Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitPole Guest

Default Movin' on up to the east side

I just bought my first home in East English Village. It is a beautiful pre-war bungalow with great stonework outside and great woodwork inside. I have already met 6 of my neighbors. You will find me on Grayton planting marigolds this weekend. I am so excited to be a part of such a beautiful neighborhood in this great city.

Congratulations...that's some nice housing stock.

Congratulations on your new home! And nice to hear of another house in the D with a new owner.

Just curious here, was it a foreclosure, short sale, or a "normal' sale? Do you need to do much work on it?

DetroitPole Guest

It was a short sale. It is in great shape. Just need to pull down the gaudy wallpaper.

Congrats Detroitpole.I grew up on Bishop off of Mack, spent my childhood there.had the house for 50 years.excellent neighborhood.

Congrats That is a nicer neighborhood. I used to live in East English Village. Grosse Pointe is just a few minutes walk away. A Kroger is being erected and to be completed by ends year. The location will be in the Village on Kercheval which is not too far from you. There are other markets and services around your area. I think that you had made a wise choice

I used to spend summers on Bishop btwn chandler Pk Dr and Linville back in the 70's those are some classic bungalow and tudor homes. Not sure how the neighborhood has held up crime wise but I wish you the best with your cozy gem.

Congratulations! Consider me envious...

Congrats! Several members of the forum live in East English Village, and I am sure they will be glad to have you as an addition to the neighborhood.

Oh, man, I'm all misty here...my old 'hood in the woods! LOL Enjoy!

I used to live on Grayton. I miss that neighborhood. Enjoy your home, DetroitPole.

I used to do a lot of walking around Kensington, Grayton, etc. when I lived on Bedford. I loved the EEV neighborhood.

Grew up at Harvard and Frankfort...enjoy the 'hood!

The area holds very good memories. In the late 70s, I rented an upstairs in a pretty house on Grayton. east of Chandler Park Drive... I loved living there. I loved hearing the occasional foghorn early in the mornings.

When I started dating a new man and started spending more time away from home, my roomie at the time would get bored and took to walking the couple of blocks over to my ex-boyfriend's house on Kensington for something to do [[we were all high school pals & still hung out together years later). She ended up marrying my old flame, LOL. It was OK with me because I married my new flame. For us it's been 29 yrs, and they've been married for 28, so good karma all around. They still live on Kensington.

EEV is a great neighborhood. I have lived here on and off since 1964. I have watched all the changes and it always bounces back. There are many EEV residents on this forum so I am sure you will hear from all of us. We live on Harvard near Mack in my parents home. Mom is still with us at 90 and we provide caretaking services. This really is a super place to live. Lots of shopping choices for groceries. Try Luckys on Warren near Finney they usually have strip, porterhouse or T Bone steaks on sale for $2.99 to $4.99. Only caution is to check "sell by' dates. Great neighbors, very walkable, very safe.

Welcome to the neighborhood! You should come to the community meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 9 at St. Clare de Montefalco Church [[which is technically in Grosse Pointe, right across Mack at Outer Drive). You've got some great neighbors to meet.
    Also, you should check out the neighborhood garage sale next weekend - you probably need to get some "new" stuff for the house.
    Last edited by Diehard; June-02-10 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo

Grew up on Bedford near Munich - lived there from '62 to '93. Went to Clark School. The houses are beautiful and all seem to be different - not like the cookie cutter subdivisions that came later. This is probably because the developer of the subdivision [[East Detroit Development Company) was in the business of selling lots to people, not really into building the houses themselves. Everyone who bought a lot had a different plan for their house. Prior to Dutch Elm desease hitting the area, there was a canopy of trees over the street that made you feel like you were in an old growth forest, with little shafts of sunlight streaming through. Made the hot summers cooler. The last time I was down there, the neighborhood looked a little rough, but hopefully it will bounce back since the houses are so nice.