Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Restaurants on the water

Since we were talking about Portofino's in another thread, I was just wondering what other water-front restaurants DetroitYes readers liked.

I've been going to Sinbads for over 30 years and I used to be a fan of Brownies, but what other places do you think the view is great and the food is too?

We used to go to the St. Clair Inn, but the last time I was there, I was disappointed [[it was quite a while ago) This past weekend we were at the Zuckey Lake Tavern [[Pinckney) which was OK, but I still haven't found THE place [[at least in the Detroit/Metro area).

Any suggestions?

It's always been my experience, if a restaurant is associated with some sort of novelty, whether it be a landmark, or it's on the water or something, the food is rarely up to par. Generally, the best places to eat have very little going for them other than the food. The best on the water restaurant I ever found was Duffy's at Amherstburg. Not great, but stisfactory, good atmosphere.

We stop at the Trempeleau Hotel once or twice a year for a beer and something to eat. In the summer, is is cooled by a bank of windows facing the Mississippi River. The Trempeleau offers a lesson on how we used to keep cool before air-conditioning. Ivy covers it's south side windows.

I really miss Henry's in Algonac. The building has a perfect view, and last time we went by there, it's empty.

Gazhekwe: It's funny that you should mention Henry's. It was one of my parents favorite places. I can remember going there as a very little girl. Haven't thought about that place in years. I remember it was close to Harsen's Island, wasn't it? I recall taking the ferry over to the Island.

Yes, a little past the Harsen's Ferry just where the road curves to go up the river. It was one of our favorites, too.