Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "Nuts To You From Kars"..."Detroit" things in odd places

My wife an I are celebrating Memorial Day by doing yard work. Yippee. But this morning at the hardware store here in my Central Washington town, I saw a display of Kars nuts, which blew me away.

Now Vernors is fairly common out here and about 10 years ago, some guy was distributing Faygo to C-stores. No Better Made, though. So the question I ask of Detroit area ex-pats is have you found any unexpected Detroit-ish items? What, and where?

It's not from detroit, but one of the groceries here in NM carries Schuler's cheese.

Faygo and Better Mades are in many of the neighborhood stores in Chicago. Now I only need to go a mile from my house to get a bag of goodness.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...BetterMade.jpg

This is the grocery store on 63rd E of Cottage Grove.
    Last edited by xphillipjrx; May-31-10 at 11:26 PM.

Well douglasm, on the "wet side" of the mountains here in the Northwest corner of Washington state, this ex-pat has located Uncle Ray's potato chips in some of the "scratch and dent" food stores...pretty crazy!

Im pulling Sanders Hot Fudge off the shelf in southern OH. Before I moved, I brought it down here to my uncle for years.

Kahnman.....
    .....we get some Meijer branded stuff at the local Grocery Outlet sometimes.

Where are you? I'm outside of Wenatchee....

When we were living in No. CA, years ago, we actually discovered a Lafayette Coney Island in s shopping mall! Apparently and brother or cousin of the Lafayette owner here in D, moved out there and opened his own version. Was a WONDERFUL flash from home.

They sell [[or sold) Faygo products in the K Mart at Penn Station in Manhattan.

9mile&seneca Guest

Once every blue moon some Vernors at the Publix on Wilminton Island Ga.

Not sure that this counts ...or that Detroit even really wants to claim them as a product of the D

but
    on a very late [[and drunk night) I came out of a bar in a small town in New Jersey to find a group of teenagers wearing ICP tee-shirts and freaked out because [[besides being drunk) I didnt know anyone out side of Detroit knew who ICP was...turns out they have a whole cult following thing going on.
    the guys wanted me to send them faygo, which I said I would [[again I was not in my right mind) but never followed through with ...not one of my better nights

I was out in California and saw a lot of Ford F-150s made in Dearborn and Foci made in Wayne, does that count?

9Mile&Seneca.....
    ......if you can find out who distributes 7-Up/Dr. Pepper in your area, you might be able to get Vernors through them. Vernors is part of the Dr. Pepper-Snapple group.

BTW, is/was that the Baskin-Robbins corner?

douglasm, I'm near Bellingham. I'll have to pester some distributors for Vernors. Although I just torture myself by sneezing every time I try to drink a sip of it out of a glass! Am I the only person that's carbonationally challenged? Serious, those bubbles spray out of the top a good 3 inches or more...