Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default You make the call

Last edited by Maof; June-03-10 at 05:08 AM.

The ump should be fired for failing to do his job as most working class stiffs would have been if they screwed up at their job.

As a Tigers fan, of coarse, I think he should be shot for his fuck up, do you really think the Yankee's would have had the call go this way?
    Last edited by Detroitej72; June-02-10 at 09:22 PM.

What a shame for the record books, but Galarraga knows he should be there and hopefully this will keep him out there trying to do it again.

Blown Call..He will live with that for the rest of his life...Jim Joyce was crying after the game..Still no Justice

We just saw a perfect game ... a 28-out perfect game.

Quote Originally Posted by qweek View Post
    It was a perfect game + one!

That wasn't just a perfect game; it was a perfect robbery!

Hall of Fame and Baseball will say what they have to say, but we will always know it was a perfect game.

Except for the first base umpire.

Only in Detroit can we get a "five game sweep" and a perfect 28 up, 28 down game.

New slogan, "Baseball is a game of yards."
    Attachment 6302

Now that I am done eating I can watch it again, Only to shake my head again.

Galarraga was very classy afterwards. So was Joyce, who apologized directly to him.

Rather than rehash ugly and angry emotions at a guy who in his heart of hearts thought he made the right call, I sincerely hope that this incident kicks MLB's butt into gear and institute instant replay. MLB has within itself to get off of their arrogant high horse and install instant replays just like every other major sport. The NFL does it and even involves the coaches. In the NBA, referees confer and use the video monitors constantly- often adding things such as tenths of a second onto a game clock. In the NHL, we're often shuttled to the War Room in Toronto to make the correct calls. MLB cannot be as so stupid and continually arrogant to maintain this record of where the officiating costs a player a valued moment in history. Officiating should be invisible and not cost the outcome of a game. Let the players, through their efforts determine their outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Rather than rehash ugly and angry emotions at a guy who in his heart of hearts thought he made the right call, I sincerely hope that this incident kicks MLB's butt into gear and institute instant replay. MLB has within itself to get off of their arrogant high horse and install instant replays just like every other major sport. The NFL does it and even involves the coaches. In the NBA, referees confer and use the video monitors constantly- often adding things such as tenths of a second onto a game clock. In the NHL, we're often shuttled to the War Room in Toronto to make the correct calls. MLB cannot be as so stupid and continually arrogant to maintain this record of where the officiating costs a player a valued moment in history. Officiating should be invisible and not cost the outcome of a game. Let the players, through their efforts determine their outcomes.
    I totally agree with everything you said, but for some reason I think baseball should stay away from replay. I think baseball has a pureness that the other sports don't. No clock, no horns or buzzers, no whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I totally agree with everything you said, but for some reason I think baseball should stay away from replay. I think baseball has a pureness that the other sports don't. No clock, no horns or buzzers, no whistles.
    That "pureness" just cost our journeyman pitcher a rightful place in the history books too.

I also love the fact that baseball is not a game based upon a time constraint. I love the history and allure of the game too, but it should also be about the players playing the game- and not some gimmick or horrific lapse in judgement. A person made a wrong call tonight; another person [[Commissioner Bud Selig) has the authority to make sure that the purity and intent of the game can stay intact by instilling the constructs to do so. Having instant replay does not alter baseball's intent or uniqueness any more than the introduction of the eye black.

If you truly want to instill the human element in the game, do it like football where you allow so many challenges by either team; involve the teams coaches & managers. Or better yet, let the officiating crew make the call- and not just one person as in the case tonight. If used judiciously and with some forethought, it can be done. Replay is already used with homerun calls without any controversy.

If anything, having the use of technology enhances the game and let's the true spirit & amazing talent of the game shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Baseball might be pure but it isn't perfect. Last night was a tragedy because the umpire, Jim Joyce didn't realize the significance of 27 up, 27 down. Joyce needed to understand the importance of that final out. They didn't need replay because Joyce could have and should have called for the three other umpires to discuss if they had a view of the play that could call in question his decision to declare the runner safe. If not Joyce then another umpire should have said whoa.... we may have an issue. This was history on the line and the umpires should have been mindful of the event instead of staying silent.

I was there. When the umpires went in the tunnel to go to their room, people where literally throwing stuff at them and screaming at them as they left.

Armando took it very well, and the kid does deserve a perfect game!

That's a shame, and though it's nice he got an apology, it would be better if they could somehow give Galarraga the credit he deserves, anyway.

I'm kind of tripping right now, because pretty much at the time this happened, I was getting the Tigers D tattooed on my ankle. It's my 10th tat, and I have various reasons for it, despite not being much for sports. I only visited Detroit once, but it made that big of an impression on me. Call me crazy [[I expect someone will), but I'd thought about it for quite a while, and something told me to go ahead yesterday evening. Even stranger, I saw two people in Tigers jerseys today, though the Mariners were playing the Twins here. Maybe they were protesting the call?

It's my 10th tat

Sounds like not all the bad decisions weren't made by Jim Joyce.

Umps call out the guy at second on a double play all the time even though the shortstop or second baseman will come across the bag with his foot not actually on the bag.Its an old optical illusion that goes back 100 years,sort of a unspoken part of the game.Watch in slo-mo next time this happens and its a close play or the double play is turned really fast.As the game is played by faster bigger men,the rules need some tweaking.This said,he was out.The ump showed alot of class by admitting his mistake,but he was out.

You can't reverse a judgement call, and that was a judgement call. Mariners won last night on a blown call at 2nd in the 10th, too.

I feel sorry for Galarraga and Joyce, who admited almost immediately to Leyland that he'd blown it. Admited it in public, too. And Galarraga's handling of the whole thing was class.

Wrong forum gang
    And a lousy thread title with no hint of the subject matter.

Since I've read this thread all the way through, my two-cents worth is that maybe this high profile blown call will finally shame Bud Selig, the umpires and their union into accepting the use of the already-installed technology [[Pitch-f/x and video replay recordings) to make the calling of pitches and plays more consistent and fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    this is more than just a sports issue.

No. It isn't.

Yes it is. Now go away, you complain, yet continue to "waste your time" by reading and responding to this thread.

Why do people drop in to whine about a thread, just leave it alone. Thats why this site has been so lousy the last year or so.
    To me this is the Detroit story of the day, why cant we talk about it here.
    I feel sorry for all involved, the pitcher who missed out and the Ump that blew the call. We are all human.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Wrong forum gang. If this had been in Sports, I would have known better than to waste my time opening it.
    but you did

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast