Here is the direct link to that other Ramona page with pictures:

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=736&type=5

And here is a direct link to the listing of other Detroit theaters

http://cinematreasures.org/search/qu...it&search=city

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    And here is a direct link to the listing of other Detroit theaters

http://cinematreasures.org/search/qu...it&search=city
    Thanks. That is one impressive site.

I lived at the corner of Whitcomb and Lyndon. Went to Burns Elementary and St Mary's of Redford. Class of '62

I grew up in the Cass Corridor behind Orchestra Hall, went to Burton International K-8, Cass Tech, then off to Flint for college. Moved away for a couple of years, now live in West Village near Belle Isle.

Bewick near Kercheval-1964, then apt bldg St Paul and Pennsylvania to 1968. Remember the Theatre Deluxe, Mom and Tots Daycare, Waterworks Park . Moved to Sorrento near Meyers and Fenkell in 1969. Saw the building of Guest Primary [[now Bethune Annex), went to Guest Elementary then Middle School. Still viable commercial strip on Fenkell, and Butzel Playfield, Jack Adams Arena going on. Refused to attend Cooley, went to Renaissance High in 1982.Returned home to a second half [[ after the University of Michigan A2) near Whittier and Whitehill, eventually grad of UM- Dearborn. Bounced around Belle Isle area, Riverbend area, 6 and Gratiot, Elmhurst/Livernois, and North Corktown. Now near Motown Museum [[to stay), who knows?
    Last edited by Pontiac6000; May-19-10 at 02:41 PM.

Plymouth Rd. & Southfield. Rosemont. Born@ Mt. Carmel

I grew up on Glenfield Street, 5 house off of Chalmers between Huston Whitter and outer Drive.

Memories that I have:

Bumper hitching
    Firecrackers in the street
    Paper route
    Balduck Park
    Civic Movie Theater
    Eastland Mall [[girls)
    Denby Drivers Ed
    Guardian Angels
    Crusing Gratiot- good old days

Schools:
    Goodale Elementary
    St. Julianna
    St. Davids 6th grade
    Burbank- 7th grade
    Also, went to Rosa Parks [[8th grade) when St. Davids High School was converted to DPS.
    So sad to see a nice former high school go down like that.

Born in Colorado. First 5 years of my life, I lived off Woodward in Highland Park; moved to Farmington, attended William Grace Elementary before moving to Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Here is the direct link to that other Ramona page with pictures:

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=736&type=5
    My sister was a candy counter girl at the Ramona in the mid sixties. We used to get in free for movies because she worked there.

Hi, to all who live or move out of Detroit.
    I found a lot sad picture of Detroit, also where my mother once was born and live in Detroit.
    She was born in 1908, her mother and father were name Julie & William Paye, who once had a house on 486 or 2252 Belvidere Ave. But don't see there anymore on maps. I think got burn down, or freeway is now there, when neighbor went down hill, later in years. It really Sad to know this. She live there up to 1939, until met my Father then move out of Detroit.
    Juila maiden name was Cadieux, Great Cadieux Road in Grosse Pointe. She was Daughter of Francis L. Cadieux , who had a School name after him on St.Clair Ave., That a few years ago go brought out by a Public School.
    I have many story to tell you about. I hope someone know us. Many French settler are still living in Michigan or some where in U.S.A. Feel free to drop me a note. I like to hear from you.

I, too, am a "victim" of the changing Detroit neighborhood scene. Started out on Baldwin and Forest. Then to Parker and Mack. Then to Hayes and Seymour, then to Moross and Chester. Kept moving farther out. This all started from 1945 to 1963. So I have seen the changes. This is all pre riot [[67) so things moved slowly. Riots made it so I never even considered going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    I, too, am a "victim" of the changing Detroit neighborhood scene. Started out on Baldwin and Forest. Then to Parker and Mack. Then to Hayes and Seymour, then to Moross and Chester. Kept moving farther out. This all started from 1945 to 1963. So I have seen the changes. This is all pre riot [[67) so things moved slowly. Riots made it so I never even considered going back.
    So your family started "moving further out" starting in 1945? Man you were sure ahead of the curve!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    No need for the quotes around "victim" - victims is exactly what we were. Unfortunately neither my parents nor my grandparents got out of the city in time and both lost BUNDLES on their houses by waiting until the drug dealers had entered the neighborhoods and the midnight gunshots were flying. I was the first and only generation of my whole family to ever actually make money on Michigan real estate - my house was in Grosse Pointe Woods, where there was still a police force that actually enforced the laws and where criminals actually went to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I still have my ticket stub from the Leslie West concert at The Ramona - March 4th, 1977. From what I remember it was a pretty good place to see a concert. Being a west sider, I remember thinking how long of a drive it was going down 6 Mile.
    I,too, was at that same concert..."Mississippi Queen!!! Do ya know what I mean?" Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by OsbornGirl View Post
    I,too, was at that same concert..."Mississippi Queen!!! Do ya know what I mean?" Mountain.
    Too funny! I was 16 at that time. Went to a LOT of concerts back in those days. Always loved those smaller venues. Concerts were always affordable back then, even the really big names. My favorite times were going to Pine Knob with a huge group of friends and coolers full of beer, laying out some blankets at the bottom of the hill and having a party and listening to the music.

Default Growing Up in Detroit

Born in '61 at Harper Hospital. My father bought a house in Conant Gardens the following year. Went to Mason Elementary, Farwell Jr. High, Pershing High. I've left and returned too many times to count, but some of the most enduring memories are:
    A&P supermarkets
    S.S. Kresge five and dime stores
    Cunningham's drugstores
    Oaza Bakery on Conant
    W.T. Grant and Federal department stores
    Red Barn and Top Hat hamburgers
    First job: pumping gas at Chuck & Sons Standard Service on 8 Mile and Dequindre

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Danny: Not sure what you're asking. The ATlas Theatre was on Plymouth, somewhere west of Greenfield. It was your typical neighborhood theatre. They would show 2 feature films and cartoons. Movies cost 15 cents, a box of popcorn was 10 cents. [[I'm really dating myself, but this was late 50's-early 60's). A crowd of kids would walk there and walk back. I started going when I was around 8--with the oldest kid in the crowd being 12.
    While I was living on 11381 Grandmont St. South of Plymouth Rd. There used to be 4 supermarkets there. Wrigleys on the Corner of Plymouth Rd. and Ashbury Park, Kroger's at Plymouth Rd and St.Marys Street. Red Bull on the corner of Plymouth Rd and Greenfield Rd. and Dixieland Food Market on the corner of Plymouth Rd. and Rutland St. Today there are NONE!

Oldtimer-do you remember Shulties at Baldwin and Forrest?

Eastside...
    was born in 1970 at Mt. Carmel Mercy.....I grew up on Collingham [[8-mile & Gratiot). Went to St. Veronica's, Dominican, and East Detroit.

Default Born at Bon Secours in 1965

I spent the first 3 years of life on Eastlawn just off of Jefferson Ave.
    We moved to the 1st block of Chalmers in '68 and attended Guyton Elementry and went to church at St Martins. We had canals, parks, Twin Pines milkmen and milk-chutes, Good Humor Ice Cream trucks etc. I left Detroit in '83 for the U.S. Navy after Graduating from Bishop Gallagher H.S where I spent the next 26 years! My folks were finally forced to move out of my childhood home on Chalmers in '94 after too many break-in and two many cars taken out of the driveway by folks without keys. It was a sad day when they moved out of that house after so many good memories. But they found an identical floor plan just a few blocks to the east in GPP and having been enjoying their tax dollars ever since. I wouldn't trade my formative years on the streets of the lower east side of Detroit for all the tea in China.

I was born in Grace Hospital in 1926. See bio etc. at
    www.efn.org/~hkrieger/bio.htm

Northwest side. Six mile and outer drive area. St Marys street to be exact.

Not a native or a Detroiter, but I lived in the suburbs for most of the 1960s and 1970s -- started near Eight Mile and Woodward in Ferndale from infancy till just before kindergarten [[Chesterfield Street and then Webster Street).

Then Madison Heights for elementary school, junior high and most of high school -- Tawas Court [[near 11 Mile and Dequindre), then the Willow Hill condos at 13 Mile and Dequindre. I've been away since 1979 but still consider Madison Heights my home town.

I lived at 11717 Glenfield moved to Roseville in 1960. Went to Wilkens Elementary.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast