Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help Improve Local News [Steve Wilson Resurfaces in Jacksonville]

Whatever happened to Steve Wilson?

Here I am, still working hard in Detroit to start an independent, non-profit news team to uncover the kind of stories Channel 7 and other local media can or will no longer support. Watch for the newly designed website and the first investigative report soon. Which public official may be headed for jail when this one breaks? Stay tuned!

Meanwhile there's a great new opportunity for you to get involved do something to make a difference and help improve local news in Detroit! Join me and others who care June 3-6 at Wayne State University for a conference to put our heads together and explore how voices often unheard or misrepresented can reshape the future of journalism in our community.

Whatever concerns and talents you have, come share ways you can get involved and make a difference right here in Detroit right now. Maybe you can snag one of four grants up to $4,000 to develop a project you have in mind.

Here's a link to learn moreā€¦and I hope to see you there.

http://journalismthatmatters.org/JTMDetroit

Steve
    mailto:wilson@InvestigateMichigan.com

Oh Steve, while I don't have journalism skills, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you're "still around". We miss you. I, for one, am tired of the bobble-headed nits they're currently employing. You have the grit and wherewithall needed to make a story actually newsworthy! All the best!!!

Steve - I'm also glad that you are still around. I'm looking forward to your website reports!

I too miss you, Steve. I wish you the best with your venture and will be anxiously awaiting your first report.

Which public official may be headed for jail when this one breaks?

Oooo, ooo, oooo, Mommie Kwame'?

Glad you are still here, Steve. Don't be a stranger. You are greatly missed. I guess Dancing with the Stars reports are a little more important nowadays. Ridiculous.

Stromberg2

Local news can be improved by having local news. I'm tired of having them tell me to smother myself in sunscreen to avoid cancer, only to have another report say that will cause cancer.
    I'm tired of the teasers that the next report is assumed that it will be after the the long commercial break, only to be 45 minutes later, and then only for 14 seconds !
    I'm tired of the chit-chat that makes our real world seem like a Milky the Clown skit.
    I'm tired of having my only TV night, on NBC Thursday, hijacked by the local affiliate for a crummy 80's movie instead of Office and 30 Rock.
    Can we tone down "Dancing with the Stars" and "The Biggest Loser" and "American Idol" and finally "Surviver" as news filler?
    We all don't have cable - so choice is unavailable now.
    And last, that out of town outfit on channel 20 seems to be the best in news in the Detroit Area. They put it out there, and the scroll helps with the local news, all at once. My thanks.

Default AMEN BigB!

You've made a lot of great points, BigB. Many are the reasons that thinking people have just turned off the local news here and elsewhere...I've never understood why the smart people who make and sell the news [[especially on television) can't see what's right in front of their eyes.

So, you're saying I should re-think the decision to hire Milky The Clown to deliever commentary when I launch The Michigan News Center? <grin>

Just improve the local news, Steve. I know alot of people here would appreciate it.

I don't understand all the opinion polls and amateur hour viewer participation segments. I can go anywhere and listen to neighborhood gossip. I [[used to) watch the news for, guess what, the NEWS!! There used to be something called professional newscasters and journalists. Now the on-air personas are little more than gossip show hosts.

Can they smile a little more while talking about a grusome murder? I'm tired with talking heads.

What genius thought up that tease bit? It's all over the country. I'm watching the news to find out what's happening
    here and now, I don't want to have to get up and go to the
    computer to follow the story and I don't want to wait until
    6:00, or 7:00 or 11:00 or get up at 4:30 to find out what the
    heck they're talking about. What ever happened to Dick
    Westercamp and 10 minutes of news, 5 minutes of weather and 5 minutes of sports. The 30 minutes of news is actually
    filled with commercials, hype, and follow up stories about that channel's other programming. A waste of time.

I'm watching the news to find out what's happening
    here and now, I don't want to have to get up and go to the
    computer to follow the story
    That annoys me to no end. They run 20 seconds of the story, they say "For more on this story, go to our website .... "

BULLROAR!!! You're a freakin' television news service. Run the dang story in full. Don't use the broadcast as a signpost to your website.

I couldn't agree more Bigb23.

I'm so tired of TV stations using up their airtime to do segments on their own network's shows. If I really wanted to know what was happening with American Idol, I'd tune into it to find out. What next? Soap opera recaps??

This might sound strange, but I really don't have a problem with hearing some of the crime stories. I know some people think it shows too much negativity, but at least it's real news. I'd also say counter some of those stories by reporting on some of the positive things that happen in the area. Make it about our area again. Report the good and the bad, but at least make it about our area once more.

And I know there is a LOT of fine things happening day in and day out in our area. Whether it's some civic thing or even high school sports run across the crawl would make it more about us. Go to a gallery opening. Review a local restaurant. Highlight a local band. Follow a high school team as they go out of state for an event. Who's the teacher of the year? What's happening in the Cultural Center? Is there a new exhibit at the Henry Ford? What about a new business opening up? See where I'm going with this???

There are some pretty nice things to be proud about in this area and we need to report on those as much as we talk about the crime & corruption.

See where I'm going with this???

I don't know how old you are, but that's what TV news always was. At least until about 10-15 years ago or so.

Moving away from local for a minute, Headline News used to be just that; HEADLINE News, breaking stories as they happened, live. Every half hour was different. Now it's 2/3 gossip and rumor. Then they go off the air every night for the gabfests. Weekends, they [[seem to) run the same half-hour tape all day, sometimes all weekend.
    Last edited by Meddle; May-29-10 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I don't know how old you are, but that's what TV news always was. At least until about 10-15 years ago or so.
    I'm old enough to remember the likes of Bill Bonds, Jac LeGoff, Vic Caputo, John Kelly, Al Ackerman and the days when we had to get off of our chairs to change the channels.

I think it's been since the advent of instantaneous news sources like CNN that really have killed the local broadcasts. The general populace also having a better access to the internet also doomed a good chunk of local coverage. Why see things told to me at 6:00 or 11:00 when I can go to my computer and read it there- is the attitude now.

But I think this is where local TV stations can fill a niche by doing unique segments such as covering the local scene better. I really do believe that folks like Steve Wilson can do local investigative reporting and make it relevant. I'd much rather see an hour of good journalism than four hours of repetitive mental pablum.

They assume that we are all connected somehow by cable and wireless, so what we get on TV is tidbits of news. And full stories on the network reality shows.
    Get real, and assume that we are all not connected, and we want to know what goes on in our neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    They assume that we are all connected somehow by cable and wireless, so what we get on TV is tidbits of news. And full stories on the network reality shows.
    Get real, and assume that we are all not connected, and we want to know what goes on in our neighborhoods.
    And even if we are all connected, all of the local broadcasts look as though they've been squoze out of the same cookie cutter. My contention is that they all do unique neighborhood pieces, find a niche and fight for ratings that way. Rather than being a follower, be innovative again.

I would love to see any of the local stations do snippets on local interests; I know I'd watch them a lot more.

Chuck_MI Guest

Local newscasts are dead in the water, just like print journalism. The only remaining viewers are old people who have, over the years, set aside a portion of their day to view a tele-narrative of the day's events. This demographic is an advertiser's worst nightmare. They don't spend money like younger people do.

They don't spend money like younger people do.
    Because the older folks are smarter, wiser and less prone to impulse buying and silly trends.

This older folk gas given up on local news. We're having the same problem in South Carolina. Every thing being done on the cheap. Half of the news cast is off a national feed satellite. And of course the your obese and what ever else they can come up with.

All we have here is what I call the everything's fine in the neighborhood plus community bulletin board news.

Bigb-I couldn't have said it better, you are so right. I find myself turning on wwj950 to catch the local news now more than ever ...has anyone else resorted to doing this as well? I think WDIV has degraded the worst out of all the local outlets, I can't take the campy, dumbed down, overly excited Guy Gordon and crew in the morning. I feel WXYZ is on the same slippery slope as well after Steve Wilson [[so great to hear from you Steve I miss you as well) as now Erik Smith are no longer there.....

I looked all over Channel 7's website and Erik Smith is nowhere to be found . One would think that for a guy who's been on Detroit TV since the early 60's , they'd give him alittle respect and let him say goodbye to us .

detroitjim Guest

I would like to see more local reporters instead of the "beautiful people" that are recruited from elsewhere, or at the very least somebody that can differentiate between the EAST and WEST sides of the city! As far as the stories that are being reported ,it should be mandatory for those who decide what to air ,that they watch the CBC Windsor news for a few weeks to see how its done.

Bigb-I couldn't have said it better, you are so right. I find myself turning on wwj950 to catch the local news now more than ever ...has anyone else resorted to doing this as well?
    I've tried that too - but the signal is too low for my transister radio at home, and they run at 60% commecials anyway. I'm at a loss for news all around,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast