Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Indian Village Home & Garden Tour Sat. June 5th

http://www.historicindianvillage.org...ardentour.html

We were talking about this at the picnic, so here is the info. Buy tickets online and save a few bucks.

I'll be a docent at 1015 Seminole in the afternoon, so say hello if you pass through on the tour.

Thanks for the info Pam! I'm waiting to find out if I'm going to have company around; if not, I'm for sure going to check this out.
    Those homes are simply gorgeous.

southsider Guest

Good Luck Indian Village! I'm rooting for you. It could be a beautiful neighborhood if it were anywhere else, but Detroit. I lived in The Village for quite a while and look back on my memories there with sadness.

It could be a beautiful neighborhood if it were anywhere else
    It still is a beautiful neighborhood.

Is this a tour of the inside of some of these buildings or is it like something I can do anytime on my own by just walking down Seminole and observing the exteriors as I walk past?

Why do all the things I would like to do fall on the same day? I would love to do the garden tour and also want to do the neighborhood clean up in Islandview but I can't.
    I run an open air market stall selling herbs from 9 to 1, then my son who is getting married next week has me booked for the rest of the day. My wedding gift to him is to landscape the front yard of their new home. The grunt prep work is all done and planting will commence at 2:30.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Is this a tour of the inside of some of these buildings or is it like something I can do anytime on my own by just walking down Seminole and observing the exteriors as I walk past?
    You get to go inside unless it is listed as "garden tour only".

Pam: Do you have any idea what the parking situation is? Do you park at a central location and then shuttle in? Can you park on the streets of Indian Village?

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Pam: Do you have any idea what the parking situation is? Do you park at a central location and then shuttle in? Can you park on the streets of Indian Village?
    Parking info. is on the website I posted.

I expect to head over to Indian Village after my PW Cultural Center tour is done, so may see some of you there.

You certainly can park on most of the streets in Indian Village, although it gets parked up pretty quickly in the morning. I usually drive to a central location that puts as many of the sites within walking distance as possible. And I move the car two or three times as needed.

DaveWindsor: This tour provides the opportunity to see the interiors of about 6 houses each year. It's true that one can always walk through the streets of Indian Village to check out the various architectural styles and such, but on Tour Day, the IV historians put out signs in front of nearly every house providing its history, including notable homeowners. The booklet that accompanies each annual tour [[and it is your "ticket" for admittance to the houses on the tour) is very interesting. Booklets and posters from past tours can be purchased pretty inexpensively. It's definitely worth the price of the ticket!!!

Looking forward to this, especially the Seminole houses. Hopefully there will be a nice window of good weather.

Parking is never really an issue, aside from the streets becoming a bit narrow to navigate. Just take the first spot you see and do some walking. It's the best way to enjoy the neighborhood as a whole in addition to the showhouses.

I wished the signs on the houses listed the architects who designed the houses.

Fun tour as always. I was shocked to see an adult touching art in one of the homes though.
    If you are the owner of 1039 Seminole, watch for fingerprints.

I am sorry I missed this, just had too many family obligations going on.

Pam, please post any info you get about any other tours that may be going on in Detroit, I'd really love to do one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    I am sorry I missed this, just had too many family obligations going on.

Pam, please post any info you get about any other tours that may be going on in Detroit, I'd really love to do one.
    Well, the IV one is always the first Saturday in June, so mark your calendar now for 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I wished the signs on the houses listed the architects who designed the houses.
    I agree. That certainly would be a great addition to the signage!!

Would love to see some book[[lets) published covering various aspects of Indian Village's architectural history and notable residents.

I was there from about 11:30 til 3:30 and did not see any Forumers. Spent most of my time on Seminole and Iroquois, photographing houses and touring the 4 Seminole houses.

BillyBBrew!! Missed you at 1019 Seminole; I was there around 2ish.

My shift didn't start until 2:30, and that's when I got there. I was in the Parlor/Dining room. It's a beautiful house. Hope you had a good time Kathleen and everyone else who went.

I will get there one of these times...seems to always be a conflict. This year was my niece's graduation and visiting relatives. I'll do my best to hold it open for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Well, the IV one is always the first Saturday in June, so mark your calendar now for 2011.
    Marked!

roq: drop me an email at dkosh <ats> msn.com

For those that missed the tour on the 5th, this is coming up:

Indian Village Walking Tour
    Saturday, August 21
    11 a.m.

Indian Village is more than 100 years old and includes over 350 homes. Many of the homes you'll see were designed by Detroit’s most distinguished architects, such as Albert Kahn, Louis Kamper, Marcus Burrowes and Smith Hinchman & Grylls.

Tickets:
    $20 - Society members
    $30 – Guests

CLICK HERE to purchase tickets or call [[313) 833-1801.

http://www.detroithistorical.org/mai...nd_scenes.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    For those that missed the tour on the 5th, this is coming up:

Indian Village Walking Tour
    Saturday, August 21
    11 a.m.

Indian Village is more than 100 years old and includes over 350 homes. Many of the homes you'll see were designed by Detroit’s most distinguished architects, such as Albert Kahn, Louis Kamper, Marcus Burrowes and Smith Hinchman & Grylls.

Tickets:
    $20 - Society members
    $30 – Guests

CLICK HERE to purchase tickets or call [[313) 833-1801.

http://www.detroithistorical.org/mai...nd_scenes.aspx
    Hey Pam, are you going? I'd like to go, but wouldn't mind going with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Hey Pam, are you going? I'd like to go, but wouldn't mind going with someone.
    No, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast