Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bar Closing in Hamtramck.

So as not to get this too hyped, I'm leaving the name of the bar off of the heading. The Roosevelt Bar in Hamtramck is rumoured to have closed this week. Numerous people have related this, after word of The Roosevelt's demise had been floating around for months. Any confirmations? It would be a real shame, because The Roosevelt had its own demographic in the Hamtown pecking order, and was an integral part of the bar scene here. As I used to say when I was open in downtown Detroit, and bars and restaurants were closing all around me, "a loss of one is a loss for all". My clientele came downtown in the early 80's loving the ability to walk from bar to bar - Shar-Lays, Cracker Barrell, Jack's Downtown, Crazy Craig's, Jimmy's, Victor Lim's, Penthouse, etc, etc. Some closings are due to natural events, weariness, sale, etc. But some are due to economic conditions. I'm curious if anyone knows the particulars in this case, if in fact, it's true.

I would hate to see Hamtramck lose another old-man bar. I wonder if the cigarette ban is a factor?

I saw people standing outside Roosevelt's at least a week ago. Can't recall if I've seen anyone this week. It would be a shame if it closed. I only go there on Paczki Day, but it's a nice spot with nice owners.

As far as the smoking ban. It's very very nice on the weekends when the bar gets busy. During the week, it's a bummer for regulars because most of them smoke. If it's raining, it's extra miserable. I assume that any Hamtramck bar that doesn't have people standing outside it smoking is letting people smoke inside.

Also, it's just not safe to stand outside of certain bars, especially just for a cigarette. There's been three shootings [[and one death, I think) outside of the Shadow Bar just this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    I saw people standing outside Roosevelt's at least a week ago. Can't recall if I've seen anyone this week. It would be a shame if it closed. I only go there on Paczki Day, but it's a nice spot with nice owners.

As far as the smoking ban. It's very very nice on the weekends when the bar gets busy. During the week, it's a bummer for regulars because most of them smoke. If it's raining, it's extra miserable. I assume that any Hamtramck bar that doesn't have people standing outside it smoking is letting people smoke inside.

Also, it's just not safe to stand outside of certain bars, especially just for a cigarette. There's been three shootings [[and one death, I think) outside of the Shadow Bar just this year.
    I feel sorry for the pedestrians and motorists who have to look at my sorry ass now.

The web site is still up, but that IS a lagging indicator, but their facebook page indicates it is still open:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamtra...t/123199991033

I got word today that The Roosevelt's closing is fact. A long-time member of the Hamtown community, who hung out there, said it's gone. A couple of other people said there's a post on the door. It's a shame.