Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default New 50 unit development @ Cass & Canfield

Two things that stand out on this announcement...

1) the Roxbury Group are the folks that paid to have the Book Cadillac parking structure enhanced so that they could build 78 luxury condos on top... of course that didn't happen due to the economy going into the toilet.

2) first time I've heard of the Ford Foundation committing any money to ANYTHING in Detroit in recent years.

2) first time I've heard of the Ford Foundation committing any money to ANYTHING in Detroit in recent years.
    Mike Cox shook some money out of them.

This is great news for WSU students and twentysomething professionals! It is a great area and the price is lower than university student housing in the area.

My only quibble is that there are buildings in the neighborhood that could be rehabbed instead... but I know some people prefer new construction.

My only complaint with this development is that it is at only 3 stories. Don't get me wrong, it is a great infill development and it looks like it is designed well, but its location is right next to the taller University Towers. I wish for better consistency in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    My only complaint with this development is that it is at only 3 stories. Don't get me wrong, it is a great infill development and it looks like it is designed well, but its location is right next to the taller University Towers. I wish for better consistency in the future.
    I am with you for the most part, but at least they are using all of the land. We would all like to see things build up, but there isn't much of a financial case for them to build up, as costs go up exponentially, considering part of the project is relient on grants. I will take whatever we can get.

Give me a break. I don't think this is a concern at all. Most of the other buildings in the area are 2-4 stories. It's University Tower, sitting in its sea of parking and setback from the road, that is out of place.

At the very least, this may mean that the affects of the Recession are being reversed, at least in Midtown. This might be the first of many similar developments, and I sure hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Give me a break. I don't think this is a concern at all. Most of the other buildings in the area are 2-4 stories. It's University Tower, sitting in its sea of parking and setback from the road, that is out of place.

At the very least, this may mean that the affects of the Recession are being reversed, at least in Midtown. This might be the first of many similar developments, and I sure hope so!
    This development is exactly what Detroit needs. AFFORDABLE housing, young people can't afford anything else, and considering that is what most of Midtown's population is, it is perfect. It would be nice if there were more of this closer to downtown. The lack of this is a big reason there aren't many people downtown or in Midtown. $1000 per month in rent is hardly affordable for someone making 40-50k per year. It seems that is the going rate for housing too, and it just isn't realistic in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    This development is exactly what Detroit needs. AFFORDABLE housing, young people can't afford anything else, and considering that is what most of Midtown's population is, it is perfect. It would be nice if there were more of this closer to downtown. The lack of this is a big reason there aren't many people downtown or in Midtown. $1000 per month in rent is hardly affordable for someone making 40-50k per year. It seems that is the going rate for housing too, and it just isn't realistic in this market.
    Exactly. I think Midtown is close to the peak for how many young people it can house without building new or additional rehabs. The luxury apartments and condos don't count because most young people can't afford them. It is very exciting to hear about new construction. And I'm sure this won't be the last announcement. There should be many more to come soon.

But perhaps the most exciting thing is not so much the housing as it is the retail. I've been thinking this for awhile now, but Cass Ave and Canfield Ave are basically positioning themselves as the main shopping areas in Midtown. Especially with the Midtown loop which will come online around the same time this building is completed. I imagine every lot filled with buildings and dozens of stores lining the streets, and hundreds of pedestrians strolling around the loop, casually shopping on a sunny afternoon.

YAY! Keep on developing Cass Corridor.

http://maps.google.com/

What costs $1000/month to rent in Detroit?

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    kales building second floor

and someone better tell the developer that making announcements in model D is usually the first step towards either not even putting a shovel in the ground or defaulting!

My comment was more focused at downtown. Midtown is a bit less but still too much for most.

My comment was more focused at downtown. Midtown is a bit less but still too much for most.
    In general, [[in the luxury range) you'll find condos in Midtown and apartments Downtown. But you can still find luxury apartments in Midtown. Most of them are rented condo units, such as in the Park Shelton building, where 1 bedrooms easily go for $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Exactly. I think Midtown is close to the peak for how many young people it can house without building new or additional rehabs. The luxury apartments and condos don't count because most young people can't afford them. It is very exciting to hear about new construction. And I'm sure this won't be the last announcement. There should be many more to come soon.

But perhaps the most exciting thing is not so much the housing as it is the retail. I've been thinking this for awhile now, but Cass Ave and Canfield Ave are basically positioning themselves as the main shopping areas in Midtown. Especially with the Midtown loop which will come online around the same time this building is completed. I imagine every lot filled with buildings and dozens of stores lining the streets, and hundreds of pedestrians strolling around the loop, casually shopping on a sunny afternoon.
    Hundreds of pedestrians on a sunny afternoon, lol.
    You must only smoke the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Hundreds of pedestrians on a sunny afternoon, lol.
    You must only smoke the best of the best.
    You're just jaded so you don't think its possible. At this decades end I am willing to bet the Midtown loop and the blocks around it, and the areas around the light-rail stations, assuming they will be built, will be bustling with people. Suburban Malls have hundreds if not thousands of people inside of them at one time. What is so far fetched about lots of foot traffic at Cass and Canfield? There is already a decent amount, and much growth in recent years. I think the idea behind the Midtown loop is to replicate the success of the Riverwalk -- make it clean, inviting, safe, and well lighted. It also connects some sort of destination, the Riverwalk's destination is the river itself. But the Midtown Loops destination is Museums, Theatres, Restaurants, and very soon... shopping.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    . you can still find luxury apartments in Midtown. .
    sorry Ma, I found the above quote to be the "sir smokes a lot" line of the day

Michigan Guest

I agree with Danny- Keep developing Cass Corridor!

There are hundreds of people on the streets there in good weather. We need more developments like this to bring in people who want to spend money in the neighborhood. Too many of the people there now are just looking to take advantage of the seedier side of the Cass reputation- one that is not deserved!!!!

DetroitDad Guest

Anything halfway decent in the better areas. Basically Studio One, MidMed Lofts, Garfield Lofts, and countless other newer buildings. I am having a real hard time finding anything that is in my price range [[$700-$800) that is affordable and comparable to the quality in our inner suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Anything halfway decent in the better areas. Basically Studio One, MidMed Lofts, Garfield Lofts, and countless other newer buildings. I am having a real hard time finding anything that is in my price range [[$700-$800) that is affordable and comparable to the quality in our inner suburbs.
    Co-signing with you, DetroitDad. I don't get why WSU/Midtown's prices have gone through the roof during a recession.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Co-signing with you, DetroitDad. I don't get why WSU/Midtown's prices have gone through the roof during a recession.
    Well if they have risen dramatically, then isn't that a good sign that demand is rising fast?

I am not saying this is the definitely the explanation here, but the decline of the housing market actually could have made the cost rentals go up because of increased rental demand [[fewer homeowners than before so more renters) while the supply of rentals may have remained relatively stagnant supply.

I'd be more bent out of shape about the massive setback in front of the [[out of scale and Southfield-Town-Center-Ugly) University Towers but suum cuique.

This is the lot that is fenced off with the radio tower correct? I lived in the fraternity house across the street from this for a few years and back then it was a horrible area that was the edge between relative safe and dangerous.

I'd like to see this project prepped to handle up to 3 more floors if future developments warrant it. If not, it will still be a welcome addition to the community.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast