Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Angels Night Every Night?

I just read a short editorial in the MetroTimes where the former chair of the board of Police Commissioners presented a plan to include Angel's Night deployment on a regular basis. I say former because he resigned his position when he could not get the board to move forward. Doesn't Detroit have the guts to try anything positive to turn this city around?

I don't see why without the correct planning that something like this could not work? Why not give it a shot? It definitely could become a sponsored agenda where there are rewards/incentatives for those who become involved in this type of community empowerment. They could start in areas the areas or districts where it's truly needed and beef up community and police presence, even if it's one neighborhood at a time. Retirees, citizens who care about their neighborhoods, churches, student groups, businesses, corporations, etc... could all become involved in a non-violent turnaround of this city.

Something like would have to be a serious proposal put out by the top dog of this city and supported by the state, and surrounding communities. But it really just does seem like they care. This is the time for Detroiters to come together while things like the light railway down Woodward are in the works and other positive projects are in the works. How not could businesses and jobs not be attracted to a city that cares about itself?

Maybe a shot in the dark or wishful thinking but all things are possible! Just takes a few influential, caring people to get it rolling and supporters to follow.

When we are dreaming alone it is only a dream. When we are dreaming with others, it is the beginning of reality.
    - Dom Helder Camara

excuse the typos and missed words... typing in a hurry.

Retroit Guest

I think it would be better to reserve the designation of Angels' Night to the period around the former Devils' Night. But I do agree that more involvement in neighborhood patrols, many of which currently exist, would be of great benefit.

Better response times by the police department would help. I have the police districts I drive in already programmed in my phone and am not shy about calling them whenever I see hookers, illegal dumpings, or other shady shenaningans. What really gets me however is that often times I am told to report it to 911, to which I reply I pay extra on my phone bills to support this for emergencies, not to assist the police in keeping my neighborhood safe.

Default two toots

'It definitely could become a sponsored agenda where there are rewards/incentatives for those who become involved in this type of community empowerment."

So sad. Far too often Detroiters cop a "what's-in-it-for-me" attitude when it comes to caring for the community as a whole. The kind of thinking that has kept the community looking like a hole!

The incentive or reward should be not living next to burnt out crap-boxes and a sense of pride-Not a $5 dollar off coupon to Buddy's pizza.

Not knocking your thoughts Miz, I think it's a good idea-just commenting on how difficult it is to get folks to give two toots when it comes to intangible rewards.

Retroit Guest

From the city's own website http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...3/Default.aspx

CALL 911 FOR EMERGENCIES
    Dial 911 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

• Police
      • Fire
      • Medical
      • Illegal dumping in progress
      • To report a downed electrical wire or lighting pole fire
      • Life threatening situations
      • Crimes in progress
    To report police non-emergencies: CALL TELEPHONE CRIME REPORTING [[TCR):Dial 313-267-4600. The hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week.

• To report an incident that has already happened [[such as a break-in or drag racing)
      • Get information about someone in police custody
      • Report an abandoned vehicle
      • Make a noise complaint
      • Report neighbor trouble
      • Report cable or utility theft
      • To inquire about impounded vehicles