Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why didn't Chevrolet put this into production??

See, Chevrolet was capable of designing very exciting stuff back in the days.

Via Dark Roasted Blend.
    More info.

It actually still excists! And it may come as no surprise that the designer of this monster was also the author of the Corvette Stingray.

I see no doors. How do you get into it? Does the whole canopy lift up?

There do apear to be doors.
    I would assume this was a styling exercise, expensive to reproduce on the scale that the car would probably sell at. Sure like that Kammbach tail treatment, though.

Default Corvair Monza GT Concept

Actually, the doors, roof and windshield are all one piece and swing up and forward.

Please see on this link:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...-Concept_6.jpg

This is one of many attempts to make more futuristic Vetts to the public, I worked on an aluminum bodied, rear engine Corvette in 1968, Alco paid for the design which never made it to production.

You mean Alcoa?

I just finished reading about Ford's Lincoln Continental Mk. II., a beautiful luxury car that went into production. I always thought that it was the recession that killed it, but apparently Henry Ford II and his brother William [[who was behind the Mk. II) got into a sibling pissing contest over the car. Long story short, the Mk. II and its designated successor, the Mk. III) were killed by several underhanded ways. The hideous '58 Continental replaced it.

My armchair guess regarding the Chevrolet pictured above is that the money men running GM squashed it. I think that only John DeLorean could have pulled off something like that in GM.

you are correct goggo, there was a dust-up between the fords over the design of the continental. i will try to dig out an article about the event and its repercussions. In short, the reason the Detroit Lions are the way they are is due to the Mark II.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    i will try to dig out an article about the event and its repercussions. In short, the reason the Detroit Lions are the way they are is due to the Mark II.
    very interested to read about this

If you look up pictures of '68-'82 Corvettes you will see many design cues from that car incorporated into the production model. All the Vette concept cars toy with design ideas and some make it to production. That car has alot in common with the years I mentioned which for its time must've been a very futuristic looking car compared to other models of the day.

Hmpfff. If it can't haul a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood home, I'm not interested at all.

So, what you're saying Ray, is that you'd rather have the 83 Fairmont Wagon [[yes, the hatch will close), and not the Fury with the Hemi, or the Crown Vic Interceptor?

Probably not produced due to all the negative Corvair press and lawsuits of the time.