Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Who can help me? or give me any suggestions?

I am a Chinese and I will go to Kettering University for further study this summer. It is entirely strange for me about Kettering and Detroit, so I hope I can know more information about the living and studying. Furthermore, I like make friends and communicate with them, so if anyone is interesting in Chinese culture or diet, I am very glad to introduce to you. Expect your replying. [[Dylan.zhong@hotmail.com)

Isn't Kettering in Flint?

Yes.But I will go to Detrort,too

Welcome! When will you be here?

I will be Detroit in early July.

So, are you looking for a place to stay while you're here in Detroit? Places to go, places to study that are not at Kettering? Is there a Kettering location here in Detroit? I could only find the Flint campus?
    Last edited by gazhekwe; June-01-10 at 10:31 AM.

I don't konw the plan about my further study in USA,yet. Because I must stay in Kettering or Detroit for some time, so I want to learn about more information and hope make friends in the local.

Because of the time difference, just send me e-mails, I thank for everyone's replying and I hope communicate with you.

What time is it where you are now? That will be some jet lag!

It is 23:54 now and I have to go to bed because. Tomorrow morning, after 7 hours later, I will be online again.

Welcome to the Forum and Detroit / Flint. This thread has been moved to Discuss Detroit for better visibility.

I'm fairly certain all Kettering programs do a every other semester work co-op or internship.

Michigan Guest

What are your interests? What would you be looking to do during your stay in Detroit?

I would be very interested in learning Chinese and about the Chinese culture. Feel free to private message me.

In my spare time, I like playing basketball and travlling. I am working for a automobile company, so I 'd like to know about the culture of auto when I am in the USA and Detroit. Of course, travlling in the USA is my dream, too.

Toesignerguy24,did you receive my message? I don't know how to orperate.

I know there seems to be a thriving Chinese population over in Windsor, Ontario- just across the border here. I don't know if that will help you out or not but I've seen a few Chinese Associations over there that might be able to help get you familiar with the area. I also know there is some of the best dim sum in the Detroit area over in Windsor as well as a variety of Chinese grocery stores. I don't know if your passport/ visa can get you over to Canada but they seem to have a larger community there than here of Chinese folks. It might also help if you speak Cantonese [[that's what I'm told most of the Chinese people in Windsor are) or can write somewhat fluently.

Good luck in the area and welcome!

When I arrive at Detroit, I think the first proplem is the diet. In China, rice, meat[[mainly pork and chicken) and vegetable[[always cooked) are the most familiar food in every meal, but in America, what is the normal food in every day? in breakfast,in lunch and in supper.I worry about my adaptability on diet.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan.zhong View Post
    When I arrive at Detroit, I think the first proplem is the diet. In China, rice, meat[[mainly pork and chicken) and vegetable[[always cooked) are the most familiar food in every meal, but in America, what is the normal food in every day? in breakfast,in lunch and in supper.I worry about my adaptability on diet.
    In my meager estimation there really isn't a set or regional food here. In our household here we've been known to make our versions of Polish, Japanese, Indian, German, Chinese, Italian, Lebanese, Mexican or anything else we set our minds to. They're probably no where near authentic, but we have choices here as far as cuisine. I think that we're pretty adventurous in trying things. We'll try different breads, soups, grains, fruits, vegetables, seafood, and meats.

I also know there also seem to be some other Asian markets off of John R, just south of 14 Mile that you might be able to find food that you feel more comfortable with or reminds you of home. Ask the merchants there; I'm sure they know of other places in the area or pick up their newspapers there if they have one.

But I would also highly suggest that since you're here- try different things. Expand your palette. Be brave and just try different things. If you go out to eat, ask the waitstaff what's popular and take a chance with it.

When I'm in a foreign country, I'm always willing to try their regional food at least once. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised and sometimes I realize that it's not for my Americanized palette, but I can still say I tried it once. Who knows? There might be some American cuisine that you'll fall in love with here during your stay.

There are quite a few Chinese and Vietnamese establishments on John R between 11 Mile Road and 14 Mile Road to include grocery stores and bakeries.

Default Thank for your suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    In my meager estimation there really isn't a set or regional food here. In our household here we've been known to make our versions of Polish, Japanese, Indian, German, Chinese, Italian, Lebanese, Mexican or anything else we set our minds to. They're probably no where near authentic, but we have choices here as far as cuisine. I think that we're pretty adventurous in trying things. We'll try different breads, soups, grains, fruits, vegetables, seafood, and meats.

I also know there also seem to be some other Asian markets off of John R, just south of 14 Mile that you might be able to find food that you feel more comfortable with or reminds you of home. Ask the merchants there; I'm sure they know of other places in the area or pick up their newspapers there if they have one.

But I would also highly suggest that since you're here- try different things. Expand your palette. Be brave and just try different things. If you go out to eat, ask the waitstaff what's popular and take a chance with it.

When I'm in a foreign country, I'm always willing to try their regional food at least once. Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised and sometimes I realize that it's not for my Americanized palette, but I can still say I tried it once. Who knows? There might be some American cuisine that you'll fall in love with here during your stay.

In spite of the worrying for diet, I will follow your suggestions and try to adjust the lorcal lifestyle. As you said, maybe I will fall in love with here.
    By the way, what is the weather from July to October?And anybody can send me some photos about Detroit and Flint.?I have never been there, so I am very curioursly.

Doesn't the school have some kind of exchange student coordinator who can help you?

If you have cooking facilities, you should have no trouble getting rice, fresh vegetables and meat to make your own stir fries [[that's what we call it when you quickly fry things in a tiny bit of oil and maybe make a little sauce out of the pan drippings by adding a little hot water, then serving it over a bowl of rice. That should help you out if you are having trouble adjusting to the higher fat, higher salt and huge portions of the American food.

The weather here could be anywhere from 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 100 in the time period. It cools off from the middle of August through October, and might even snow in October, but only a little and it will quickly melt and warm up. 50s-60s F is common in October.

What is the weather like where you are?

Pam, always the voice of reason

Michigan Guest

Eastern market will have plenty of fresh food for him. Stay away from most of those little stores, you may get ripped off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast