Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Company Picnic Ideas

Hey all,

I've been put on a team that is in charge of putting together our company picnic. We have some older people on staff, as well as families with small children, so we're looking for something rounded out. We'd also like to really showcase what Detroit offers, and give the city the light it deserves.

Comerica Park, The Riverwalk, Campus Martius, Belle Isle, and the Detroit Zoo all came to mind. I have sent them all e-mails or looked over their sites, but really thought you guys could help me come up with some really great ideas.

I'll take a stab at this.

How many people are involved in this company picnic?

Is it more of a company celebration that needs to be outdoors [[I guess technically a picnic should be, but...) or can it be an indoor venue with things for people to do?

Food & booze to be provided by the company or is it a potluck sort of thing? If it's held at a nice restaurant/ bar setting would your company be willing to spring for that?

Just some more specifics might help. And kudos to you and your company, in this day and age of corporate belt tightening to be offering a perk like this too.

Can't resist, the Packard plant. No rental fees.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Can't resist, the Packard plant. No rental fees.
    Unless you want to take a Banksy piece out of there and then its priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Hey all,

I've been put on a team that is in charge of putting together our company picnic. We have some older people on staff, as well as families with small children, so we're looking for something rounded out. We'd also like to really showcase what Detroit offers, and give the city the light it deserves.

Comerica Park, The Riverwalk, Campus Martius, Belle Isle, and the Detroit Zoo all came to mind. I have sent them all e-mails or looked over their sites, but really thought you guys could help me come up with some really great ideas.
    Mt. Elliot park is very nice. There's also a park on Jefferson between the University Club and the Somerset Apartment bldg that's always available. There's also the Omni Hotel right off of the River. Or, if you want to do something out-of-the-box, you can have a roof-top picnic. The outside of the Millender Center Apartments where the Tennis Courts are would be a nice place. You could also play tennis or badminton there. The Ren-Cen level where the health club used to be has an outdoor area. Also, years back, I had a pretty nice outdoor reception for some clients at Cobo on the unused Helipad [[Beware, there are probably a lot of weeds there by now). Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

The Scarab Club!

Chandler Park Aquatic Center

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks to all those that already replied!

Some specifics; roughly fifty people, something outdoors would be preferable. The event will probably be catered, but doesn't have to be.

Detroit Dad - go to the Scarab Club website...all the info you need is there. There is a slideshow under "Gallery" alot of nice shots of the Garden.

Where is the office? Where do most of the people live? How far do they want to drive [[or not)? Does it have to be in town?

My initial thoughts [[if they had to be indoors) would've been the Cadieux Cafe. They can easily accommodate 50+ folks and your company can try out feather bowling. And my other thought was to go play bocce at:

http://www.palazzodibocce.com/

I thought that these two activities would be something to try out other than just showing up at a nice park with food. Another activity I thought about would possibly to take a boat cruise on the Detroit River via:

http://www.detroitprincess.com/

And again, kudos to you guys for taking care of the employees like this. Very nice gesture on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Thanks to all those that already replied!

Some specifics; roughly fifty people, something outdoors would be preferable. The event will probably be catered, but doesn't have to be.

FYI, Not unless they've changed policy, Chandler Aquatic Center does not allow food to be brought in from the outside. They do have a snack bar for guests. I set up field trips for a camp and this was the rule. You can use Chandler Park itself for your picnic though. For the Aquatic Center you'll need to make reservations and get the group rates.

Detroit Yacht Club

In Oakland County, Addison Oaks has a catered facility in a old mansion. But it also has sheltered facilities on a picturesqe lake. 10 miles North of Rochester.