Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bike Riding Lessons

Hello everyone,

I’m a father struggling to teach my 7 year old daughter how to ride her bike. The problem stems from my reoccurring back issues that prevent me from properly assisting her. I hoped that she’d have an opportunity to learn how to ride with kids in the neighborhood like I did growing up. Unfortunately that hasn’t been the case.

If anyone can recommend an organization, group, or an individuals that offers bike riding lessons for children I’d appreciate it.

Have you thought about putting on "training wheels", those outriggers of two small wheel extending from the rear wheel which essentially makes it a tricycle? Kids can safely develop the sense of balance from using them, learn braking, turning and other two-wheel skills. After a few weeks, maybe less, of that kids I have seen immediately took off on two wheels just fine.

Wonder if anyone over at that Lexus Velodrome would be willing to help out?
    https://lexusvelodrome.com/

it seems the easiest way for kids to learn is to remove the pedal and sprocket. No chain.

Last edited by Dan Wesson; August-29-20 at 08:56 AM.

I have to go with Lowell on this one. I think everyone is overthinking this. Not every child learns at the same rate. Get the training wheels that are height adjustable and do it in increments. For the first week or so, leave them flat on the ground so the bike is steady and she gets used to being on it, pedaling, and stopping. In a couple of weeks, ask Dad to raise each training wheel about a half ½ inch only. The bike will rock but still offer her a safety net until she develops the skill to ride on the 2 bike wheels. 2 weeks after that, she'll be begging grandpa to take them off completely, because the other kids are making fun of her training wheels.

Needless to say, a helmet and padding would be a really good idea too.

Here's a really bad idea:

The Backwards Brain Bicycle - Smarter Every Day 133

Thank you for the suggestions.

^^^ I love the backwards brain bike video! That was me [[wobbly handle-bar) early this summer on the those rental MOGO bikes after having not ridden ANY bike [[beyond gym recumbents) for years!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-30-20 at 06:35 AM.

Don't forget that episode when Frasier and Niles are learning to ride bikes for the first time as ADULTS! 2:20 very funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXtl9QjGYmU