Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    GUSHI Guest

Miller and mt Elliot until 1994, St Ladislaus elementary k-8 St Florian 9th and 10th grade in Hamtrmack.

I grew up near holy cross, I had many a tetanus shot and stitch there as a boy. I was born in Deaconess hospital, have no idea where it was.

I was born in St Josephs hospital in 1964.
    I lived on Rochelle street near Queen until 1997.
    I remember we had a Standard gas station at Hayes and Rochelle, Chatham supermarket, A&P, Gunninghams drugs, Civic theatre, and numerous other businesses in the Houston-Whittier/Hayes area.
    My father was a brewery worker at Pfieffer, who opened an auto repair shop on Harper near Outer Drive in the early sixties.
    It was called "Windy's Safety Service". It closed after my dad died in 1977.
    Does anyone remember getting a car fixed there, or my dad?
    His name was Richard Windemuth SR., hence the name "Windys".

Quote Originally Posted by DZanke View Post
    I grew up near holy cross, I had many a tetanus shot and stitch there as a boy. I was born in Deaconess hospital, have no idea where it was.
    Deaconess Hosp. was on the north side of E. Jefferson, if memory serves.

Hmmm. Maybe a mile or two east of I-75?
    Last edited by mikefmich; December-12-12 at 08:07 PM.

Deaconess Hospital was probably at the corner of Elmwood & Jefferson, across from Monahan's Restaurant and the adjacent motel. It appears that Elmwood has had a name change.

Hello, I grew up on 23rd and Michigan Avenue. on the West Side of Detroit.
    Attended St. Casimir's School and Cass Technical High School.
    Born at Old Providence Hospital in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    I was born in St Josephs hospital in 1964.
    I lived on Rochelle street near Queen until 1997.
    I remember we had a Standard gas station at Hayes and Rochelle, Chatham supermarket, A&P, Gunninghams drugs, Civic theatre, and numerous other businesses in the Houston-Whittier/Hayes area.
    My father was a brewery worker at Pfieffer, who opened an auto repair shop on Harper near Outer Drive in the early sixties.
    It was called "Windy's Safety Service". It closed after my dad died in 1977.
    Does anyone remember getting a car fixed there, or my dad?
    His name was Richard Windemuth SR., hence the name "Windys".
    It seems to me that we had a Mrs. Windemuth at Bethany. She was one of the cooks who made the hot lunch program work so well. Any relation?

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    It seems to me that we had a Mrs. Windemuth at Bethany. She was one of the cooks who made the hot lunch program work so well. Any relation?
    That MAY have been my grandmother, her name was Wilhelminia, but we called her Minnie. Do you remember her first name? Also was this in the forties, fifties, or..? Is Bethany a lutheran school?

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    That MAY have been my grandmother, her name was Wilhelminia, but we called her Minnie. Do you remember her first name? Also was this in the forties, fifties, or..? Is Bethany a lutheran school?
    Bethany is - or, was until 2007 - a Lutheran School at Chatsworth and E. Outer Drive. I attended Bethany from 1955 until 1964.

The school as an organization was pretty old but the old school building was built along with the Sanctuary about 1939 or 1940. Classrooms and a gymnasium were added about 1955 or 56. Mrs. Windemuth may have been at Bethany in the 40s, too.

The cooks in my early years seemed always to be very old - they all looked like someone's Grandma. The two I remember were Mrs. Windemuth and Mrs. Hammbaum.

They had a dessert that everyone liked. In a small bowl was placed a kind of hard-shell cake - a "Brown Betty?". Then they would come around to all the tables and pour a hot lemon sauce on it.

Those two must have retired from the hot lunch program around '58 or '59. A new, younger crew of women took over but the the fare tasted more institutionalized.

We kids never knew Mrs. Windemuth's first name, or the first name of many adults. If we did know their names, we never repeated it in front of them. The parents of our classmates were always Mr. and Ms. to us, even when became adults.

I'm 62. and I can't bring myself to call my old principal anything but Mr. Sheldon.

Was she a plump woman who spoke Russian or German as well as English?
    I cant think of anyone else, unless it was another person from my dads side.
    Was she a young or older woman?

I don't think she was overweight, but not skinny by any means. In 1957 - maybe 60, 63 years old.

Her speaking German AND Russian - was she an immigrant from Russia, along the Volga River near Saratov?

In 1913, my paternal grandparents came from the little village of Kind [[Bashkakova ?), near Saratov, along the Volga. Because they grew sugar beets along the Volga, they ended up at first in Deckerville [[Sanilac County) working the vast sugar beet fields on the Gough farm. They finally ended up in Port Huron where my father was born in 1919.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    I don't think she was overweight, but not skinny by any means. In 1957 - maybe 60, 63 years old.

Her speaking German AND Russian - was she an immigrant from Russia, along the Volga River near Saratov?

In 1913, my paternal grandparents came from the little village of Kind [[Bashkakova ?), near Saratov, along the Volga. Because they grew sugar beets along the Volga, they ended up at first in Deckerville [[Sanilac County) working the vast sugar beet fields on the Gough farm. They finally ended up in Port Huron where my father was born in 1919.

My Grandmother WAS born in Russia, have to ask exactly where, she was married to a German man named Heinrich, my grandfather.
    I understand he was serving in the Russian army during WWI, but not really sure about this fact.
    They probably came the US in the 20's.

As for the lunch lady, she might have been Margarite Windemuth according to my sister.

This is a long-shot on my part, and maybe just a brain fart. Was there a Paul Windemuth in the family mix?

Nobody seems to remember a Paul Windemuth, when did you know him?
    My dad did have a brother named John though.

Could have been a Paul with a different last name. Geez, 57+ years ago . . . things are a little hazy. Connecting Paul to te family name was, indeed, a brain fart.

Born at Deaconess. Grew up on the eastside. Lived on Frankfort between Lenox and Drexel, then, in 1980 moved to Farmbrook between Chandler Park Dr and Southampton.

Hey, Rochelle St. - I came across an old Bethany pictoral from the 1970 or 71 era. There is a picture of Mrs. Windemuth, just like I remember her. She is listed as Mrs. David Windemuth and an address listed as: 12120 Christy, Detroit 48205

Born Trumbull General Hostipal, grew up around Eldon Park , sandwiched between the Corridor, and Skid Row, lived n Plum Street in the late sixties

Born Trumbull General Hostipal, grew up around Eldon Park , sandwiched between the Corridor, and Skid Row, lived n Plum Street in the late sixties

Deaconess was adjacent to the Players club. The Players club is still there but the hospital is long gone. The hospital was owned by what is now UCC a religious org. I had my tonsils removed there, place stunk. ether I think. My sisters were born there. I and my younger brother were born at St John. My Dad always said the best kids were born at St.John

My mom was born in 1938 in Women's Hospital[[?), maybe it was called Butzel or something like that. She lived first at 1809 Merrick St [[Googled it: looks like a vacant lot now, between 12th and Hecla) then the family moved to 14129 Mendota, between Intervale & Kendall. In 1952 they moved to Mackinaw City, where I was born.

Hutzel Hospital?
    Quote Originally Posted by psubliminal View Post
    My mom was born in 1938 in Women's Hospital[[?), maybe it was called Butzel or something like that. She lived first at 1809 Merrick St [[Googled it: looks like a vacant lot now, between 12th and Hecla) then the family moved to 14129 Mendota, between Intervale & Kendall. In 1952 they moved to Mackinaw City, where I was born.

KARENDALACH586 Guest

I was born at Bon Secours 1960
    Lived on Roxbury near Whittier right behind Perinni’s restaurant.
    Attended Anthony WayneElementary [[Lakepointe and Courville) 1965-1971
    Region Seven Middle School [[Outer Drive and Gratiot) 1971-1974
    Lutheran East High School [[on Kelly in Harper Woods) 1974-1976 for two years then moved to Troy.
    Athens High School [[Troy) 1976-1978.

I have so many great memories of growing up on Roxbury. Moms were home when you came home for lunch and then right after school. We would leave the house at 8:00 in the morning and not come back home until the street lights were on...we played kick ball, dodge ball, climbed on monkey bars, swings, hide and seek, climbed up on the power house at Wayne Elementery, the best hiding place ever. Bowling at Denby Bowling, movies at the civic center theatre. So much fun and everyone knew everyone we were a close knit bunch!

KARENDALACH586 Guest

I loved going to Pine Knob can't get use to saying DTE. Anyway many fond memories, concerts were affordable I bet we went to one concert a week back in 78-81...those summers were the best. Bob Segar, ELO, Santana, J. Geils, Rod Stewart, Annie Lenox, America, Doobie Brothers, Beach Boys, Chicago, Eric Clapton. I think that is why I still love music it brings back memories and keeps you young!

I too still call it Pine Knob, and went to a lot of concerts there back around that same timeframe. My first one was Lynyrd Skynyrd in the summer of 76, from then until maybe 1982 or so I went to many concerts there [[not nearly one a week though!). Neil Young, Allman Brothers were probably my favorites, along with Skynyrd. The best part of seeing concerts there was the fact that you could bring in your own booze and food! We would make a party out of it. A big group of us would get lawn seats, get there early with our coolers full of beer [[the only restriction was no bottles), set up a couple of blankets down near the bottom of the hill, and party for the night. Great times.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast