Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Granholm defends her leadership, says farewell.

She should have just stuck with farewell.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...-says-farewell

She has the right to defend herself.

She has a lot of reason to defend herself.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    She should have just stuck with farewell.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010060...-says-farewell
    The use of herself and the word leadership in the same sentence is laffable. She led this state to become the worst, economically among the fifty. You can blame others all you want, but nothing was even done to stop the bleeding until her seventh year in office. She wasn't lying though when she said, "In five years, you'll be blown away!" Everything has been blown away, the only thing that remains is the place on the map. This is why lawyers don't make good politicians, I wouldn't be surprised if she has never taken an economics class, which would explain this whole debacle we're in.

I thought our poor economy had something to do with the struggles of the Big Three. Private businesses gets all the credit when the economy is good and government gets all the blame when it's bad.

Thank you Granholm for bring Hollywood to Michigan, Securing tax breaks, Stopping smokers from smoking in public buildings, bringing almost 20,000 altenative jobs, starting promise scholarships, stopping the republicans for shutting down the state government, bring Robert Bobb to fix Detroit Public Schools.

You are a terrific woman and priniciples.

YAY GRANHOLM

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The use of herself and the word leadership in the same sentence is laffable. She led this state to become the worst, economically among the fifty. You can blame others all you want, but nothing was even done to stop the bleeding until her seventh year in office. She wasn't lying though when she said, "In five years, you'll be blown away!" Everything has been blown away, the only thing that remains is the place on the map. This is why lawyers don't make good politicians, I wouldn't be surprised if she has never taken an economics class, which would explain this whole debacle we're in.
    She is not the reason that Michigan became stuck in its economic quagmire. Yes, she was charged with steering the ship, but leadership in Michigan has been operating on auto-pilot for several generations now. She's probably been the least complacent of leaders in Michigan in recent memory, which seems to be pretty much evident to everyone but the people who live in Michigan...

Toronto today is Canada’s principal city, a status it wrested from Montreal not that long ago. That’s lesson enough, one with think, about the need for vigilance in continually raising one’s game.

Yet Toronto has been on auto-pilot these past two decades, afflicted by the same complacency that began to jeopardize Detroit in the 1960s. Detroit was then America’s 5th-largest city and controlled more than 80 per cent of the U.S. auto market. There seemed no compelling reason then for Detroit to prepare for a 21st-century “knowledge economy.” One not geared to workers unskilled in engineering, product design and efficient manufacturing methods on which the old Detroit economy was based.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...ans-to-toronto

don't blame Granholm, everyone knows its BUSH'S fault.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    don't blame Granholm, everyone knows its BUSH'S fault.....
    ....and Engler's...don't forget Engler. NOTHING could be done in the last decade because he was so good at being evil.

She did nothing for 8 years - See ya!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ....and Engler's...don't forget Engler. NOTHING could be done in the last decade because he was so good at being evil.

of course, she was only trying to clean up his mess, it's too bad she won't be getting another 4 years to complete it...

what really sucks is the next republican governor is gonna get ALL the credit for what Granholm has set up and establish, once this states economy turns around right after the election... all the Repulicans will have to do is sit back and enjoy the prosperity she devised.....

don't let the door hit you in the azz on the way out

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    of course, she was only trying to clean up his mess, it's too bad she won't be getting another 4 years to complete it...

what really sucks is the next republican governor is gonna get ALL the credit for what Granholm has set up and establish, once this states economy turns around right after the election... all the Repulicans will have to do is sit back and enjoy the prosperity she devised.....
    Which one - or both - are being cheeky?

I mean seriously, Granholm did not devise any prosperity. People credit Reagan/Bush for the prosperity under Clinton, so it goes both ways. When she was running for Governor, there was the who tobacco settlement issue and then Engler's overridden veto on the budget that she completely capitalized on, only to employ similar tactics when pushing for more taxes. I think she was a bad governor, I think Engler was a bad governor, and Blanchard before him. There's been bad leadership in this state since the 1970s, in my opinion. They ALL [[Granholm is especially good at this) blame others for any situation that's bad and take credit for any situation that's good. Problem is that we don't vote for leadership in this state, we vote for sound bites and promises.

Blown away!

They'll say anything to get into office. It's the only thing that matters.

as awful and ridiculous as Mrs. Mulhern was, good lord look at the crop of idiots running to replace her.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Problem is that we don't vote for leadership in this state, we vote for sound bites and promises.
    Isn't sound bites what everyone votes for everywhere in this nation? I don't think the overwhelming majority really want true solutions, they want comforting rhetoric.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I think she was a bad governor, I think Engler was a bad governor, and Blanchard before him. There's been bad leadership in this state since the 1970s, in my opinion. They ALL [[Granholm is especially good at this) blame others for any situation that's bad and take credit for any situation that's good. Problem is that we don't vote for leadership in this state, we vote for sound bites and promises.
    This is the best comment I have read on DYes all year. Well done, Bartock, and completely agreed.

Let this be an object lesson for all of us. In politics, especially the leftish brand, no one holds you accountable for any fiscal problems or even decline in all areas of the state you govern.

This woman has been talked about seriously for the Supreme court for god's sake. I can't say I was a big Engler fan but he was at least taken to task often on his promises and performance. This woman just keeps making nicey appearances on MSNBC and such and the idiots love her.

Us? She just wants to tax more and then leave and go a nice cushy [[lobbyist, Supreme court?) job.

Good Riddance.

When we really needed leadership,say 8 years ago,she just along with the "folks" who put her in there.Budget,and I mean real spending cuts,and tax reform would have cushioned the fall.She knows in her heart of hearts that the model of tax breaks for the film industry should have been applied to the whole state .Capital will go were it is welcome.It will flee where it is not...

Retroit Guest

While it is true that much of our state's poor economy can be attributed to Washington's inability to protect domestic manufacturers, it is time for all the numbskulls who keep electing liberals to finally realize that unless we elect some business friendly leadership, our state [[and country) is doomed. The business of our country is business, and the business of Michigan is manufacturing. Michigan isn't competing with Ohio; we're competing with China.

But I still wouldn't mind if she blew me.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    can't believe it took 10 posts for his name to come up [[even if it was in jest)

I think Granholm did the best job possible for the situation she inherited. No one could have done any better.

And, yes, let's bring up Engler. He squandered 'the seven fat years' by not guiding Michigan on a path away from one industry dependence, saving for the always sure-to-come auto roller coaster, hamstringing future governance with tax cuts and term limits [which didn't apply to him holding office for three terms], then spent out the rainy day fund and fled from Michigan. And, as mentioned above, Blanchard before him was much the same - absolutely no future vision beyond what might get them or their party elected.

Granholm and the legislature of both parties were left with the monumental task of cutting the budget that Engler and Blanchard had grown and bloated. There was never a single year of relief and no room to maneuver.

Guess what, there is no incoming messiah in either party who will be able to do anything either. The is no money and the forces behind Michigan's malaise are external, primarily federal give-away trade policies that continue to crush industry nationwide and needless foreign wars that squander our revenues and pile up debt.

I think Granholm did the best job possible for the situation she inherited.
    Can't agree with this. She is a smart and well-intentioned person, but I can't recall any time she was willing to actually take an unpopular stand or exert anything resembling leadership. It is idiotic to blame her for the decline of manufacturing employment in Michigan [[or the US, or the world for that matter) but she wasn't willing to buck any significant constituency for any reason.

In my opinion she was unrealistic about the situation facing the state and therefore didn't believe she had to advocate for the kind of changes required.

Yeah, it's all her fault. She vetoed that law requiring everyone in the other 49 states to trade in Honda, Toyotas for Ford, Chevy, Chrysler.

That said, she was in over her head. Pollyannish.

I don't know what else she could have done. Not her fault, Pfizer's patents all expired. Big 3 went to fetal position, property values plummeted.

No governer has really had to lead this state since the 40s due to economic engine of the auto industry. See what happens now. Not impressed with the 7 candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I think Granholm did the best job possible for the situation she inherited. No one could have done any better.
    *facepalm* Even the more partisan dems I talk to are embarrassed by her failure to lead and lack of significant accomplishment. She's been a very weak governor when we needed the strongest leadership in a century. Absolutely abysmal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast