Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Pretzels...

Default Pretzels...

So this NY Times article got me thinking, where are the best pretzels in Metro Detroit?
    I don't know of any bakeries that sell pretzels, someone help!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/dining/26pretzel.html

I dunno about the pretzels, I just know they taste AWESOME dipped in McClure's mustard!!

The only place I can think of is at the Mall. I know Eastland used to have a Hot Sam Pretzle place that was there forever until Aunt Annie's opened.

Sad thing was that a few months after Aunt Annies opened, Hot Sams closed down.

I really liked Hot Same, as Aunt Annies pretzles taste like crap.

^I second the Pretzel Peddler. If you want some good pretzels you gotta just go to the mall!

Nooo! That's the only place I know too.

No one knows of a bakery?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Nooo! That's the only place I know too.

No one knows of a bakery?
    We need to attract more Germans. No two ways about it.

How about the German bakery in Clinton Township? They show pretzels on their site.
    http://www.rheinlandbakedgoods.com/p...34d4e7f0f3f311

Well, it's a bit out of the Metro area but Lev's Bakery in Tecumseh make AMAZING pretzels! It's been a few years since I have lived there but IIRC, they only make them one day a week and people line up out the door to buy them.

They are much better than mall pretzels!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    We need to attract more Germans. No two ways about it.
    As a person of excellent German decent...I couldnt agree more

In Philadelphia, there are an abundance of pretzel vendors on the street that are basically hot dog carts that sell hot dogs, hot pretzels, etc. Wish we had street vendors like that here!

Guess we'll have settle for crunching on our Better Mades. Not the worst thing in the world...

DetroitDad Guest

A pretzel stand on Cadillac Square or up at Grand Circus Park would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    In Philadelphia, there are an abundance of pretzel vendors on the street that are basically hot dog carts that sell hot dogs, hot pretzels, etc. Wish we had street vendors like that here!
    Too bad they would probably get robbed or run out of business by the guy going around with the cardboard sign asking for change.

I'm sure pretzel vendors get robbed in Philadelphia. The reason there aren't [[very many) street vendors in Detroit is more likely the lack of pedestrians. And what I understand is the difficulty of getting permitted by the city.

Sunflower Bakery in downtown Farmington sells pretzel rolls - kind of a long soft bun with a salted dark crust. Great with peanut butter slathered inside!

Saw a street vendor selling hot dogs and such outside marcus market on cass yesterday. But alas... no pretzels.

Have to get my Mom to go to the Rheinland Bakery.This thread is giving me ideas.

I don't believe that any of the local pretzels can approach the wonderfulness of those available in the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia.