Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Urban Farming: Fiction, Fable and the Facts 06/17 @MOCAD

I thought it might be nice to pass this event on to those interested in Urban gardening. As a bonus for all you DYESers, please note that Georgia Street Garden's Mark Covington will be featured at this panel.

from
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=128580287168106&ref=mf

"Thurs. June 17th at 7PM: MOCAD and The Detroit Agriculture Network present Urban Farming: Fiction, Fable and the Facts

An incisive discussion, on what has become a super-charged, hot-button issue, which seeks to dig up some of the facts buried beneath the romantic fictions surrounding the controversial and trendy topic of Urban Farming. The discussion will feature the expert and active voices of participants culled from within the city's many, vital community gardening initiatives, including Greg Willerer [[Brother Nature), Patrick Crouch [[Earthworks), Mark Covington [[Georgia Street Garden), Ashley Atkinson [[Greening of Detroit / Garden Resource Program) and additional special guests."

Damn, I'll be up in Duluth for a marathon that weekend...can we reschedule it a week earlier? lol

What is odd to me, is how this has become a "hot button issue".

In my tiny little yard, I grow 5 kinds of tomatoes, peas, snow peas, beans, radishes, zucchini, cucumbers, onions, a variety of lettuces, spinach, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, a dozen different herbs, as well as many varieties of flowers instead of grass.

To me this is a perfectly natural way to live, I can't wait to bite into one of my sun-drenched Brandywine tomatoes, but I'll enjoy the stir-fry tonight with the snow peas I grew on the three inches of soil between the driveway and fence.