Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Painted Lady Hamtramck

Anybody ever go here? Is it a cool venue? I have a friend from New Jersey and his band is going to play there next month as part of a little tour. He wanted a heads up on the place.

I've been there. It's small, but cool. Several other people think so, too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/painted-lady-lounge-hamtramck

My band has played there. It's decent, although the sound system is just all right. The management is good to work with.

In a former life, the Painted Lady was the famous Lili's 21. It's been cleaned up since then and it's more pleasant inside, although it still is plenty divey.

You will have a good time.

Yeah, the Painted Lady is cool. Eclectic, unusual and weird. Some of the requisite elements of a good dive. If you're lucky, Kevin LaPointe will be bartending. Good kid. Listen to me, Kevin's probably in his 30's, but I call him a kid. Anyway, you'll like the place. Your better - or else!

Used to got to Lilli's when the Trashbrats were headlining. Fun times. Do they still play at all?

Lilli's

Loud music, a pool table, lipstick, and
    fishnets. The proprietor, a leopard print wearing beauty with a laugh
    that forced a smile. The Ghoul looking out at the crowd, Ron Wood
    standing in with the Beatles. Damn, I miss that place!

That was then. I hear Painted Lady, aka "Painted Whore", is OK now...

From a musician's standpoint, I'm not a fan. The people are nice enough, but two of us blew amps the one night we played there because of bad wiring at the venue. Not cool.

Painted Lady is a great place to see a show if there are less than 40-50 people in attendance. Any more than that, and it's a little cramped because the venue is set up long-ways.

The staff is super cool [[so long as you are cool to them), if Beth or George or working even better. Prices are on the cheap side - always a good thing. If you want a killer drink ask for a Valium! Classic dive bar and punk bar atmosphere.

I enjoyed playing there more when it was Lili's because the stage was set up across the back of the bar [[blocking the front door - you enter through the side anyway). Now the stage is in the corner and it's a little strange. Not bad, though. Sound is okay so long as the musicians listen to the sound guy. I played there for the Blowout in March and it was great!

Yes, the Trash Brats still play from time to time. They played Small's Bar [[10339 Conant St., Hamtramck) late last year. Check out Ricky Ratt from the Trash Brats and his new band the Luxury Pushers at Small's Bar on July 18 - they're opening for the Batusis [[featuring Sylvain Sylvain and Cheetah Chrome). Okay, </shameless plug>

Cool, thanks for the info and I will let him know. If anybody likes rockabilly music the band is Johnny Love and Speed and they're playing June 25th. My buddy Russ is the drummer. He was also part of the build team that won an award from the Alexander Bros. for a really nice 57 Ford at Autorama Detroit this year. IF you know anything about custom car guys from Detroit that's a pretty big honor. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to the show.

I love the Painted Lady! I live in Hamtramck and it is my favorite place to see bands. Friendly staff and good prices and if your lucky pickled eggs!