Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Portofinos?

Default Portofinos?

Has anyone been to Portofinos lately in Wyandotte? I'm getting mixed reviews online and wondering if its worth the trip.
    Thanks

The view is supposed to be outstanding.

Went for a bridal shower there last summer. The food was awful. Even the bride-to-be complained. But, the view is outstanding.

Outstanding? You're looking at the east end of Grosse Ile, which is a brine field and dump. Even as much as I love the Detroit River and it's environs [[I still maintain I'd rather be on the Detroit River and the Great Lakes than the oceans), I don't think I would call the view from Portofino, 'outstanding'. Interesting, maybe. I used to enjoy the deck because of the comings and goings of boats.

Makes sense, the person who loved the views is an avid boat watcher.

I was there 3 weeks ago on a beautiful day. We sat outside on the deck. We both had salads which were good. Service, not so much. Enjoyed the view, but I'm a water/boat person.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    I was there 3 weeks ago on a beautiful day. We sat outside on the deck. We both had salads which were good. Service, not so much. Enjoyed the view, but I'm a water/boat person.
    I'm a boat, boating person, too. On second thought, and for that reason, I guess you might consider it an 'outstanding' view. There is almost always something about the water that is relaxing and soothing. I haven't been to Portofino for some time but have been there many times over the years. By land and by sea. I worked for one of the original owners about 30 years ago when they were building and opening it. I was never overly impressed by the food, but the location on the river was an enticement.

I go there several times each summer, food always good, service good, nice view.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I go there several times each summer, food always good, service good, nice view.
    Maybe it's improved and maybe I'm overdue for a visit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Outstanding? You're looking at the east end of Grosse Ile, which is a brine field and dump.
    It's a wildlife refuge. But you were close.

The food at Portofino's is good, but the main reason anyone eats there is for river view. That being said, if you're just interested in the view maybe save your money and go to Bishop Park or the park by the golf course instead.
    Last edited by SaintMe; July-17-10 at 08:56 PM.