Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Summer is almost here.

It felt great to get outside this past weekend. I hopped on the bike and brought the camera along as well.

Saturday in the Park

Lakefront bike trail. Seems to get more crowded every year. There's planned improvements including a $40 million flyover ramp to relieve some congestion

And of course summer sunsets are better

Last edited by wolverine; May-25-10 at 07:48 PM.

Wolverine, keep that camera close by you. You, sir, have the eye.

Super shots.

lmao! I looked at those pictures and thought...this can't be Detroit, that neighbourhood is too intact and clean. Seriously.

Is Chicago. John Hancock is the dead giveaway

[[PS -- if anyone eats at Harry Carey's, it is in the building built for the company my great-great GF founded. He was killed by a train before it was finished)

Great job Wolverine.

Thanks all! I plan to take a few more tonight.

rb, is it the Harry Caray's on Kinzie? That building is incredible. Probably my most favorite lowrise commercial structure in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Thanks all! I plan to take a few more tonight.

rb, is it the Harry Caray's on Kinzie? That building is incredible. Probably my most favorite lowrise commercial structure in the city.
    yep, dutch revival gem

gggd was of dutch extraction

Wow! Is this the building?

That's gorgeous.

Some recents

Loop

My neighborhood: Near North

L interchange

Gold Coast

View from the kitchen

From another window

Board of Trade

Beautiful pictures.

I love that gehry amphitheatre! It was very interesting to walk around the grounds there. Interesting use of the speakers as well.

Chicago, if you can afford it, is a great city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Wow! Is this the building?

That's gorgeous.
    that is it.

never been a fan of anything in millenium park -- or that tumor growing out of soldier field. i like the old stuff

Alot of people don't like the UFO on soldier field, which is why the original structure unfortunately lost its historic landmark status.

I'm going to try to grow some tomatoes this year despite the wild life I live with. I'm going to try to grow a couple plants in large planters so I might end up with a few myself. As I was digging in my garden plot, I noticed that something had been stomping on my day lilies. I could just imagine the resident groundhog giving my tomatoes an A+ after all my work.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post

Chicago, if you can afford it, is a great city.

I've found it reasonably cheap to rent but very expensive to buy. All the 1 bedroom condos around me begin at almost $300,000 with the ones on the edge of downtown beginning at $200,000.

A rented 1 bedroom in my building runs around $1300/month, but it's actually cheap in reality when you factor in all utilities + internet and cable are included in the rent. Also being right at Michigan Avenue and having a Walgreens at the corner and two large grocery stores a few blocks of way helps for the day to day needs.

Currently my monthly expenses are far lower than they were in Michigan. But part of the big trade off was ditching the car....a decision I actually don't regret.

With the summer sun comes the storms. Depending on the timing you can get some beautiful sunsets.

Here's a few I shot from my rooftop over the Near North neighborhood

Looking down Wabash Av