Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: For Governor of Michigan ....

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rick Snyder

17 33.33%
  • Virg Bernero

24 47.06%
  • Neither

10 19.61%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bernero vs. Snyder

From what I've heard, which hasn't been much so far, these are my two favs for Gov. One the Democrat side Bernero appears to be very passionate about what he believes, seems to genuinely care about the people and has the fight to push his agenda. On the Republican side Snyder appears to be a person with vision and business experience to guide Michigan back to prosperity. He also seems to be a moderate who would be able to work with people on both sides of the aisle.

This is my opinion based on what I know so far. I'd like to know based on your experience what you think of these two guys. Yay, nay, or maybay? Would either of these two candidates be a good choice or should we hold out for Cox?

there is nothing in Rick Snyder's background which makes him capable of running any sort of State wide office. Being a Nerd and running Gateway is great. It makes him an exceptional man but it doesn't mean he knows anything about how a law is passed.

I am really tired of folks who think passing a bill is some sort of SchoolHouse Rock episode. Ms. Granholm for all her niceness, her refined manner and outstanding moral compass couldn't sell water in a desert. She didn't know how the job worked when she waltzed in and now that she is waltzing out, doesn't seem to care. An abismal failure.

snyder, likewise, might be smart and driven and at the head of every class he took, but that doesn't count for much in the Lansing mosh pit.

Virg, office hopper and a screamer. He might win the democratic nomination, but only because of union support, which in the general won't mean much. And on outside chance that the dying gasps of ASCFME et al do serve to propel Virg into the Governor's office, one of two things will happen:

One, he will be so beholden to the Brethern that true reform will never happen and Michigan bursts into flames before exploding. Two, Virg turns his back on the people who elect him and screws them bloody. In the case of version two, Virg would be lucky to get out of office alive.

I'm writing in gnome.
    Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Would either of these two candidates be a good choice or should we hold out for Cox?
    the republican sound bites i've heard so far sound just like the simple-minded right-wing rhetoric we hear over and over ad nauseum

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    the republican sound bites i've heard so far sound just like the simple-minded right-wing rhetoric we hear over and over ad nauseum
    Just about all politicians run on soundbites. It's rare for a candidate to outline what their stances are, what they will do in office, and how they plan to accomplish it. If no Republican tickles your fancy, what Democrat or Independent does?

Virg seems to want to keep MI an auto-only state. Snyder is pushing for a tech/knowledge-based economy and wants to bring new fields to MI. Virg seems to have a 1957 mentality with regards to the economy.

Snyder wants to simplify the business tax to a flat 6%. This may result in fluctuations in tax revenues.
    At least that fear seems to be behind the complexity of the present MBT.

http://www.dykema.com/publications/d...llifiedSBT.pdf

"...One reason for including a gross receipts tax is to reduce the volatility in tax revenue collections that can result from a state's reliance on only a net income tax....

Conclusion
    ...As designed the new MBT will generally shift a significant portion of the state's business tax burden from businesses based in Michigan to businesses based out-of-state...

I like Bernero's idea of a state bank to give businesses the credit they need.
    Last edited by maxx; June-05-10 at 03:39 PM.

I'm still waiting for somebody from either party to give me a reason to vote for their asses...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Virg seems to want to keep MI an auto-only state. Snyder is pushing for a tech/knowledge-based economy and wants to bring new fields to MI. Virg seems to have a 1957 mentality with regards to the economy.
    where did you ever get that idea?

I'm curious?

Why just Bernero vs. Snyder?

There are seven candidates for governor [[so far).

Why haven't they been mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I'm still waiting for somebody from either party to give me a reason to vote for their asses...
    What would give you reason to vote for someone? What is missing that you want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    I'm curious?

Why just Bernero vs. Snyder?

There are seven candidates for governor [[so far).

Why haven't they been mentioned?
    You can mention them if you want. I just picked the two that I liked the most. The other five don't interest me. However, this thread is open to any and every candidate to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    You can mention them if you want. I just picked the two that I liked the most. The other five don't interest me. However, this thread is open to any and every candidate to discuss.
    Fair enough.

Not that I'm stumping for any of the seven at the moment, it just seemed strange to only mention two and none of the others.

http://jackshow.blogs.com/jack/michigan_governors_race/

"...Sometimes, the people have more common sense than their leaders. You can really see that in the way people are reacting to the proposal to move a few hundred of the Guantanamo inmates to a soon-to-be-closed federal prison in Standish, near the thumb.
    Pete Hoekstra, a congressman from the west side of the state, has been running around trying to scare everybody about this. "They are some of the most dangerous people on the planet," says Pete, who not-so-coincidentally is running for governor.
    Well, yes, some of them are probably dangerous, or were in their natural habitat in Afghanistan. However, here's something the congressman may have overlooked. Nobody is proposing to give them jobs in a Standish day care center. They would be put in a federal maximum security prison there, which is now slated to close.."

Hoekstra was on a local show this morning saying the obvious, that Michigan needed to cut expenses and bring in more revenues. Standish wasn't mentioned.

Bernero says Dillon is dodging debates:

http://www.votevirg.com/media/070610..._Challenge.pdf

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi.../post_132.html
    "But Hoekstra decried the $350 million in state and federal incentives that brought the LG Chem plant to his hometown....If elected governor, Hoekstra declined to promise an end to all state economic incentives."

That should get our economy rolling right along.

And on this week's "Am I Right?", he was arguing about the stimulus money and said that someone should make sure that so many Michigan tax dollars don't go to Washington to begin with. It makes nice political rhetoric, but a governor has no control over the federal tax code.
    Last edited by maxx; July-24-10 at 08:14 AM.

I wouldn't believe much of what Cox says about his opponents. I still remember his lying about Gary Peters on TV when they were running for Att. Gen.. Cox said that Peters didn't care about women and children. Peters mentioned the things he had done that benefited women and children in Michigan. Cox's next sentence was a repetition of his accusation against Peters. I wondered then how many people were in Wayne County's jails because of Cox's lying.

Snyder is a geek! with limited principles and Bernero has took his principles someplace else. I not voting for those Republicans. I'm staying Democratic forever.

Latest poll shows Bernero ahead of Dillon.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010072...433/1001/rss01

It doesn't seem as if too many people are interested in discussing the candidates for governor. Lots of complaints about poor leadership, little discussion about who should replace the poor leadership. Maybe underwhelming candidates? Maybe people just like to complain? I'm really liking Rick Snyder. I believe he is a guy that will work with both sides. Of course that means no one would be completely happy, hopefully no one would be completely left out in the cold either.

I thought one of the complaints about Granholm was she didn't have experience working with the legislature. So neither does Snyder.

on balance, it looks like Hoekstra will get my vote. While I don't care for each and every position he has taken, his record does show that he is not a idealog.

I would like to see Tom George as the choice, but his campaign has been feckless. I'm sure money has a lot to do with it, but since money is the mothersmilk of politics, Dr. George's run was still-born.

Snyder is an interesting candidate, but his utter lack of experience in the political process is a non-starter. We have just gone through 8 years of someone who has a kind heart, a smart brain, but zero legislative experience. Never again.

Cox, a liar.

Brouchard, a serial candidate who is getting stranger by the second. His recent tilt into the wacky waters of radical-right is just plain goofy. I knew him when he was a cop in Beverly Hills and he seemed like an excited labador puppy. A bundle of energy and enthusiasm, now he's more like a snarling mangy cur.

So, on-balance the vote is for Hoekstra.

November is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I thought one of the complaints about Granholm was she didn't have experience working with the legislature. So neither does Snyder.
    True. She also has no business experience either. Snyder is already one leg up on her there. Besides, no one has experience doing something before the first time they do it.

Anybody but that slimy weasel Cox.

lincoln8740 Guest

I cannot make up my mind!! I feel like a Dem.

Snyder--great on business but we need a bulldog in their to fight the entrenched unions--no more RHINOS

cox--hmmm--I think the kwame stink will hurt him a little but in a year where it appears to be a slam dunk for the republicans it will not be that big of deal in the end

hoekstra--not enough of a fighter for my taste but I am still leaning his way

bouchard--Love the right to work stance and he seems like someone that could really destroy the dems but he lacks the MOJO

oh where is big john?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    no more RHINOS
    What's a RHINO? Republican Hairdresser In Name Only? Republican Harlot In Name Only?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast