Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kwame has new attorney

From WXYZ:
    Kwame Kilpatrick Gets New Attorney

FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. [[WXYZ) - Attorney Arnold Reed will take over the role as lead counsel for former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Kilpatrick's previous lawyers, Michael Alan Schwartz and Daniel Hajii, both stepped down after the former mayor was sentenced to up to five years in prison for violating the terms of his parole.

Kilpatrick plans to appeal.

Reed will formally announce his representation of Kwame Kilpatrick at a press conference tomorrow

http://www.arnoldreed.com/
    Wow this attorney can't be cheap. Or is he going to do this for $1.00 like PR guy Mike Paul.

Might be doing it mainly for the publicity.

3. Default

Agree with Ray. Look what Kervorkian did for Feiger's visibility and career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agree with Ray. Look what Kervorkian did for Feiger's visibility and career.
    Kervorkian... I wonder if the former mayor is looking for a new physician.

Default Kwame has new attorney

In an exclusive interview earlier this month with the Dallas Morning News, Kilpatrick said: "The city has not been allowed to move forward, and the city has not been allowed to heal." He added, "And I think more than anything, it's time for everyone to move on."

So much for that.

Did anyone actually believe the circus had finally left town? With this new ambulance chaser on the case? Not likely.

But, on the positive side, next time anyone needs a lecture on the "Forth" Amendment we know who to call.

Only question: who the hell's Delano Boatwright?

Well someone had to represent Kwame.

The question is who is paying for this attorney?

Kwame's so toxic I don't know who would want to touch him.

I'm sure there are a bunch of public defenders breathing a sigh of relief knowing Arnold Reed's going to step in.

Why this guy would do so is still beyond me. I can sort of see why Fieger jumped aboard defending Jack Kevorkian. Dr. Kevorkian's work might be controversial but strikes home with people and some of us can actually sympathize with the work that he did. Outside of a few dedicated Kwame supporters, how many of us can even relate to Kwame or sympathize with him or what he did to the City? It's one thing to defend someone or a cause that has some sentiment, but at the very best that I can see Mr. Reed doing is lightening the sentence for Kwame- from years to months.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    The question is who is paying for this attorney?
    And why aren't they paying the restitution instead?

P.T. Barnum was right.....

Delano Boatwright vs. Coca Cola Enterprises with Reed as Boatwright's attorney listed on Oakland County Court search, 2002 -2003, ending with a dismissal. About what? Does that mean there was a settlement out of court?

For that matter, who the fark is Wendy Clem?

Detroit has That Was the Week That Was multiplied [[Part 2 of 4 in current events)
    May 31, 11:00 PMDetroit City Buzz Examiner Wendy Clem

Wayne County Judge David Groner gave the public a vote of confidence with his verdicts against KK.
    Detroit News

When he returned to the Detroit court last week, Kwame Kilpatrick was sentenced by Wayne County Judge David Groner to one-and-a-half to five years in prison, including credit for time served last year. His attorney, Michael Schwartz, repeatedly appeared, vowing to appeal, making all sorts of "deeply disappointed" statements about the judge's actions.

Perhaps the most telling statement was Schwartz's uncertainty as to how his client would now repay the remaining $860,000 KK owes the city.

Or, pay his attorneys, apparently.

Within 24 hours, Schwartz unexpectedly resigned as KK's attorney, claiming he received a career-changing phone call from a Southfield-based religious broadcaster, The Word Network, offering a new job.

Stating that he was "not resigning" per se, Schwartz said, "I'm at least in spirit with Mr. Kilpatrick. I feel he has been wronged."

Schwartz planned to meet with KK by the weekend at the latest, offering help to locate a new attorney who can file KK's appeal within the remainder of the 42 days that began on Tuesday.

"I am sure there will be an appeal. I'm sure Mr. Kilpatrick will have counsel to represent him," he added.
    Schwartz begins June 1 as general legal counsel for the Urban Religious Channel, a broadcaster of African-American religious content and gospel music.

He maintains that Groner's latest sentence exceeds a zero-to-17 month state Department of Corrections suggestion. Some legal experts also weighed in, saying a case review is probable, in spite of numerous potential objections having already been rejected in previous appeals.

Dured Daniel Hajji, Schwartz's co-counsel on the KK case, also said he planned to meet with his client soon, but within the following day of Schwartz's disappearance, resigned as well.

Meanwhile, KK's employer, Covisint - a division of Detroit's Compuware Corp. - announced that it was firing him by the end of May, claiming it had "no choice." Part of the bounty the Kilpatricks hid from the court and for which KK is now incarcerated was $240,000 in "loans" from area businessmen, including the Compuware Chairman of the Board and CEO, Peter Karmanos, Jr.

Although experts say he could remain behind bars until Jan. 24, 2015, KK might be released as early as July 24, 2011. That sentence is dependent on his behavior while incarcerated, among other details, say experts. If he fails to win parole because of behavior or other problems while in prison, Kilpatrick could remain behind bars until Jan. 24, 2015.

Today's news reports a new attorney on the scene: Arnold Reed. A website for an attorney named Arnold Reed lists innumerable million-dollar winnings, well-known political connections and has the following client testimonial about him:

"In a street fight between Attorney Reed and Godzilla, I would have to go with Godzilla. But in a courtroom, God help Godzilla." - Delano Boatwright - Royal Oak, MI

Alrighty, then. Sounds like some masterful smoke and mirror shows on the horizon; popcorn optional.

But on the public's behalf, we already have KK's number, which was assigned in 2008. It's prisoner number 702408.

Don't miss Part 1 of this 4-part article in this current events series, That Was the Week That Was.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...current-events

Check out the picture: http://www.arnoldreed.com/

Dude's a Kwame' clone.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Dude's a Kwame' clone.
    You're correct. He is a big black guy.

Do you also find him to be scary, or intimidating?

I wonder what kind of success rate he has with the various appeals judges, combinations of them?

He probably waves that association with Archer around often.

I don't care if all he's done is protect and defend grandmothers...with THIS choice, he is damned to celebrity trivia hell.

Question: Who was the LAST attorney to willingly represent the Hip Hop ex-mayor of Detroit before Kwhyme's stalled Titanic-proportioned ass was hit BY the iceberg of Federal Prosecution?

Answer: Arnold Reed. It was the last anyone ever heard of him!

Did you folks notice that Reed's web site has a folder marked "Store"? It doesn't currently list any items for sale but I wonder what he's going to offer. JUMBO t-shirts that say "King Kwame"? Coffee mugs with KK's mug shot on them? I also noticed that the ordering page is NOT secured. Great way to scam folks' credit cards, etc.

curious.. I hope this doesn't degenerate into another grandstanding saga..

Argh... maybe I am being too critical but the design and content of that website screams flaky and "ambulance" chasing ala yellow pages insert-looking schlock. Ugh! I just had to close it after a few glances and clicks the to varied sections.

Dude's a Kwame' clone.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-02-10 at 03:50 AM.

Yeah that web site telegraphs scam and promises! Perhaps they "buy" link will take you to the ubiquitous "get quick" rich "financial independence" multi-level marketing scam-mola! There'd be no surprise there....
    Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Did you folks notice that Reed's web site has a folder marked "Store"? It doesn't currently list any items for sale but I wonder what he's going to offer. JUMBO t-shirts that say "King Kwame"? Coffee mugs with KK's mug shot on them? I also noticed that the ordering page is NOT secured. Great way to scam folks' credit cards, etc.

Celebrity "trivia" hell. LOL! And yeah were did Arnold Reed get off too?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ....I don't care if all he's done is protect and defend grandmothers...with THIS choice, he is damned to celebrity trivia hell.

Question: Who was the LAST attorney to willingly represent the Hip Hop ex-mayor of Detroit before Kwhyme's stalled Titanic-proportioned ass was hit BY the iceberg of Federal Prosecution?

Answer: Arnold Reed. It was the last anyone ever heard of him!

BECAUSE it's all about keeping the neon lights flashing, full time that KK needs to be defended and his name cleared. He's being rail-roaded don't cha know? And banging the gong on and on is but part of the cry for justification. After all, he only cheated on his wife. Everyone does that. What's the big deal? **I am being sarcastic of course**
    And why aren't they paying the restitution instead?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-01-10 at 04:02 PM.

He might as well have hired Arnold Stang [[of old Chunky commercial fame) for all the good it will do him.

This new lawyer is not in the same league as the others. Not that the other high priced lawyers did Kwame any favors. Let's say the Bernsteins pay 2 million a year for all their ads on the tv stations, [[ they are on many stations out of the Detroit area too) that is a lot of exposure. Reed representing Kwame is getting exposure too, maybe doing Kwame's case for one dollar. One thing Reed needs to learn about the Kwame case is not to make it personal like Schwartz and some of the others did with the judge, Wayne County employees. That is not going to work. I doubt that any judge wants to be known at this point, on any appeal, as the person that let Kwame beat this mess. Kwame is done, no matter. Watch for the feds soon. They know where he is. He can't flee. Watch for income tax issues. Stay tuned.

I for one enjoyed The Reed Report the most: "I forgive all the boards of educations in this country for perpetrating a fraud on our young people under the guise of Education." Now that's what I look for in legal representation!

I am also relieved to see right on the homepage that he is an expert in Sen. Daniel Forth's constitutional amendment. [I realize I'm a stickler for spelling, but come on, this is guy's a lawyer].

And his bio states he is a long-time friend of someone named Tavis Smiley? [[Stop, stop, I know who that is, I just think it's an odd way to make that reference).

This guy clearly had no idea Kwame was coming his way, or he might have invested in a more presentable website. That, or Kwame is out of options.

He probably thinks the site is great! He and KK should make a great team.
    Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    I for one enjoyed The Reed Report the most: "I forgive all the boards of educations in this country for perpetrating a fraud on our young people under the guise of Education." Now that's what I look for in legal representation!

I am also relieved to see right on the homepage that he is an expert in Sen. Daniel Forth's constitutional amendment. [I realize I'm a stickler for spelling, but come on, this is guy's a lawyer].

And his bio states he is a long-time friend of someone named Tavis Smiley? [[Stop, stop, I know who that is, I just think it's an odd way to make that reference).

This guy clearly had no idea Kwame was coming his way, or he might have invested in a more presentable website. That, or Kwame is out of options.