Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where are the best estate sales?

It's that time of year!!! Time to dig through other people's stuff and find treasures to take home and add to your own collection of stuff!!

So - where do folks think the best estate sales can be found? I once went to a massive sale in a huge three level home in Dearborn and spent three hours digging through decades of awesome stuff going back to the 20's. My friend and I had a blast!!!! And went home with a loaded up Jeep full of great deals and fun new stuff for our own collections.

What are some of your best finds ever around the Detroit area?

Some of the best I've been to have been in Grosse Pointe, including a woman who had traveled the world and had a huge house, of course.

Try estatesales.net and pick the area you are interested in. They usually post pictures too. Nice site.

I have to second the Grosse Pointes. Lots of worldy treasures not found elsewhere in the metro area. The GP folks sure do get around the globe. At least, they used to.

Where dead people used to live.

Never know what you're gonna find, or where. I've been doing antiques for 35 yrs., and I've found stuff at the most unlikely places.

Atlas Twp. think it's Genessee Co. Walked into a barn loft and came across a Duncan Phyffe sideboard that'd sat up there for at least 30-35 yrs. I don't mean Phyffe style, I mean Phyffe.

Wish I could to that 2-3 times a year.

The Grosse Pointes, no question - they are also the best for garage sales. I can't tell you how many amazing finds I have gotten from going to sales there for cheap- people travel and amass fantastic collections that their children don't want to deal with. And if for nothing else, it is fun to go through the big old houses.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Where dead people used to live.
    I Love it!

My 'Wife" got me going to them things. I have got alot of useful things at them sales.Somethings I got real lucky on such as the DPS directory I got for less then a 50 cent piece in East Dearborn.I like them deals. But after watching that show American Pickers, I get their deal too.
    I shoulda bought more stuff at the last one I was at.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Never know what you're gonna find, or where. I've been doing antiques for 35 yrs., and I've found stuff at the most unlikely places.

Atlas Twp. think it's Genessee Co. Walked into a barn loft and came across a Duncan Phyffe sideboard that'd sat up there for at least 30-35 yrs. I don't mean Phyffe style, I mean Phyffe.

Wish I could to that 2-3 times a year.
    Wow - what a find!!! That is the sort of thing that really gets you addicted.

I hope to do some estate sale shopping this summer - but the trick getting a Thursday/Friday off work to hit the first day of a lot of sales since they seem to start on Thursday/Friday.

I've never really paid a lot of attention to the Pointes, I look mostly in Royal Oak area, so I'll have to widen my horizons this year!

Detroit - Boston - Edison
    Hands down - I still dream about the Feinberg estate sale. He died in 1988. They had the sale in 2002/3.

Charles E. Feinberg, a book and manuscript collector who specialized in the works of Walt Whitman, died Tuesday of heart failure at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Miami. He was 88 years old and maintained residences in Detroit and Florida.
    Mr. Feinberg, who prospered as a fuel-oil distributor in Detroit, began his Whitman collection in 1919 and continued to add many letters, manuscripts and books. He frequently lectured on Whitman at universities around the country. Mr. Feinberg, an honorary vice president of the American Friends of Hebrew University for 30 years, received the S. Y. Agnon Gold Medal this year for intellectual achievement from Hebrew University.
    He is survived by his wife, Lenore, of Detroit; a son, Bartley, of Las Vegas, and two daughters, Judith Kuehne, of London, and Suzanne Ness, of Jerusalem.

... and you went to the sale and there was nothing but readers digest novels ... appropriately chopped up for modern digestion. ;-)