Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: burger chef

Default burger chef

i just moved to corktown last fall [[previously in the new center) and i can't tell you how much strange stuff i find burried in my garden!

while preparing for spring planting, i was turning over some dirt and found an old "Fun Money" coin from Burger Chef:

i also found about a third of a record, i think it was one of these:
    http://www.thebawdycloister.com/reli...r-fun-rec.html

Burger Chef Restaurants are way before my time. Anyone know anything about them? Were there any Detroit locations?

EastSider Guest

Maybe you can read some stuff on that interwebs link you posted. Or use the google.

That would be from the 70's. Here's a blog post all about Burger Chef and Fangburger
    http://wafflewhiffer.blogspot.com/20...angburger.html

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    That would be from the 70's. Here's a blog post all about Burger Chef and Fangburger
    http://wafflewhiffer.blogspot.com/20...angburger.html
    My mom use to work at Burger Chef when she was young.. I know that isn't helpful information but whatever.

I remember Burger Chef was one of the original places, if not the original, to have a salad bar. Customers were able to load up their burgers themselves at there. A lot of Burger Chefs were converted into Hardee's. There was a Burger Chef downtown on Griswold in the building that is right next to the Dime Building and across from the Kennedy Square Garage [[Ernst & Young Bldg). It was the only fast food restaurant I had been in that had two floors.

I think Burger Chef had the original double-stack burger that McDonalds later copied as the Big Mac. It may have been Red Barn, not Burger Chef though.

There is a Wendy's on the NB Lodge service drive at 10 mile near Channel 7. It was a Hardee's and before that I think it was Burger Chef. My dad said there was one on Grand River by Northwestern High School that also became Hardee's. The Hardee's on Coolidge near 12 mile may have been Burger Chef.

I would lay pretty good odds that you'll learn everything you want to know about Burger Chef before the weekend. The joys of DetroitYes.

I had some birthdays there as a kid, outside of Pittsburgh. Loved it.

You can buy new Burger Chef t-shirts:

http://www.facebook.com/burgerchefandjeff?ref=ts

didn't Hardee's buy out the Burger Chef chain? or did roy roger's buy out both and shut down the burger chef?

remember lums and those deep fried bacon & cheese hot dogs?

The last Burger Chef closed in 1996: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Chef

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    didn't Hardee's buy out the Burger Chef chain? or did roy roger's buy out both and shut down the burger chef?

Hardee's bought out Burger Chef and I think Roy Rodgers. Roy Rodgers was then spit back out. There are a few Roy Rodgers left, including one in Cincy and some on the PA turnpike. They and Hardees have both taken a turn towards quality the last few years. The Hardees in Hazel Park was originally a Burger Chef, according to a manager there. It was something else for a while before becoming a Hardees again about 5 years ago....

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Maybe you can read some stuff on that interwebs link you posted. Or use the google.
    What a complete waste of a post.

I remember the Burger Chef at 7 Mile and Mack, I remember the store was then changed to a Hardees, which was eventually sold to Wendys and Tim Hortons.

Unfortunatly Burger Chef closed when I was too young to really appreciate it. But I do remember a few times when we went and the food was excellent. Never really cared for Hardees, except when they had that promotion where they where giving away the key chains that played the Ghost Buster sound effects.

My first full time job [[June 1969) was working for a Burger Chef in DeLand Florida. $1.60 an hour. $59 a week clear, $64 a week gross. Had more money left over than I do now a days. House payment was $69 a month. Dam if those wern't the days

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Hardee's bought out Burger Chef and I think Roy Rodgers.

They and Hardees have both taken a turn towards quality the last few years.
    BC was cool. Better than either McDs or BK at the time.

Don't know about quality, but Hardleys has definitely gone up the price scale. Last time I stopped in to one, most of the burgers were in the $5 range. If I'm going to pay that, I'd better be sitting in a bar/lounge/restaurant with waitresses in mini skirts serving beers.

Wow that brought back memories. In the early 80's there was one in the Maccabee [[sp?) building [[old previous DPS corporate office on Woodward with the WDET radio sign and antenna, now a WSU building). Going there was a big treat! Anyone else recall that?
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    I remember Burger Chef was one of the original places, if not the original, to have a salad bar. Customers were able to load up their burgers themselves at there. A lot of Burger Chefs were converted into Hardee's. There was a Burger Chef downtown on Griswold in the building that is right next to the Dime Building and across from the Kennedy Square Garage [[Ernst & Young Bldg). It was the only fast food restaurant I had been in that had two floors.

The only Burger Chef in the area that I recall was in Wayne on Michigan Ave.
    Looks like there is a coney island on the spot now.

There was a Burger Chef not to far from where I grew up in an area that is now Waterford Twp. It closed in the late 70s & became an independent diner that is still open. I wasn't aware that Hardee's had taken over a bunch of them, but from the posts here, it seems most met their demise in the late 70s. I remember their characters being Burger Chef & Jeff.

The Big Chef was their signature burger.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

Jesus. How did our generation even survive?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    My mom use to work at Burger Chef when she was young.. I know that isn't helpful information but whatever.
    That's awesome!! Thanks for the laugh.

Growing up in the 70's Burger Chef is a great memory as well as Red Barns. My dad owned family restaurants like the old Palaces, The Village Place, Red Apple, etc... Burger Chef was a treat.... lol

Joy rd. East of Middlebelt was another one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast