't make any of that happen from a city council seat.

"smart voters"? what is Pugh's platform? What does he believe? I think smart voters need to look beyond "names" and look at qualifications. That's how Martha/Conyers/[[and to a limited extent) Cockrel keep getting elected.

Pugh is a qualified news reader, but what else? And being better that the status quo is not a reason. "everybody and they momma" is running for council, the vetting process has to be better than, "I know his name".

Quote Originally Posted by trstar View Post
    "smart voters"? what is Pugh's platform? What does he believe? I think smart voters need to look beyond "names" and look at qualifications. That's how Martha/Conyers/[[and to a limited extent) Cockrel keep getting elected.

Pugh is a qualified news reader, but what else? And being better that the status quo is not a reason. "everybody and they momma" is running for council, the vetting process has to be better than, "I know his name".
    Who said a smart voter would vote for Mr. Pugh? I said that smart voters won't be detered from voting for him based on a conspiracy that he'll turn everyone gay. Now they might be deterred if he has no platform, but not because of his sexuality.